Trailer School? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2016, 02:10 AM   #21

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I was thinking something more like your vehicle with one if the smaller enclosed U-Haul trailers. Get a friend with experience to go with you to pick it up and take it to a large, fairly empty parking lot. If the trailer doesn't completely block your rear view mirror, turn the mirror up to get used to doing without it.
Go forward until you have a sense of how it feels and tracks. Then try backing straight. Then try backing 90 degrees into a pair of parking spaces. Then take it on the highway. Start with uncongested rural or suburban roads. Then take it to a multi-lane highway.
How's that for a lesson plan?
Have to agree with Jon. But I do have a little side line story. Waaay back when I was 16 I wanted to rent a U-Haul anicensed clamp on bumper hitch. Anybody remember the clamp hitches? I remember my Mom arguing about me wrecking something with the trailer. My Dad hadn't said a word but then ask if I knew you had to turn the opposite way to get right backing line started? Yup, I did. Then do it. Well I did, no practice in any parking lots and didn't wreck anything....sorry Mom. Guess I learned as I had a commercial Ca license for 20 years. One thing I would like to add to backing up for new folks. The best thing you can do for making it easy to back up is "break" the trailer in the direction you want it to go BEFORE you stop your forward travel. Easiest way to see that is to think of what your TT looks like pulling out of your driveway but stopping before the TT is even close to being straight on the road. This is the angle you need to have your TT at before you hit reverse so you can just "chase" it back with very little steering wheel adjustments. Yes, you most likely have to drive into the oncoming lane but that's how it's done. Watch a few truckers get into position for backing up and you'll see what I mean...pretty easy.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:19 AM   #22

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Dave, I remember those clamp on hitches, even used one myself. In the old user's guide that Uhaul had for their camper rental it shows a clamp on hitch. I still have my CDL license but haven't needed it since retiring. Another point in backing is that a short trailer will turn quicker than a long one, and backing to the left is generally easier but not all campsites are set up to do that.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:58 AM   #23

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Outdoors Woman -- Survival Lilly :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown Naomi View Post
Hi Iowa Dave, I've never heard of "Becoming an Outdoors Woman" courses! The things you learn on this board!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Not exactly RV related, but on the topic of "Outdoors Wom[e]n," look up Survival Lilly on YouTube!
Old 08-19-2016, 10:14 AM   #24

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Congrats on your camper, and thanks to those who posted links, as I have been concerned about this also.