Triggs owner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2014, 08:23 AM   #1

Name: Joy
Trailer: Triggs
Iowa
Triggs owner

I own a 1988 Triggs goose-neck horse trailer with living quarters and I want to change things. I need to learn about fiberglass to see if my ideas will work. This trailer is mostly camper. It is a straight load trailer for two horses. If anyone wishes to know more details about straight load trailers I can explain more. can I make a drawing of the floor plan and post it? I would like to; at the very least change the poor design of the bathroom area and preferably the eating area too. That would mean changing a wall. A man I know that works on trailers says if he does it, it will cost more than I paid for the trailer. But he said that if he owned the trailer he would do it. He told me a few things but I am scared of doing the work. I have a bunch of questions and a Dilemma.

One question I have is about the floor. the camper section has real wood parquet flooring. I do not think it is original but I do not know. Can I just pry it up and replace it with linoleum?

Another question I have is how to add a little more 2"x6" horse strength flooring. If I make the changes I really want to make the horses will stand at an angle instead of going straight in ( called slant load). This is very popular and I think would be an advantage in my case. But that means changing the wall between the horses and the living area. The bathroom area has a nasty plain fiberglass floor and is next to the horse area. In changing it to a slant wall I would have to use part of the bathroom area for the horses and so would have to add a small amount more of the 2x6 flooring. Can that be done? what would it take to do it? Cutting the wall loose and turning it at an angle would not be a lot of work but do able. I would have to add some to the fiberglass wall and seal it back to the ceiling in the new place, but the flooring is what I am worried about.

I have owned this goose-neck horse trailer with living quarters for about 3 years and have used it very little. One reason is: the water and the bathroom and refrigerator do not work. The water pump works and the water heater works but the pipes have leaks. I can replace the old plastic pipes but if I am going to change the bathroom configuration I want to wait and do the pipes then.

I don't have much money to spend and do not know how much it would cost to do some of these things. At the very least I would like to change the eating arrangement. right now there is a bench on the right and a bench on the left with the table in between. the bathroom door is behind the table. so If someone wants to go through that door we have to disasemble the table and move it. I would like to have two seats on the left with a smaller table in between that could be lowered to make a couch/bed. but the problem I have with that is the water tank is under the left bench. I would need two smaller water tanks or some other arrangement. I am just in thinking stage right now.
stoneponyiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:13 AM   #2

Name: Eric and Sharon
Trailer: Burro
Ohio
Registry
Hi Joy! Sounds like you have a unique situation with lots of work. I bet everyone would like to see some pictures of your project. Of course, we are new too and haven't got the picture thing down yet.
Eric Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:04 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hello Joy. If you've done any reading, you've come to realize that FiberglassRV has a forum focus on lightweight all molded towables which is a different build type than your Triggs.

I respectfully suggest you search for a forum that can provide you the answers you week. Perhaps one such as: Horse Trailer World. I found a thread there that speaks to the history of the Triggs: Horse Trailer World : Trailer Talk : Trailer Gurus...Anyone know any history on Triggs Trailers?

Best of luck
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:32 AM   #4

Iowa
Thanks for talking to me about it. If people on this site do not mind I could maybe include a couple of pictures. I measured last night and without taking out the closet with chest of drawers and a water tank under it I could not turn the table and benches so that they would be along one wall. Hummmm more thinking.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:40 AM   #5

Iowa
I will go to the site mentioned by Donna D. I have searched different sites for some time now and had not found places where people were actually remodelling a Triggs. I was just hoping that the people on this site would be good enough to teach me some stuff even if it is only where to look for answers. Someone pmed me last night and said that my trailer is made of mostly sheet fiberglass which I did not know. I have tried all kinds of words to put in the search bar and have seen lots of nice fun stuff but nothing that would help me with my problems. Like how to fix the broken water pipe. If you will let me hang around for a while so I can learn terms and sites to go to I would appreciate it.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:02 AM   #6

Iowa
picture of eating area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
Hi Joy! Sounds like you have a unique situation with lots of work. I bet everyone would like to see some pictures of your project. Of course, we are new too and haven't got the picture thing down yet.
I have attached a picture of the eating area. I do not know if it is called a dinette. The closet is on the left and the refrigerator is on the right. the table is just a piece of left over counter top from my house. It does not fit and is very wobbly. And the table is the wrong shape. I have to lift the table off the legs to sit on the right bench/couch. I do not know where to get the metal things that the metal legs fit into under the table. The table is in the way of the door that goes to where the shower and toilet are. I hesitate to call it a bathroom as it is outside the camper part and is not heated and the water from the shower falls directly on the ground. Also if you are in the shower someone can open an out side door right beside you but you have no handle on the inside of that door to lock it or even to get out. It opens only from the outside. Do you think this is original? It is stupid. The people I got it from used the trailer for years and kept telling me it was a great starter trailer.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:16 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Joy, I see you're now registered at Horse Trailer World. I think members there will be a lot more help than we can be here, honestly.

When it comes to a slab-sided trailer, remember.. they are more a like than different. They use the same appliances, fasteners, etc. Do not be afraid to read solutions posted by a different brand of horse trailer manufacture. Just like our all molded towables use the same stuff for our build type solutions for a Scamp may work very well for a Casita, etc.

Best of luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote