Trailer for taller people - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-12-2017, 03:52 PM   #1

Name: Joe
Trailer: in the market
California
Trailer for taller people

Hello everyone!

I joined this forum because we have a new Highlander, rated to tow 5000 lbs. So I'm thinking a 2500-3000 lb. GVWR max, to provide some margin for uphill towing etc. (Does that sound reasonable?) That appears to limit us to either fiberglass or popup trailers. I would prefer not to deal with daily setup/takedown, so I'm leaning toward fiberglass. Unfortunately, from what I've seen so far, I'll be slouching anytime I'm in the trailer.

Does anyone manufacture a 13'-17' trailer with a 6'5" interior height or better? I'm 6'4", so that height would need to be consistent for the main living area, shower etc. While we would like a shower and toilet, we would live without the shower if needed. Suggestions?
Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:36 PM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
I'm 6'2" and recently went to a rally to check out height among other things. Yes, you're more challenged than me but one thing to note is that published heights aren't necessarily our experience. I think Scamp is listed at 6'3" and Casita 17 at 6'1" and 1/2. But I found them the exactly same -- just too short, head at the same angle. Many owners there told me I'd adjust and it's probably true, but I understand you might not want to spend the coin to "adjust" all the time. A couple are listed at 6'4" or 6'5" (Escape 19 maybe Bigfoot 17) but consistent height through the area is tough; anything in the roof will protrude but where can make a difference. I didn't like something sticking down where I'd get up from a seat or bed or stand to work.
The Oliver II would give you clear room down the trailer but cabinets can come into play and I think it's well over your weight. The Parkliner is probably a legit 6'4" but I would pay attention to the A/C at my height. The shower would work for me but I think you just need to recognize you'll probably mostly shower while seated. Probably more comfortable anyway in these for taller folks.
On height alone Lil Snoozy is maybe a better choice -- nothing is on the roof, completely smooth inside. Listed as 6'4" I think but again that may be imprecise enough to fit you. (You'd think that a half inch clearance would always loom but it's surprising how quickly you forget about it.) it is all electric though.
Probably the highest is the Eggcamper at 6'7". I don't know if that's off but even if it's only 6'6", fine. It's also electric only (propane in some earlier models) but the big thing is it's no longer made. Recent reports are that they may gear up again though.
And wisdom I was given was that you need to pay attention to bed size. It's one thing to adjust going stove to table but another to spend every night with feet and head pushed on a wall.Best advice though is you've got to get inside some to figure out your fit needs.
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:56 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
I joined this forum because we have a new Highlander, rated to tow 5000 lbs. So I'm thinking a 2500-3000 lb. GVWR max, to provide some margin for uphill towing etc. (Does that sound reasonable?)
Not only does it sound reasonable, it is rare to see someone who does not yet have their trailer yet still understands the need to stay well below their tug's rating. Good for you.

Quote:
...Unfortunately, from what I've seen so far, I'll be slouching anytime I'm in the trailer.
IMHO, Slouching in the camper is not a big deal.
Trying to sleep in a bed that is too small, well thats a big deal.
So the bed should be the most important consideration related to one's height.

I expect you will get replies from people who know more about FB campers in general than I do, and if not, this topic has been discussed in various ways before in this forum.

All I can tell you is about my experience in a Scamp with its standard Scamp bed and air conditioning. I am 6 foot even and can stand up straight in the camper except under the A/C, on which I often hit my head. The A/C is annoying at times but the height of the ceiling is fine.

But the bed is the main thing. While many people find it works for them, I need to sleep at a diagonal to be comfortable because it is just a little small for me. If I share the bed, it is not comfortable (for sleeping that is).
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:21 PM   #4

California
Thanks Bob, for a detailed reply that hit all my areas of concern. The EggCamper does look cool and plenty tall. I just spoke to the owner, who's struggling with a bad back. He's found a potential buyer for the business, but no timetable on closing the deal and resuming production. I left my email - he'll notify his mailing list with any news.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:35 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Thanks Bob, for a detailed reply that hit all my areas of concern. The EggCamper does look cool and plenty tall. I just spoke to the owner, who's struggling with a bad back. He's found a potential buyer for the business, but no timetable on closing the deal and resuming production. I left my email - he'll notify his mailing list with any news.
We see a steady trickle of used units come on the market. Fairly steep price increases on the new ones in the last few years of production make the used ones seem pretty reasonable. They're in demand, so you'll have to act quickly and be prepared to travel.

