U Haul CT 13 in Northwest Ga - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #1

Name: Chris
Trailer: U-Haul
Georgia
Registry
U Haul CT 13 in Northwest Ga

Hello I'm Chris and I live in Northwest Ga and hope to be picking up a U Haul CT tomorrow.

I work for U Haul and have been for 8 Years now. Have 2 grown boys and a wife that has put up with me for the last 25 years.
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Welcome! What do your co-workers know about the UHaul campers? Seems to be lost history at UHaul.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #3

Georgia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Welcome! What do your co-workers know about the UHaul campers? Seems to be lost history at UHaul.
Well I have found alot of folks that remember the manufacturing of them at Peters St here in Atlanta. I can look by the CT # and see what the U Haul system still has to offer. Most of the ones I have looked up have the date that the unit was put into the fleet and some have more info than others. As far as more than that its all word of mouth.

There are still some of the parts avalible that will correspondents to some of our other units. Shoot me an e mail or a PM with the #s and ill see what I can find for you.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #4

Thanks! I'm out of town for a few days, but appreciate your offer. Any idea what UHaul sold the trailers for ($$)?
Old 12-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Oooh somebody that may know something! We know when U-Haul started building trailers for rent: Fiberglass RV - Document Center - U-Haul Begins Travel Trailer Production then everything else about the history fell off a cliff! Even Mr. U-Haul ... Mr. Ray Horner didn't have a lot of the sale history.

to FiberglassRV!!!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #6

Georgia
Registry
The one Im looking at was put into service 12-01-1986. The price they were sold for was what ever they could get for them in that market. They were all sold local to where they were so its hard to tell. I will be asking around here in Ga to see whats still out there to find out. Some of the old timers are still around that might know something.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Welcome to the UHaul fiberglass family. Will you get an advertising fee when you drive it and have someone at every stop ask about it? We had at least 3 stops of folks in GA asking about our Uhaul as we drove to FL.

Any VT parts, Chris, like maybe windows?

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL
Welcome to the UHaul fiberglass family. Will you get an advertising fee when you drive it and have someone at every stop ask about it? We had at least 3 stops of folks in GA asking about our Uhaul as we drove to FL.

CindyL
Yea, I'd love to get a confirmation of the VT brake drum part number.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #9

Georgia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post

CindyL
No windows. But can get 3 light bars, hubs, wheels, correct 13 inch tires. Those are a few off the top of my head.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #10

Georgia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post

Yea, I'd love to get a confirmation of the VT brake drum part number.
Don't know about the Drums. They might be the same as our auto transporters. I can look around. Can someone send me a pic of the wheel on a VT. If its a 13 it should be the same as a 5x10 that is still in our fleet and parts are still available.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #11

I looked at the car trailer and lug circle was bigger than 4.75" . Drum photo shows 10 holes, so maybe it fits two bolt circles??
Old 12-30-2012, 11:07 PM   #12

Name: Deb
Trailer: Sold:::SCAMP
Arizona
We just purchased a 17 foot uhaul and know very little about them. Anything you could share would be appreciated. As soon as we get numbers will shoot them to you
Darnold12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:51 AM   #13

Registry
Deb,

Welcome to the Uhaul family. We too have a VT (17' Uhaul). You have a RARE camper. There were only 200 made and about 15 accounted for right now. We are currently camping in ours in FL.

I hope you love it as much as we love ours. You might want to join uhaulcamper.com too. Not as much traffic; most of us are here too, but you will find lots of good info.

CindyL
Old 12-31-2012, 05:03 AM   #14

Registry
@ Chris,

I know you still carry the VT wheel parts. We bought our hubs from a dealer who had two when one of ours blew and with dumb luck, we ended up at a UHaul dealer who happened to have two of the right kind in stock.

Here are images of the bolt pattern, hub, and tire (a new one, not an old one) from a VT, taken the day Kevin changed the broken hub for the new one.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
VT bolt pattern.jpg   VT bolt pattern 2.jpg  

VT hub.jpg  
Old 12-31-2012, 05:04 AM   #15

Registry
Wheel
Attached Thumbnails
VT tire.jpg   VT tire 2.jpg  

VT tire 3.jpg   VT tire 4.jpg  

Old 12-31-2012, 07:26 AM   #16

Georgia
Registry
It looks like the wheel and the Hub would be the same ones from an MV trailer that is still on the road today in the U Haul system. It uses two axles but the same wheel and lug pattern. The two 13 inch wheels are very close to the same thing. One will fit over the studs of the other but it is not correct!it will bend studs and work loose. Looks like you got lucky to find someone that had the correct parts. I will try and look in our catalog to seeif I can find you any part numbers for the brake stuff.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:35 AM   #17

Registry
Yes we saw that. One of those kinds of trailers was parked right next to us while we were changing the hub. We have a surge break for that trailee on our camper. I got it on ebay.

CindyL
Old 12-31-2012, 01:11 PM   #18

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Welcome to Fiberglass, and the U-Hall world, I put eletric brakes on my VT, they work great.
You will love your trailer.
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:41 AM   #19

Georgia
Registry
Well I got it home last night. So far I'm missing the poles for the bunks and the pole for the back table. Other than that it seems all there. I just have to figure out the combination of the pillows and what type of pole I'm looking for for the table. I don't have small kids so the bunk beds are not a priority right now. But a table to eat off of kinda is.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
Well I got it home last night. So far I'm missing the poles for the bunks and the pole for the back table. Other than that it seems all there. I just have to figure out the combination of the pillows and what type of pole I'm looking for for the table. I don't have small kids so the bunk beds are not a priority right now. But a table to eat off of kinda is.
Chris, the table pole is a standard RV pole about $6 at an RV dealer. The length is the same as the distance between the two rear seats. The bunk poles are just steel pipe.