Trails West Campster - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2015, 11:49 AM   #1

Name: Jessica
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Trails West Campster

Hi, I'm new to this site! My husband and I just bought a Trails West Campster here in NW Oregon this Friday and can't wait to take it out.

Any advice or best practice tips are most welcome

Does anyone know how much these things weigh? In Oregon we don't have to register travel trailers with the DMV if their loaded weight is less than 1800 lbs.

Thanks!

-Jessi
Attached Thumbnails
campster.jpg  
JessiH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:15 PM   #2

Name: Rich
Trailer: 1970 Trails West Campster and 2012 Lil Snoozy
Kansas
Registry
More pictures of the outside and inside-do you have propane or is it just electric.
Ours is just electric-i use a small electric skillet to cook food.
Do you have a/c?
Looks like you have a top that doesnt fold down.
Rich and Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The weight is going to be different on all on them depending on what options its has and what you put in it. Always best to weigh it loaded up with your stuff in it.

Don't know where you are in Oregon but one of the things I love about Oregon is there lots of road side scales you can just drive into and use. The one mark Green light are for the big trucks with transponders - I think.

Here is a map of the locations of scales in Oregon.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:41 PM   #4

Oregon
It doesn't have propane - I'm good with using our little electric skillet myself. I'll have to get some pictures of the inside soon!
Old 05-11-2015, 12:41 PM   #5

Oregon
I'm just a bit SW of Portland in the foothills of the Coast Range. We have tons of weigh stations, you're right - I'll have to load it up and check it out!
Old 05-11-2015, 12:53 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I know for sure there is one located south west of Portland on the back road between Woodburn Outlet centre and Champoeg State Park that I have used a number of times. Totally unmanned and not high use so you may even have the time to unhook it to get they total weight including tongue.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:57 PM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
You would have to work very hard to get up to 1800 lbs in a Campster. I think that my Hunter Compact-II is a bit heavier and it comes in under 1400 ready to go.

If you just bought it, if it hasn't been looked at yet, I suggest that you get the wheel bearings repacked and the date codes on the tires checked. Any tires 7 years or older are generally considered overage and in need of replacement, no matter how Good they look.

As far as registration, you might want to check with your insurance company and see what they want you to have for your liability coverage to kick in.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:03 PM   #8

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I know for sure there is one located south west of Portland on the back road between Woodburn Outlet centre and Champoeg State Park that I have used a number of times. Totally unmanned and not high use so you may even have the time to unhook it to get they total weight including tongue.
Thanks for the info!
Old 05-11-2015, 01:04 PM   #9

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
You would have to work very hard to get up to 1800 lbs in a Campster. I think that my Hunter Compact-II is a bit heavier and it comes in under 1400 ready to go.

If you just bought it, if it hasn't been looked at yet, I suggest that you get the wheel bearings repacked and the date codes on the tires checked. Any tires 7 years or older are generally considered overage and in need of replacement, no matter how Good they look.

As far as registration, you might want to check with your insurance company and see what they want you to have for your liability coverage to kick in.
Thanks for the information! The previous owner did just put new tires on it, but we probably will take it down to the local tire place just to be safe
Old 05-11-2015, 01:07 PM   #10

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Good idea, but don't miss getting the wheel bearings repacked. That's the most overlooked maint on FGRV and the damage can be very expensive if you have a bearing overheat on the road. It's an easy job, even simpler than doing the same thing on the front wheels of older American cars.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:12 PM   #11

Oregon
Oh, OK will do - thanks!
Old 05-11-2015, 04:59 PM   #12

Name: Rich
Trailer: 1970 Trails West Campster and 2012 Lil Snoozy
Kansas
Registry
You'll have many good memories made with you travels.
There may be a few bumps along the way too.
We lost a tire due to loose lug nuts-check them each trip.
It's fun to decorate and show.
People will want to know about it so be prepared to open the door for a tour or two.
Just have fun!
Rich and Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:15 PM   #13

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Welcome to our little community! You will find a ton of great info here, maybe even some new friends.

The top of your trailer appears to have been added later in life.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:36 PM   #14

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Welcome to our little community! You will find a ton of great info here, maybe even some new friends.

The top of your trailer appears to have been added later in life.
Yes, we saw that too. It's really nice actually, it gives a ton of head room and some storage
Old 05-11-2015, 05:47 PM   #15

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I have one that may end up like that- right now it has unlimited headroom because I lost the top! But a permanent top is one option. It is a fun trailer, and I agree, you would be hard pressed to top 1800 lbs unless that top is made of lead or you really carry a lot of stuff.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:25 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
to FiberglassRV Jessica. Your Campster looks like a hybrid of sorts comparible to the Havasu, which has a permanent bump up on the roof rather than a poptop roof. I think you've got the best of both worlds
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:40 PM   #17

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
to FiberglassRV Jessica. Your Campster looks like a hybrid of sorts comparible to the Havasu, which has a permanent bump up on the roof rather than a poptop roof. I think you've got the best of both worlds
Thanks - I agree!
Old 05-12-2015, 03:46 PM   #18

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Well, the downside is that it no longer fits into a 7 foot garage door opening. But as long as that isn't a problem (which it isn't for me anymore, either) it's a nice solution.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:00 PM   #19

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Well, the downside is that it no longer fits into a 7 foot garage door opening. But as long as that isn't a problem (which it isn't for me anymore, either) it's a nice solution.
It's not a problem for us either - we have a larger covered area for it

Tags
campster, trails west

« Hi | Hi »