Touring Musician who thinks fiberglass campers are great - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-25-2015, 04:11 PM   #1

Name: Cosby
Trailer: Currently shopping
New York
Touring Musician who thinks fiberglass campers are great

Hello Everyone,

I am a touring musician (acoustic and folk). I have been sleeping in my Honda Civic while on tour. As much as I love my Honda, I really would like to purchase a fiberglass camper such as a Scamp, Trillium, etc., so I can pull it with the Honda.

If anyone can guide me as to where there might be one available for about $1000. I feel I have tried everywhere!

Thank you very much, it is very nice to speak with you. Hope you have a great day, and looking forward to hearing from you.

PS: Here is a link to my artist website for you to hear songs and see information about me; Home - Cosby Gibson

Best wishes,
Cosby
cgib55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:27 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Touring Musician who thinks fiberglass campers are great

Welcome to FGRV, Cosby!

We also think FGRVs are great, but I think you may find yourself coming up short in a couple of ways.

One is the towing capacity of a Honda Civic. What does your owner's manual say? The 13' Scamps and Trilliums you mentioned will likely weigh between 1500-2000 pounds loaded for travel. See the thread Trailer Weights in the Real World for a reality check.

Second is budget. $1000 will typically buy a project trailer requiring a substantial investment in time and money to make it roadworthy and camp-ready. See the classified here and at Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers For Sale for current listings and asking prices.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:58 PM   #3
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Hey there Cosby

I played a few riffs in my day too.

Your Civic has lots of towing potential but are rated low here in North America.
You need to do some research to see what yours can tow. There are a number of lightweight trailers that will work. Google is your friend.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/ho...ear-61333.html
Attached Thumbnails
mini VOX 001.JPG  
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:09 AM   #4

Name: Felix47
Trailer: casita
California
Honda towing

I tow a 16 foot casita with an Acura RSX, which is a glorified Honda Civic. I use trailer brakes. I take the propane tanks off. I drain all fluids. I take all of the stuff out of the trailer including the battery, and I have taken the front air conditioner out anyway. I have not weighed it but I have had no problem with towing at all. When the A/C was in I thought it rode a little low but now that I took it out the back end of the car drops maybe 2 inches, if that. I got a much lighter A/C from Walmart and I just pull it out and put it on the bike platform in back. I do try to be careful to not take too much weight off the hitch. That can be bad too. Mileage.......about 24 highway never going over 55. That is about a 6 mpg drop. If it is windy I pull over and do not drive. I plan to take the vitreous toilet out sometime and convert it to a dry toilet. That should save weight as well. The fake wood doors could also be removed and replaced with net curtains. That would save weight. The water heater and space heater are more or less unnecessary as well. With it all stripped down I think that your Honda will be fine.
Felix47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:35 AM   #5
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Felix, your rig sounds interesting. Your Acura is only slightly smaller and lighter than our car and IMHO it should be very stable towing your trailer even on a windy day. Have you considered a WDH. I have no doubt you would notice a huge improvement in the drive and handling. You would have to look into upgrading to a 2" receiver instead of the 1 1/4 you have now.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:05 AM   #6

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Though you may not find it in fiberglass, you would do well to look at teardrop trailers too.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:08 PM   #7
Administrator

Trailer: Argosy
Registry
Another thing to consider when looking at towing limitations is how much weight you have in your vehicle. It counts and must be subtracted from the GVWR. Touring musician = gear! Are you toting a small sound system, a heavy cooler, several hardshell cases, water?

Add up the weight, then add your own weight and the weight of clothes, books, spare tires, tools, shoes, pets and passengers. Have you looked at teardrop trailers yet?
Old 08-26-2015, 12:20 PM   #8

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I have been shopping, obsessively, for about four years now. I have purchased six Trillium trailers. Other then the collapsed roof trailer that I got for $100, they were all over $1000.

Mind you that was in the Canadian peso, but prices have gone way up this year.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:07 PM   #9

Name: Cosby
Trailer: Currently shopping
New York
Thank you!

Thank you, Everyone, for your valuable replies. It is well appreciated! This sounds like a wonderful community, and very supportive. I am somewhat of a minimalist, so many things will be able to be stripped down. Love the ideas about replacing doors with mesh, etc. I will keep an ear to the ground on the forum, and hopefully soon the dream will come true! It is clearly essential considering having just returned from eight days of Honda living, lol.

Hope you have a great day, and looking forward to speaking again soon!
Cosby
cgib55 is offline   Reply With Quote