If you can find one, that would be a great place to start!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:48 PM   #6

California
Thanks Gordon. Yeah, I just joined today, and I've already seen several threads about trying to tow a trailer close to the vehicle's rating. It just seems to make sense to derate by 40% or more - better for the car's health, better handling etc. I especially don't want to be going up even a moderate hill at 20 mph, and have to witness the funeral procession forming behind me.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:52 PM   #7

California
Thanks, Jon. The only one in the active classifieds was listed in WA on 6/9 and sold on Craigslist by 6/14. I'm encouraged by that, though - I can't believe that the headroom is the only reason they are so scarce and desirable. Must be a quality product.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:57 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
When trying to determine what a particular trailer might actually weigh, you may want to to check out the thread Trailer Weights in the Real World. Rather than use dry weight (too low) or GVWR (too high), the database gives actual loaded-for-camping weights (axle, tongue, and total) of various makes and models. Post #297 links to a spreadsheet.

I agree it is wise to leave some margin for unusual towing conditions. On my first trip with our Scamp I was towing at about 85-90% of our vehicle's 2000# tow rating. It did great until we found ourselves climbing a 7% grade against a 30-35mph headwind in triple digit temperatures. The transmission got too hot and went into limp mode part way up. No catastrophic damage, but we spent an anxious 45 minutes on the side of a busy highway without A/C while things cooled down. We now tow with a 3500# rated vehicle.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:39 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hey Joe,

I have a 2008 Toyota Highlander with the 5000# tow package that I have used to pull my 17 foot EggCamper over 20,000 miles in the last five years with no power or sway issues. It has been a very good combination for me. I am 5ft 4in so the height is not important to me.

I do shower in the wet bath all the time. Most people taller than me would probably have to shower while seated as the wet bath is on the end with the curves.
Ms. Gayle 2012-IA,MO,NE,WY,MT,UT,NM,AZ,TX/2013-AR,LA,AL, FL,GA,SC,NC,TN,KY,KS,CO/2014-IL,MO,MN,MI,WI IA/2015-SD,IA,MO,OK,TX/2016-AR,MS,FL,MO,IN,VA,NC,TN/2017-KS,CO,UT,AR,MS,FL/2018-IL,IN,SD,MN,Canada,IA, OK,TX,NM/2019-OK,TX,AR,NE,SD/2020-AR
Ms. Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:45 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Thanks Gordon. Yeah, I just joined today, and I've already seen several threads about trying to tow a trailer close to the vehicle's rating. It just seems to make sense to derate by 40% or more - better for the car's health, better handling etc. I especially don't want to be going up even a moderate hill at 20 mph, and have to witness the funeral procession forming behind me.
10-15% margin of safety works for most folks.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:23 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
ParkLiner's new owner

Have found the name of the company that bought ParkLiner, and other brands.
It is LIBERTY OUTDOORS.
The brands they have are:
Little Guy Trailers
Serro Scotty Trailers
ParkLiner Trailers
Bear Creek Canoes
Teardrop Shop
RV Supply Shop
Sundown Canoe Outfitters
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:09 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Being a bit taller than 6'4" myself, I understand your concern. We started with an EggCamper and I loved the headroom, but we decided we wanted something a little larger so we bought a 21' Escape, sight unseen. Escape advertises 6'5" but I can tell you that I can't stand straight up in it in any location, and the AC unit hanging down right in the middle adds to the problem - I'm always banging my head on the darn thing. I personally hate scrunching down and if we ever decide to move on it will be because of the lack of headroom. Since we don't go camping when it's hotter than about 85 or 90 degrees anyway, I'm sometimes tempted to take out the AC, but that would cause its own problems. Anyway, be sure you check out your potential purchase in person and see how you like it before putting any money down.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:43 PM   #13

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
10-15% margin of safety works for most folks.
I have been told on multiple occasions that for drive train longevity not to exceed 80% of the towing capacity. I personally like to stay at or below 60%.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:09 PM   #14

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
I'm less than 6' tall so I don't share your altitude concerns. However, keep in mind that you won't be doing a lot of walking around in a small trailer. I would concentrate on making sure you have a non-cramped sleeping arrangement. A good night's sleep will make it much easier to deal with the occasional head bump.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote

« Hello! | Noisy A/C »