throwing caution to the wind... again - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2015, 12:03 PM   #1

Name: Leigh
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Thumbs up throwing caution to the wind... again

Hi!

My name is Leigh (I'm a guy, I know it's a unisex name). Myself and my wife, Spring (that's her real name also) are planning to move into a 1974 Boler fulltime at the end of August.

We've both never slept in an RV before, let alone lived in one. We live in the Southwest of British Columbia, Canada.

People think it's crazy, but it's what we do. 5 years ago I weighed about 300lb's, lived in Ireland and watched a lot of TV. I sold everything save for a suitcase of clothes and moved to Canada. Unburdening myself of stuff was liberating!

I got into activities that are free once you have the equipment like hiking, climbing, skiing, running and lost a lot of weight.

In the past few years I've felt too comfortable again. We rent a nice apartment now, have a stable circle of friends, a routine. There's an itch to throw it all away again and challenge myself to do something new.

So we bought a Honda Element and a 1974 Boler and I'm going to see if we can live in it fulltime. This is not a gimmick or a stunt, it's the next step in living a life unattached to a location and stuff.

I have a few questions though!

As I'm completely new to Boler Campers can anyone recommend someone living in BC, Canada that services Bolers? Specifically I want to get the frame looked at.

I'm also going to be using this camper through Winter. Any advice from fellow Winter campers out there on dealing with condensation and insulation in the Boler?

It's probably worth mentioning that I regularly camp through Winter as I ski and ice climb so I have sleeping bags and clothes for temperatures as low as -40'c. I'm interested in protecting the Boler in those temperatures though.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys!
. Leigh . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:39 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Gotta say, there is almost no way you will keep anything under the towing limit of your Honda Element (1500) lbs. and full time for very long.

BTW: Be sure to check the age dates on your tires and the condition of your wheel bearings..... Both biggies with new-to-us trailers, especially when they are 40 y.o. (as is mine)

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:46 PM   #3

If you look here you will see that Boler 1300's can (and will) weigh up to 2200 lbs.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

Old 08-05-2015, 01:17 PM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
But, others have towed, with a Honda, (CRV) quite a bit over it's towing capacity. But, be careful.

I'm a Trillium guy, so not much to offer on the subject of a Boler. Not much to worry about in terms of cold weather. Just make sure it has no water in the lines, or tank.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I know every thread is reduced to the age of your tires and the tow capacity of your vehicle ..
I think someone once asked about whether anyone used a toaster while traveling and they may have been cautioned that it might take them over their tow limit! Those concerns being a given...

You might want to visit the states during the coldest part of winter.
Your Boler will be much more comfortable if your time is mostly spent in more temperate weather regardless of the type of heater you have. Your Boler won't heat as easily as a house or apartment.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:34 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I recommend you rent the smallest trailer or RV you can find, then spend a few weeks in one before you commit too many $. That is, unless you have done tent camping for a few weeks at a time.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:37 PM   #7

Starting Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I know every thread is reduced to the age of your tires and the tow capacity of your vehicle ..
I think someone once asked about whether anyone used a toaster while traveling and they may have been cautioned that it might take them over their tow limit! Those concerns being a given...

You might want to visit the states(maybe Texas) during the winter.
Your Boler will be much more comfortable if your time is mostly spent in temperate weather regardless of the type of heater you have. Your Boler won't heat as easily as a house or apartment.
I see those two issues as a starting point for Newbies, and it seems to be a common tripping point...

Old 08-05-2015, 04:16 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I see those two issues as a starting point for Newbies, and it seems to be a common tripping point...
That too being a given!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 04:33 PM   #9

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
You did not mention what Boler you have, I assume a Boler 13. If not let me know what you do have. Regardless you should determine the trailer weight and tongue weight. If you need help drop me a PM.

We were totally new to RVing when we started 15 years ago. WE began by moving into our RV in the front yard pretending we were far away. You quickly figure out what you need. We did it for a couple of months. It forces to pare down and figure out the routine, not to mention it tests the rig and each other.

As to your Honda Element it is virtually a Honda CRV. We towed with a Honda CRV for 7 years three different trailers weighing from 2200-2600 lbs. We travel almost 8 months a year and put over 250,000 miles on the CRV and never had a single drive line repair, never changed the clutch.

