Trying to take the plunge - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #1

Name: Jeff short for Jennifer
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1977
North Carolina
Trying to take the plunge

Hi, never have owned travel trailer, looking at three different ones, we have always traveled lite, but now want to be able to travel with one huge and one med dog. Trying to decide between a 1972 Trillium, in very decent shape, would need to add a Fantastic Fan and probably one of those covers that look like it would allow it to stay open while driving??

OR- 2007 Tab, have not looked at it yet, but pictures sure are pretty, having some heat/AC in NC would be nice, but it is so much heavier, the lightness of the Trillium is very appealing.

OR a 2010 KZ sportsman, again, very pretty pictures, have not laid eyes on it. Doesn't have the personality of the other two, but the amenities of the Tab.

All are within the same ball park in price. We will probably use a Ford Ranger to tow, or maybe, and this would be my preference, 1997 Honda CRV, but husband thinks Ford a better bet.

I know this is just so darn vague, but any insights would be so appreciated.

If we did the vintage one I am not one bit attached to keeping it vintage, more interested in putting my style and name on it. Form, function and the 60's please.

We will be 2 adults, both under 66inches , one Irish Wolfhound and the Tater dog.

Thanks, Jennifer 58 YO RN looking to retire in 2/13
Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Jennifer,

I spent a year deciding between our 13 Scamp and the T@B. I am so very glad that we got the Scamp. after spending time between the two units I am convinced we have more usable space.

We do not sleep together. The big draw of the T@B to me was the large bed. But we removed the back (top) bunk which makes the front lower bunk a bit wider. Now we have our own beds. The aisle area in the 13 Scamp without bath is larger than the stand up area in the T@B.

You did not say the length of the Trillium. I would want to go the fiberglass way. Have a good time with whatever works for you.

Don't want to get in trouble here but I would not tow the T@B with a CRV. Would have to be very careful with weight on anything you pull with that. I just know the T@B has a much larger frontal mass than our little Scamp.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Which Trillium 1300 or 4500?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:35 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Um, I am having trouble picturing that Wolfhound.

It would not be welcome in my 30 wide bunk. Guess whoever sleeps with it gets the larger back bunk.

nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Not sure what a Tater dog is but a front bunk is deeper than your average couch. Maybe the Humans share their own bed.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #6

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I have a 2000 CRV and did not use it for towing my 13 ft Trillium as !st gen CRV's have towing capacity of 1500lbs and my Trillium weighed that with nothing in it. But luckily you will have your ford ranger for that!
You will certainly get most people here saying go with fiberglass if you want something that will last. I do like the look of Tab's but when i researched them there seemed to be lots of foks with issues.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Jennifer, to FiberglassRV. Decisions, decisions. We know molded isn't for everyone... wrong layout, wrong budget, wrong weight, etc. But... what do you REALLY think we're going to say? The Trillium of course! Five years from now, you'll be money ahead by getting all molded. And while we don't have a crystal ball... all you need to do is look at resale value. A 40 year old trailer selling for about the same as one 5 years old or 2 years old? YOU did say "All are within the same ball park in price."

Good luck with your decision, I hope you get to join us here as molded owner!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
I can imagine a wolfhound being quite comfortable on the front couch of the Trillium but... what is a Tater dog?
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #9

North Carolina
you guys rock, this is so helpful. Tater Dog is a little mutt we have, he rules the house.

I guess it makes sense that the fiberglass folk would favor the Trillium, but I have to say that I am also starting to lean that way. I do hate having to tell my husband he is right about the Ford vs the CRV.....

You all just don't know Irish Wolfhounds! they snuggle so well it feels much smaller, yes he will have the couch, Tater Dog will sleep with us. More questions to follow.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #10

North Carolina
Just double-checked and the Trillium's a 1300. Thanks for all the help, folks!
(This is the husband who says his V-6 Ranger may not be able to get out of the driveway after a snowstorm, but it can sure as heck pull a Trillium easier than a CRV!)
Old 08-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #11

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie
You all just don't know Irish Wolfhounds! they snuggle so well it feels much smaller, yes he will have the couch, Tater Dog will sleep with us.
The only problem your wolfhound will have is that first early morning stretch.
I do know wolfhounds and I like them. They are one of the few breeds we can be sure to beat when my Ridgeback girl is lure coursing. ;=)
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Absolutely right! I have a Ranger - 3.0L V6 5 spd., and it pulls my Trillium 1300 just fine. It is also the most cowardly thing I've ever driven in terms of traction - I have had it get stuck on DRY GRASS with a very slight uphill slope! In the winter, it's off the road until the snow goes away...

My Trillium (a '74) weighs 1,500 lbs. dry, according to the manufacturer's sticker inside the hanging cupboard door. The '91 Ranger is rated to tow 2,450 lbs - a nice margin. The CRV might find the Trillium, fully loaded, a struggle on the hills. Also remember that a vehicle may not be able to stop as much as it is rated to tow, especially in emergency stops, and even more so if the trailer isn't equipped with brakes...

The Trillium isa fine camper, and I, like others above, think that fiberglass trailers are heads and shoulders over other designs. How how does fiberglass last? We don't really know, since it's only been around for 75 years or so...
Richard Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #13
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
Newbie:

I do envy you. I owned (or did he own me) an Irish Wolfhound some years ago and he brought incredible pleasure to my life and made an excellent travelling companion. So long as he knew which bed was his he was happy and settled in to the RV lifestyle nicely - quite a couch potato most of the time, but needing a few really good walks each day.

"Gentle when stroked and fierce when provoked" is one of the wolfhound mottos and it certainly was true. They are so big that they don't seem like dogs to a lot of folks - on a number of occasions a child terrified of dogs would stand back terrified and then curiously approach to pet him with a worried and disbelieving mother on the sidelines. One child had been badly mauled and his mother was crying tears of joy to see him laughing and getting licked all over by Wolfie. Quite emotional.

Carol Ann:
That's right, wolfhounds don't make the greatest coursers - they are just too lazy and once they figure out that the lure will come around again, they often just lie down and wait for the lure to come to them. They are however excellent hunters.
GPJ is offline   Reply With Quote