Switched thinking from teardrop to Egg - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-01-2015, 08:54 AM   #1

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
New York
Switched thinking from teardrop to Egg

Had the joy of taking family across the country seven years ago for 52 days from NY to California and back. Visited lots of N.P. and had a great time. Kids have gotten older now (off in colleges) and the 26' travel trailer does not get much use. Have been looking into building a teardrop because I love the simplicity and ability to get up and go without the thought of dragging a heavy camper and all that comes with it. But hate the thought of not being able to stand up and stretch. On are last trip up to the Adirondacks we saw a Canadian couple puling a little 13 ft scamp with a new Ford Mustang. I was hooked, this is the way I want to travel. Now have to search for an egg.
Just dodged a bullet yesterday. 16 year old son took 6 hr trip to Ohio to purchase a Boler. Price looked right online for a fixer upper (I prefer to do this) but then when we got there we were looking at guy who picked up a 500 beat up egg out of the field and was trying to make a 1500 off of it. I understand these trailers are hard to find and some people maybe willing to pay what he was asking but... after the stink of mouse urine over came me I came to my senses. I don't know if I taught my son or he taught me a valuable lesson - some times you have to know when to walk away and in this case no when to run.... Oh well 12 hrs on the road with my youngest and him getting some quality driving in lake effect snow.
Will find what were looking for, will use this site for ideas and insight. Any thoughts on buying an egg, what to look for what to avoid. I told the seller it would have been helpful if he had told me the mice had infested the trailer (wires nibbled on ensolite soaked in urine)
rocknboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:24 AM   #2

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
In addition to the trailers for sale on this site and on http://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com ,
you might try www.searchtempest.com. It will search every craigslist and E-bay listing within a specified search radius of a specific city or zip code. 😊

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:30 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Bummer Dan. Sigh, those dang Lessons Learned. Welcome to FiberglassRV!

For those looking to buy used, we've got a great checklist in the Document Center. Download it and print it out and use it for every used trailer you look at... or for corresponding (phone, email) with sellars. Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Buyers Check List

Best of luck!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:01 AM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Dan, welcome to the forum! I think even though your mission failed; you managed to stay positive about it. You made a memory with your son, and learned something to boot. I like your attitude. Stay positive and good things will come your way! Good luck.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:46 AM   #5

New York
Thanks for the replies and advice. It was a bummer, but will stay positive.... big part of the joy in doing something like this is the experience. My son said he would go again, probably will wait till its warmer so we can stop somewhere and enjoy the road trip. Will keep previewing the site for ideas. Thanks again.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:56 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Switched thinking from teardrop to Egg

Welcome, Dan! I agree that a small egg is a great way to travel. Compared with a teardrop, the luxury of being able to stand up to put on your trousers is priceless!

For some folk, that Boler you saw constitutes a "fixer-upper" (and for $500 might have been worth it). Some unbelievably sad units have been given new life here. It would help to have a general idea of your budget and the amount & kinds of repairs you are willing to do. Fixer-upper means different things to different people.

Keep looking and the right one will come your way!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:46 AM   #7

Name: Rich
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot Fifth Wheel
Texas
Hi Dan,

Welcome and Happy New Year from another noobie.

My first trailer inspection went better than yours, but fortunately it was unsuccessful. I drove four hours to inspect a Burro wide body. It wasn't in bad shape but it wasn't in good shape either.

On my second try, I scored big time... an 87 Bigfoot 5th wheel in impeccable condition. I won't get to see her until February but I'm so excited. (My nephew and niece inspected it for me.)

Best of luck in your next outing.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Rich Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:46 PM   #8

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Hi Dan, We have 16` new scamp. I thought i would be cramped, but as it turned out, not so. We have all that is offered in the way of conveniences, just not big. For a few people it works out to be very comfortable. We went new only because i am older now and do not wish to renovate, 10 years earlier and i would have made a stab at it. Good Luck, Carl.
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:09 PM   #9
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknboler View Post
But hate the thought of not being able to stand up and stretch.
That is a biggy for us too. Something in the 16' range would be minimum in size for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknboler View Post
On are last trip up to the Adirondacks we saw a Canadian couple puling a little 13 ft scamp with a new Ford Mustang. I was hooked, this is the way I want to travel. Now have to search for an egg.
Agree, sounds like a fantastic way to travel on a vacation. Too
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:11 PM   #10

New York
Jon in AZ, your right fixer upper can have many meanings. I am pretty much willing to work from the ground up if needed. The tough part is at what price and recognizing the amount of work needed vrs the value. Fortunately, I stumbled across this site and http://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/taxonomy/term/8/0 and was able to view what other eggs have sold for and in what condition. I appreciate our capitalist free market society and do not begrudge anyone from making a buck. I need to search for someone looking to upgrade or sell do to not using vrs the wheel and dealer. I have got an open mind and believe the right thing will come along. Meanwhile, I'll keep viewing this site and preparing myself for when it does. Thanks
Old 01-01-2015, 04:48 PM   #11

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We still use our teardrop occasionally, but buying the Uhaul 13 made longer trips more comfortable. Now using our Casita 17 we are enjoying the side dinette and bathroom, along with hot water and more storage. Still don't cook inside.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:44 AM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome to the forum Dan. I too looked at a few, none were really fixers but I put off pulling the trigger, just cuz. I did know what make and layout I wanted so that made it easier. It still took a year but on the plus side I only had to drive 80 miles away, not multiple states.
If you haven't seen different makes, sizes and layouts you probably should go to a rally. Folks are always ready to show off their rigs and answer questions. There is a rally map here you can look at.
You certainly have trailer expirience so that's a non issue. You didn't say what your tug is but you may want to check out the thread on what these moulded trailers really weigh camp ready. It's quite a bit different from factory specs. Tongue weight seems to be the biggest hickup for a good tow. I'm not sure how to give you the link for that but someone will soon. The "scaleman" did a great job of collecting the weights for us.
There are many threads also of remodels/rebuilds from members here. Some have gone from what most would call "passed even being a parts trailer" to works of art. There's a lot of talent and love for eggs out there.
Good luck in your search and remember, we all like pics
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:04 AM   #13
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hello Dan and welcome. One possibility for those of us who like to tinker. You can buy a stripped Scamp 13 new for about $9k. That gives you a new axle, solid floors, choice of a bigger bed and window style. Also there will be no previous owner surprises. You can then get your hands dirty adding the features you want and have a trailer for use right away. Raz

p.s. I think this is the thread Dave was referring to.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:31 AM   #14

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Welcome Dan, there are a lot more Boler's, Trilliums, Bigfoot's etc in Canada and if over 25 years old you can take them across the border no issues as long as seller has equivalent of title and vin matches, you get bill of sale etc. However it is rare to find a really low priced fixer up, most people know their value. Even at $2000 for a fixer up, you are buying a 40 year old trailer that has often been sitting & or neglected for many years so are usually looking at a lot of work.
You may want to look at newer Scamps, I have seen ones for around $4-5000, much newer and ready to go. Depends on what you want
Obviously people do get amazing deals but they usually sell straight away and you have to be ready and have money as soon as ad comes out. Also as you found owners descriptions sometimes don't match reality!
Good luck.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote