Steven & Cheryl give a hello from GA - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2018, 11:54 AM   #1

Name: Steven
Trailer: Scamp 16 1996
Georgia
Smile Steven & Cheryl give a hello from GA

We bought a 1996 16' scamp last month but have not had a chance to use it yet. Towed it home from Tennessee with our Ford Escape with ecoboost engine with tow package. It towed like a dream on the drive back.

Overall it is in great shape but the outside needs a good cleaning and then waxing. I saw the thread on that and will do that if it ever stops raining long enough. I will be replacing all the doors, drawer fronts and drawer boxes as well as table tops on the inside. We can use it as is but it is all original and the MDF is swelling a bit. I have already replaced any rusting screws and the door hold open latch on the outside.

We both retired a year ago and are looking forward to seeing more of this country.
newsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 02:23 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
Welcome Steven and Cheryl and congratulations on the retirement and the Scamp. We still have a few years until retirement unless we hit the lottery. What part of Georgia are you from? We will be camping at Unicoi State Park near Helen over Labor Day weekend.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 04:00 PM   #3

Georgia
We are 15 miles south of Atlanta. We have not camped in years so it is like discovering everything all over again; equipment, places, people. All we knew was that we could no longer sleep on the ground, getting soft but smart in our older years
Old 02-28-2018, 10:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Welcome Steve and Cheryl!
We must not be too far apart since we live about 20 miles SW of Atlanta. We are headed to the Green Eggs and Ham rally in Montgomery, AL next week, if you get a chance and a spot opens you could always come see a bunch of fiberglass campers together.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:51 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Steven and Cheryl!

Best wishes on your retirement travels in the Scamp.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:52 AM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
One investment to consider for your camper is a small dehumidifier. Here in the SE, humidity is high and takes a toll on the inside of the trailer. We bought a small one on Amazon, not cheap, but worth it. MDF for cabinet doors is a really bad choice and sadly, pretty common.

A nice close trip for you is FDR State Park. Another great one is Cheaha State Park in Alabama. Lakepoint State Park in Eufaula is another great one! A few close trips are great ways to learn what to pack, what you need to fix, or whatever.

We lived in Newnan for eight years.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:54 AM   #7

Georgia
Yes, with all the humidity I have noticed the inside and we have a small humidifier on order.

Thank you so much for the suggestions on close by destinations. We will be doing a night in our yard soon just to get a feel for the bed and space.

We are starting to get excited, but still need to get an understanding of running all the items in the trailer. It came with everything, I think. Heater, water heater, air conditioner, refrigerator, stove top, sink, shower, toilet, space for a microwave. A bit overwhelming and I have never dealt with multi powered systems or anything like it. I know the Scamp site has some videos and instructions I need to spend time with.

Thanks everyone
Old 03-01-2018, 12:30 PM   #8

Name: Rick
Trailer: Boler
Michigan
Welcome to you both. I'm almost with you on the no work but am with you on giving up on compacting the dirt as I sleep. I did that as well and am ready to try something new. Elevated off the earth!

Just remember, where ever you go there you are.

Rick W.
Rick W in MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:16 PM   #9

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Welcome, congratulations, and happy camping!

BEST
Kai
Old 03-02-2018, 07:19 AM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
Welcome Steve and Cheryl! Good to see your accessing past posts for information. That said we get new folks with new fixes and new ideas often. So if you have a task or a fix don't be afraid to put it out there. Since your new the old fort won't pick on you but I can tell you we love pictures, kind of like children's books, the pictures make them!
John