Total Newbie! I'm looking for a camper under 1300 lbs, ideally with a bathroom! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2015, 10:12 PM   #1

Name: Michelle
Trailer: Currently shopping!
Alberta
Total Newbie! I'm looking for a camper under 1300 lbs, ideally with a bathroom!

Total Newbie! I'm looking for a 13" camper under 1500 lbs, what should I be looking for? I drive a VW Tiguan and just need room for my 4 year old daughter and I.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! So far it looks like the 13" Scamp is my best bet..

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
SuperMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:02 AM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to the forum. You would probably need to be looking at a standard 13' Scamp without a shower/restroom, in order to keep under 1300 lbs.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:03 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

Welcome, Michelle!

Check out this thread: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-43010-22.html. Post #297 has a nice downloadable spreadsheet. These are actual loaded-for-camping weights of various makes and models.

The 1300 pounds you mention is the approximate dry weight of a 13' Scamp, one of the most common 13'ers still being made. Dry weight does not include any optional appliances, batteries, propane, water, or any of your camping gear, clothes, food,… 1600-1800 pounds is more realistic towing weight for a basic 13'er, and that's without a bathroom (there is space for a porta-potty, which makes a reasonable alternative for middle-of-the-night emergencies). A 13'er would make a very nice trailer for you and your daughter, if your Tiguan can handle the weight. Read your owner's manual carefully to find out about weight limits, hitch weight, required equipment (like trailer brakes).

Another (smaller) fiberglass option that might work well for just two people is a Little Joe: Little Joe Lightweight Trailer - Compact Camper Trailer for 2 by Weiscraft Trailers.

Good luck sorting it all out, and as you have questions, fire away!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:30 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

I just saw your other thread, Michelle... With a 2200# capacity you should do fine with a 13' Scamp, Boler, Trillium, or whatever comes your way first. I think the main thing is to look for one with brakes. I'd skip a bathroom (most won't have it anyway and it adds weight) in favor of front bunks. When your daughter gets older, she'll want her own bed, and you'll have the big one to yourself.

Good luck with your "egg hunt." Your daughter will love it- a play house on wheels! I have two daughters, and they fell in love with our Scamp at first sight.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:38 AM   #5

Alberta
Thanks Jon! This is a great start!
Old 02-03-2015, 05:56 PM   #6

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
13 ft Scamp experience

Hi, Michelle;
I found a used 2005 13 ft Scamp with bathroom on this site. I pull it with a 2002 Subaru Outback V6 and my Outback hauls the trailer just fine throughout the Canadian Rockies. I travel with my dog and sometimes with one of my grandchildren. I'm not familiar with your VW - talk to your VW service dept before you buy.

Here's some things I learned while camping over the past couple of years:

- The bathroom: I've never used the shower - prefer campground showers (they're more convenient, bigger), and baby wipes/sun showers dry camping. The original owner said he had to refill the gas tank every 3-4 days if using the shower (splash on/ turn off & soap up/splash on, then wipe down the bathroom - more wet towels..

- Keep the trailer light, especially when mountain driving. I carry gallon jugs of water in my car and fill up the water tank at campgrounds. I only use the bottled water for cooking/drinking as water quality may not be great in some areas. I also pack most canned goods and other heavy items in the car over the wheels.

- I think the bunk bed/no bathroom layout would be more comfortable. You don't have to drop the table for bed space every night. The bunks give more sleeping options for guests (your daughter may want to bring a friend on a trip). I have to haul a tent for a guest, or sleep toe to head on one bed - impossible for my 13 yo 6'4" grandson.

- My Scamp has a low undercarriage, so bumps, potholes, washboard roads, rocky off-pavement roads are to be avoided so as not to knock off a valve (which has happened...carry extras). You may want to compare other trailers for undercarriage height if your camping plans include off highway. If you get one directly from the factory, the trailer can be elevated for an extra cost, or there are expensive retrofitting options. Personally, I stick to paved roads or well-graded roads - I want to keep my Scamp in great condition for any future resale.

With these considerations, I really love my Scamp. They're hard to find, but this site is the best, most safe site to look. I got scammed out of a lot of money buying one on Craig's List...the trailer didn't exist/was never delivered.
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:45 PM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Sorry about your negative experience with Craigslist, I have been much more fortunate both in buying and selling at that venue
But if anyone else is reading this
TRAILERS ARE NEVER DELIVERED BY THE SELLER
as a part of the purchase deal.
I have even had scammers tell me that trailers, and even entire motorhomes, were "Crated and ready to be shipped"
Of course, as I am sure 99% of the victims will agree: "But the price was soooo good" If it sounds to good to be true, it usually is.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:51 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
It's pretty easy to stow a porta potti for those calls to nature. Plenty of folks use them and they are easy to empty in bathrooms just about anywhere. Or were you wanting to shower in the trailer? Trailer showers are usually skimpy on water; wet down fast, lather up with water turned off, then a quick rinse.

Although a bathroom doesn't add a terrible amount of trailer weight, in the 13'ers the front bath adds a lot of weight on the hitch. Quite likely too much for your vehicle's rear springs and hitch attachment.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:04 PM   #9

Name: Joe
Trailer: building
Georgia
shower options on trips

once upon a time i went cross country with just my car and bathed in natural settings. not for the faint of heart.
once i stayed at a campground in wisconsin. they had nifty showers that came on instant warm for a couple minutes and went off automatically. i actually enjoyed that.
showers at other campgrounds were not as well kept.
the one at black mountain in NC was ok but the floor was not covered and such. always carry sandals now.
for the advernturer, a little outside portable shower or campground is fine.
but for a nice homey feeling, i'd make the inside shower work as best as can be.
definitely not carrying water until at destination (or in vehicle) is best.
c'est la vie. to each his own, eh?

wessonjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:17 PM   #10

Alberta
What do you guys think of the 14" Bigfoot?

Old 02-06-2015, 12:34 PM   #11

Can't say that I have ever heard of a 14' BigFoot. There is a 13' Lil' Bigfoot that I had one of. To the untrained eye they look like most other Egg shaped 13'ers. It's pics are in my photobucket if you have the link, otherwise ask and I will repost.
There was one for sale at a dealer near Summerland, BC last fall.
We liked it a lot better than the 13'Scamp w/bath that it replaced.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:42 PM   #12

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Bob, I didn't know you had a Lil' Bigfoot. I have been interested in them since I saw the nose cone. How do they compare to other 13" eggs? Wood floor?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:18 PM   #13

Overall I thought that the shell construction was sturdier and that there was more attention to construction details than on the Scamp we had prior to the Lil'Bigfoot. I especially liked the front bin, the rock shield and the tire cover, all molded fiberglass.
The floor was fully intact and I put laminated flooring on top of the wood.

Here is a link to the pics:
The Best 13 Ft RV On The Planet Photos by advocateone | Photobucket

Old 02-06-2015, 01:29 PM   #14

Alberta
Bob what a beauty! How much dit it weigh approx?

Old 02-06-2015, 04:01 PM   #15

We weighed it empty, after we added a water heater, new flooring and some updated cabinetry and got just short of 1200 lbs

Old 02-06-2015, 04:10 PM   #16

Alberta
Wow that's nice and light!
Old 02-06-2015, 06:11 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Were the Lil Bigfoot trailers the same width as most others... 6'8"?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:15 PM   #18

It might be a tad bigger and the corners didn't seem to be as curved, meaning more room in the Dinette/Bed, but not by a huge amount.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:06 PM   #19

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
The VW must have a very low towing capacity