There is much you can do to your Element to improve it's tow-ability. Again if you want help drop me a PM.

WIshing you well. We've been on the road for 15 years, have all over english speaking North America with our RVs.

Our son towed his Casita 16 with his Element and again never an issue.

If you have an automatic you will need to have a transmission cooler added. Our son tows his Scamp 13 with a 2005 Honda Accord, 4 cylinder automatic and had a transmission cooler added for $150.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:50 PM   #10

Name: Leigh
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Some really great information, thank you!

Thanks for the advice about a transmission cooler and the age of the tires.

It's a 13ft Boler. A friend has an older Element and regularly tows 2000lbs with it. We plan to have it as light as possible when we move it around, then basecamp in an area for a few months and explore. The Boler will only be moved once every few months.

Apart from the equipment for my interests in the mountains of Canada I don't really need to carry that much stuff. I don't drink anything other than water really (apart from a morning coffee) and my food needs are minimal. I'm used to multiple days camping in a tent in the mountains so all my gear and clothes are already very light for being carried in a backpack.

In regards to weight, where does one weigh an RV?

I'm a total newbie and proud. I had never set up a tent before 2010 or put on a pair of hiking boots. I didn't know climbing knots or how to ski. I'm used to being green and enjoy the process of learning new skills.

You can see some of the pictures from my adventures here:

https://instagram.com/pebbleshoo/

Living mobile out of a Boler is the next step. If the Element doesn't work for towing then I'll get a better vehicle. If the Boler doesn't work for Winter then I'll get a different RV, there is always a solution.
. Leigh . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:30 PM   #11

Name: sharon
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
make friends with the guy that mans the vehicle scale at the county landfill, get weighed for free
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:36 AM   #12

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We have a transfer station in our town. It's about two miles from us. Anytime it's open you can drive through and it weighs your tow vehicle/trailer. Come back and drive the tow vehicle through and do a simple subtraction. Obviously we're not looking for to the pound accuracy. You don't even have to be friends.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:18 AM   #13

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Leigh, I think You have a great attitude and congratulations on all the healthy changes you've made in your life. I think you hit the nail on the head when you say "If the Element doesn't work for towing then I'll get a better vehicle. If the Boler doesn't work for Winter then I'll get a different RV, there is always a solution"

About having a base camp in an area. If you literally mean staying in one spot for months at a time you will most likely be dependent on staying in a private enterprise RV park. In a little trailer like your Boler you'll need electric, sewer and water hook-ups to stay in one spot for that long. Of course there are ways around that issue. For instance, down in the Quartzsite area in AZ many people spend the winter on BLM land (that's Bureau of Land Management). Mobile pump-out trucks come around to some of the camping areas and people get by with bottled water. Many use solar panels for charging their batteries. Not sure where you could do that sort of thing in northern parts of the US or Canada though.

PS - great pics BTW!
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:48 AM   #14

Name: Tap
Trailer: 2015 17' Casita Independence, 2010 Escape 19’
Florida
You go Leigh! Have fun.
TappyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:28 AM   #15

Name: Donald
Trailer: Happier Camper HC1 (Subaru Outback Stranded Me)now towing with RAM 1500 Ecodiesel Major overkill.
California
Great Photos on your link

You have some great photos of the northwest. It looks like it is always sunny though, so now you have me ready to move north. Enjoy your new adventure. I start mine in a few weeks, though I am not getting rid of the house.
Don
Soon to be an HC1 owner
Dbybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:40 AM   #16

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Leigh We have, at this point, heard a lot about your ability to adjust to a minimalist lifestyle, and to adapt to cold etc. It would be a really good idea to investigate how your wife, Spring , can do in these areas. Your ability to adjust is going to be useless unless Spring can make similar adjustments ! Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:59 AM   #17

Name: Donald
Trailer: Happier Camper HC1 (Subaru Outback Stranded Me)now towing with RAM 1500 Ecodiesel Major overkill.
California
If the woman in your instragram pictures is Spring, it looks to me like she will do just fine. Don, Sacramento
Dbybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:23 PM   #18

Name: carleen
Trailer: On epic search for Eriba
Texas
All I can is WOW to those pics.
carleene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:17 PM   #19

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Many of your photos remind me of Ansel Adams' work.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:05 PM   #20
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
And every Walmart has a greeter..........
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote