Tacoma 4x4 - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 12-27-2020, 11:07 AM   #1

Name: sam
Trailer: big foot
California
Tacoma 4x4

Can I tow a Bigfoot 17.5 with a v6 Tacoma?
tuna60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 11:22 AM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Maybe. What's your book say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna60 View Post
v6 Tacoma can tow 3500 - 6500 depending on how it is equipped. You would need to look in your book or in the door jam sticker. Then you would need to weigh the RV loaded for travel.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 11:46 AM   #3

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Scamp 19
Washington
I tow a scamp 19 with a 2006 tacoma 4L v6 4x4. Mine has a tow capacity of 6500 pounds with a bumper weight of 650 pounds, although I have a different hitch point. Like the previous post stated, check for your vehicles capacity.

I don't know if you have the tow package or not. If you have an automatic transmission, I would recommend having a transmission cooler.

Wayne
Wayne53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 06:39 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
most tacoma v6 4x4 and prerunner's I've seen came with the factory hitch package, which includes a beefier alternator, and additional transmission cooler as well as fully wired with a 7 blade RV connector, you just need to add a brake controller.

now, my experience is primarily with 2nd generation tacos, like the 2008 I had. major limitation was the total payload, 1200 lbs for my 'access cab' and 1000 lbs for a 'crew cab'. subtract 500 lbs tongue weight, weight of any equipment added to truck (fiberglass shell weighed aobut 150 lbs), and weight of driver+passenger(s), and you're not left with much to spare.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 08:31 AM   #5

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2010 Little Joe / 2010 2 Dr Jeep Wrangler
Colorado
Go to a dealer and have them run the vin #.... they can tell you what options were factory installed
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 09:22 AM   #6

Name: Luke
Trailer: Still looking
BC
Just because you can does not mean you should

I too have a Taco. Mine is rated for 6500 lbs. That said, if your vehicle can tow 6500 lbs, you should never tow that much weight. I use the 75% rule. I try to never exceed 75% of the max. I will tow up to 80% if I know speeds are under 80kph and I am going a short distance (like across town).

Also consider if you have an automatic or manual tranny. Backing up any grade with a manual can be difficult, especially if there are corners. Often times you need to slip the clutch and that will just burn it up.
Luke Where is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:22 AM   #7

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Where View Post
That said, if your vehicle can tow 6500 lbs, you should never tow that much weight. I use the 75% rule. I try to never exceed 75% of the max.

What criteria did you use to arrive at 75%? Wouldn't 45% be even better?
Old 01-02-2021, 10:45 AM   #8

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
I have the 2019, 4x4 crew cab with big engine. No problems towing my Casita, which is lighter than the Bigfoot mentioned, over mountain passes here in the PNW. I do not force it to go the speed limit up the passes. I let it go at a slower pace, watching the tachometer as I go. Passing lanes and turnouts are available for folks to get by. I've usually got an ebike and maybe an inflatable water toy in the pickup bed, along with the hookup stuff for the trailer.
slowpat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:51 AM   #9

Name: Luke
Trailer: Still looking
BC
Good point : ) That would also save on fuel use too.

I guess carrying a tent would be best, but that is not why we are here.
Luke Where is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:57 AM   #10

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Quote:
Good point : ) That would also save on fuel use too.

I guess carrying a tent would be best, but that is not why we are here.
I have seen the fuel use display go down as far as 8 mpg while going up a steep mountain pass. That's with me "babying" it. You make up for that when you go down the other side.

I'd guess my average mpg, from the unscientific method of glancing at the probably inaccurate display is 14 to 15 mpg. I am always going over a mountain pass, it seems.
slowpat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 11:12 AM   #11

Name: Justus
Trailer: Hymer Touring GT
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
What criteria did you use to arrive at 75%? Wouldn't 45% be even better?
I would also like to know this. In some groups I have been seeing people unequivocally state as low as 50% of rated tow capacity.

Never a source. They just "read it" or "heard it" somewhere.

But a Bigfoot 17.5 is well under 75% of 6500 lbs so what's the argument exactly?

I'm not sure if Tacoma's have it in the manual, but I was surprised to find that, per its manual, a Frontier isn't suitable for towing anything but a pop up based on frontal area limits.
Justus C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 12:47 PM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus C View Post
...I was surprised to find that, per its manual, a Frontier isn't suitable for towing anything but a pop up based on frontal area limits.
It's baked into the J2807 tow testing standards. It affects all brands, but not all brands address it in their manual. Ford is the only other company I'm aware of that gives a frontal area limit in their published towing guides.

The J2807 standards specify a minimum frontal area for testing purposes that varies by weight class. I used to have a copy of the chart but can't find it. Going from memory, I think the 2000# class is 20sf, the 3500# class is 30sf, and the 5000# class is 40sf. Most molded trailers exceed the frontal area standard for their weight class.

Common sense says a trailer doesn't instantly become untowable if it exceeds the frontal area spec, but it does increase the demand on the drivetrain at speed almost like climbing a grade. With some molded trailers the added frontal area is partly mitigated by a rounded shape, but a B17.5 doesn't qualify as aerodynamic.

My sub-2000# Scamp has a frontal area of around 35 sf, and even with the rounded shape, I can feel it when towing into a headwind.

It makes sense to me to allow some margin in your tow rating to allow for variables like excess frontal area, extra cargo and/or passengers, and/or severe towing conditions exceeding J2807 standards. I don't hold to any hard-and-fast, one-size-fits-all rule.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 06:14 PM   #13

Name: Ross
Trailer: Scamp
Ut
We have an 05 Scamp 19’ delux 5th wheel that we pull with an 04 Tacoma 3.4l 4 speed automatic with towing options. The trailer weighs in around 3200# all up. Well within the trucks specs. Between the weight and the engine/transmission combination it was a real dog in the mountains. Rather than buy a Tundra we added the TRD supercharger, transcooler, airsprings and electric brake controler. It does very well now though I wish I had a 6 speed transmission. I limit my self to 70 on freeways, no more than 3” boost and 4500 rpms continuous on long grades and it’s very rare to ever be in overdrive. Much to my surprise curse control is useable, with some assistance by anticipating hills. Braking is satisfactory. Oh it definitely requires premium fuel now.
TwinOtterdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 06:43 PM   #14

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
The key with most vehicles that anyone would even consider towing with is payload. I tow a 91 Bigfoot with basically the same truck as Ross, above. My tongue weight is an estimate, based on similar trailers that have been weighed, as well as estimating the weight of everything in the bed of my truck when I camp. If I'm honest, I'm most likely about 100 pounds over my payload limit. Any 5th wheel trailer has a huge tongue weight compared to a bumper-pull.

It's fairly easy to stay within tow limits. Payload is what regularly gets people.

People here can argue about whether it's safe or responsible to tow over your vehicle's stated limits. Like you Ross, I've put my truck to the test, and it's always performed, both pulling and stopping. I'd rather have a bigger truck, but I feel safe with my current setup. All the same, I assume I'm over my payload limit, and I don't try to fool myself about it (not that you are either). I give myself a lot of stopping space whenever it's possible, which of course it isn't always.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:36 AM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escapeó 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
I too have a Taco. Mine is rated for 6500 lbs. That said, if your vehicle can tow 6500 lbs, you should never tow that much weight. I use the 75% rule. I try to never exceed 75% of the max. I will tow up to 80% if I know speeds are under 80kph and I am going a short distance (like across town).

Also consider if you have an automatic or manual tranny. Backing up any grade with a manual can be difficult, especially if there are corners. Often times you need to slip the clutch and that will just burn it up.
The 75-80% rule seems to be a common rule of thumb
I got the same advice from the dealer when I picked up my new truck and from my local mechanic
It appears that a lot of these tow vehicle choices / discussions are based mainly on economics / financial factors , fuel economy and personal preferences with little regard to other factors
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:37 AM   #16

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
FWIW, with my F150, which has a tow rating of 9,900 pounds, I run out of PAYLOAD capacity with about a 5,500 pound trailer.

Its not like the truck ass-plodes if I cross that limit. At the same time, its what it is. The more "deluxe" the truck, the lower the payload. Post a picture of the door tag and we can discuss it.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:05 AM   #17

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escapeó 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
FWIW, with my F150, which has a tow rating of 9,900 pounds, I run out of PAYLOAD capacity with about a 5,500 pound trailer.

Its not like the truck ass-plodes if I cross that limit. At the same time, its what it is. The more "deluxe" the truck, the lower the payload. Post a picture of the door tag and we can discuss it.
Our 2019 Ram 1500 has a 10,600 lb towing capacity . When towing our 5000 lb (GVWR )Escape 21, with 2 adult passengers , our dog and a normal amount of cargo , we are at or over our vehicle’s payload limit and really close on other limitations .
I would venture to say that the towing limits touted in TV commercials are nothing more than marketing fluff
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:47 AM   #18

Name: mike
Trailer: CASITA
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna60 View Post

You need to post more info. year 4x4? tow package? weight of bigfoot? do you own the truck? how often you you tow.

I have a 2013 4X4 with tow package. I towing a 19 foot escape with no problems. with truck and trailer and all cargo I am 9200 lbs.

trailer empty is 3700 lbs

Year is important some say the newer 2016 and up engine does not tow as well.

I will say if i was buying a new tow rig I get a V8. I can get better gas mileage with a newer v8 than i can with 2013 Tacoma.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:53 AM   #19

Name: Philip
Trailer: Bigfoot 1995 B17CB
California
Transmission? OD?

I've learned never to use overdrive while towing my trailer as it puts excessive strain on the automatic transmission. However, my tow vehicle is a V8 Tundra.
Fullbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:01 PM   #20

Name: Carl
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus C View Post
I would also like to know this. In some groups I have been seeing people unequivocally state as low as 50% of rated tow capacity.

Never a source. They just "read it" or "heard it" somewhere.

But a Bigfoot 17.5 is well under 75% of 6500 lbs so what's the argument exactly?

I'm not sure if Tacoma's have it in the manual, but I was surprised to find that, per its manual, a Frontier isn't suitable for towing anything but a pop up based on frontal area limits.
Not true. I have a Frontier that is rated for 6500 lbs towing capacity. Have never had any issues towing. Mine is also mt. If I was to buy another bolero I would consider the 17.
Yellow Boler is offline   Reply With Quote