Trillium Remodel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Trillium Remodel

Well, I have finally completed the Trillium. I used a lot of techniques and recommendations from this site to make the Trillium my very own. I want to appreciate the members of this site for posting there ideas and suggestions, without there help this project would have taken me alot longer than it did.

The Trillium was left unattended for many years and was in pretty bad condition. All the windows leaked, the roof vent had a big hole in it, and the interior foam was gone. The original furnace had been removed, and the stove, refrigerator and power converter were completely covered in rust. There were no cabinet fronts or door lock/handle. The outside gel coat was in really bad shape as well. The Trillium did have all the windows w/screens, and good frame and no major cracks in the shell.

The trillium is going to be mainly used for remote camping for weeks at a time. I wanted something that would use very little power, weather resistant, lightweight, durable, rodent proof and warm in the winter.

Listed below are modifications that I have completed YTD:
  1. I removed the refrigerator, freezer and water inlets and used fiberglass and cardboard to fill in the openings.
  2. Removed belly band and filled in the seam ( the worst part of the entire remodel).
  3. Removed all widows, polished frames, installed new interior wood frames and resealed.
  4. removed shell from frame, painted trailer frame and undercoated shell
  5. new tires
  6. installed new door lock and hinges.
  7. new tail lights and rewired trailer.
  8. installed exterior power outlet, so I can hook up to a generator.
  9. new gas lines for heater and stove top.
  10. rock guard on bottom half of entire trailer.
  11. painted entire inside and outside of trailer (2 coats).
  12. Removed PO's installed roof vent and replaced with 6" power vent.
  13. All new drawer fronts and cabinet fronts.
  14. new laminate on counter top.
  15. fabricated and installed a water jug drawer.
  16. New front dinette cushions.
  17. Painted front table (my daughter wanted it to be fire engine red?)
  18. new rat fur interior over the top of 3/8" closed cell foam insulation.
  19. insulated door.
  20. installed battery operated LED lights
  21. constructed plexiglass storm windows for winter camping.
  22. fabricated and installed rear bunk/ storage area.
  23. insulated storage areas under rear bunk and dinnete.
I originally bought the Trillium for $500 and have about $1500 invested in parts and tools to complete the project.
I finished the main parts of the project in the fall of 2012 and have used her in both winter and summer camping and am completly satisfied with the results. I do still have some other minor details and projects that i still want to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Trillium 001.jpg   Trillium 004.jpg  

Trillium 005.jpg   Trillium 002.jpg  

paul friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Nice work.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #3

Thanks.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
WOW! Impressive rebuild with all that you had to do... Thanks for sharing the pics. I hope you make a ton of memories going forward
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #5

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Nice! I like the panels in the cupboard door frames.
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #6

Thanks. I used the metal panels so that i would get air circulation in the cupboards. i have found that while winter camping, cupboards with solid fronts will be a spot for moisture to collect.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #7

Name: parts
Trailer: In the market
California
it looks like you have a bunk over the main bed?

looks nice
partsbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:24 AM   #8

Name: Jackie
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Great job, Paul, and very inspiring as I get started on fixing up my Trillium.
JackieGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #9

Name: Deb & Dave
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Ontario
Looks great. We have a 1976 and are considering a rebuild but weren't sure on the cost - this gives us an idea if you do the work yourself. We are not handy at all - has anyone taken it in for a rebuild and any ideas on cost? It's the interior that is suffering.
deb_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb_dave View Post
Looks great. We have a 1976 and are considering a rebuild but weren't sure on the cost - this gives us an idea if you do the work yourself. We are not handy at all - has anyone taken it in for a rebuild and any ideas on cost? It's the interior that is suffering.
Well, at $100 / hr, it becomes expensive fast. If you start a new thread, with pictures of your issues, you will get lots of advice how to deal with them.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #11

partsbin, Yes there is a rear bunk over the main bed. It is mainly used for storage (Rubbermaid totes work great) as I mostly camp alone. I have slept on it (6'4" and 190lbs), but I was a little long. A 6'ft person would be about the max for a comfortable nights sleep.
The bunk is made from aluminum and is supported by homemade wood brackets that are attached to the internal wood window frames of the side and rear windows.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #12

deb dave, This was my first remodel. With a little ingenuity, some fore thought, and a lot of help from the members here, anyone is capable of doing a remodel.
I suggest that you think about what you want your trailer to be, research ideas suggestions and processes here, and take your time. The biggest expense is your time.
I borrowed most of the tools to complete the work and asked allot of questions to achieve the best possible results.
"The only dumb question is one that is not asked".
Old 09-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #13

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul friedrich View Post
Yes, there is a rear bunk over the main bed. It is mainly used for storage (Rubbermaid totes work great) as I mostly camp alone. I have slept on it (6'4" and 190lbs), but I was a little long. A 6'ft person would be about the max for a comfortable nights sleep.
The bunk is made from aluminum and is supported by homemade wood brackets that are attached to the internal wood window frames of the side and rear windows.
Paul, Could you please post pictures of how the bunk stores / deploys. I have all the parts, but I can't figure out how to install the various pieces of hardware, or even how it works.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Paul, Could you please post pictures of how the bunk stores / deploys. I have all the parts, but I can't figure out how to install the various pieces of hardware, or even how it works.
David, My bunk is one of my own designs. My trillium originally had one, but the only parts that remained were the wall brackets. If you want to post a pick of the parts, I or other members may be able to help you figure it out. I have a good idea how they work, but it would be hard to explain.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #15

Name: Ron & Judy
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Hi Paul: great reno. Was wondering what you used for heating as the furnace was gone and I don't see a replacement in the pictures.

Tags
trillium