Used Scamp 13 new trouble - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2024, 01:27 PM   #1

Name: Ivan
Trailer: Scamp
New York
Used Scamp 13 new trouble

Recently got a 2011 13 ft Scamp, pretty sure this is the place I need to be to get good information from good people. I'm having a couple of issues first off how do I fill the water heater? I'd like to try out the shower and heater but I don't know how to be sure it's full. Any difference from domestic water or the tank that's on board? What's the correct procedure?. Also electric and bathroom is not working and I'm not certain why. Check the fuses all good. Try to test light and from the negative bus bar to the first positive circuit I have energy but the rest of the hot leads have no power. What's my first step in checking this out? Thanks in advance for all the help
Broadsideofabarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 02:55 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
Water heater video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadsideofabarn View Post
Recently got a 2011 13 ft Scamp, pretty sure this is the place I need to be to get good information from good people. I'm having a couple of issues first off how do I fill the water heater? I'd like to try out the shower and heater but I don't know how to be sure it's full. Any difference from domestic water or the tank that's on board? What's the correct procedure?.
Many videos on YouTube. This is an older video, there are also newer ones for other water heaters.

AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 02:57 PM   #3

Name: Karin & Don
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13Ft
Maine
Filling the Water Heater

Ivan, I usually fill the water heater from the city water connection on the street side of the trailer. I don't usually fill from the fresh water tank. On the water heater there is a pressure release valve that I open when filling for the first time. I also remove the aerator on the kitchen faucet because there usually has debris that comes out. It will clog the filter, so that is why I remove the aerator. (Note: it will probably spit for a few minutes until the air is out). As far as the electric, there is another fuse that comes off of the battery that many times gets blown. I think its a 20 amp fuse. I hope this answers your questions. Don.
Kardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 03:10 PM   #4

Wisconsin
Registry
Electrical trouble shooting

Quote:
Also electric and bathroom is not working and I'm not certain why. Check the fuses all good. Try to test light and from the negative bus bar to the first positive circuit I have energy but the rest of the hot leads have no power. What's my first step in checking this out? Thanks in advance for all the help
Older Scamps had varied wiring to say the least. Newer units are more standardized. Here is a typical diagram. Your book should have one that is close.
Kardon's post reminded me that some older Scamps had a SECOND, hard to find line fuse just inside the front sometimes under the front bunk if so quipped..
Attached Thumbnails
electrical typical.jpg  
Old 06-05-2024, 03:33 PM   #5

Maine
Reply to hidden fuse.

Ken, the OP implies that he has a front bath model, in which case the hidden fuse is on the outside of the trailer coming off of the battery. That is where mine is on my 2012 13 foot Scamp. Hope to see you at the homecoming next month. Don.
Old 06-05-2024, 03:54 PM   #6

Wisconsin
Registry
I'll be there,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kardon View Post
Ken, the OP implies that he has a front bath model, in which case the hidden fuse is on the outside of the trailer coming off of the battery. That is where mine is on my 2012 13 foot Scamp. Hope to see you at the homecoming next month. Don.
I think I have site 110 by the port a potties! What should he look for next? A bad connection in the converter? Some had both the battery box fuse AND a second hidden fuse inside the wall. I never heard why but I heard that it caused some trouble shooting problems. Here is an old diagram with it.
Attached Thumbnails
electrical.jpg  
Old 06-05-2024, 04:01 PM   #7

Maine
Homecoming Rally

Ken, I don't remember which site that we have, but we will also be near the porta-potties. Last year we were the couple that drove the farthest to the rally. We live in north eastern Maine. We were next to Floyd. Michelle gave us the same spot. See you then. Don and Karin
Old 06-05-2024, 05:46 PM   #8

New York
New trouble

Thanks for your information all of you, hope this is posted so all can see. The wiring diagrams would help if I understood them but I never really got them, that's why I became a carpenter (lol) I have an inline fuse by the battery and the lights inside and exhaust fan work so I'm pretty sure I'm getting power to something. I may have to bite the bullet and go to professional for this even though it's probably something simple. There is talk on this thread about a reunion, where is it and when? I'd love to meet up with other owners and get first hand advice directly from them.
Old 06-05-2024, 06:02 PM   #9

Wisconsin
Registry
Scamp rally number three

Quote:
There is talk on this thread about a reunion, where is it and when? I'd love to meet up with other owners and get first hand advice directly from them.
https://www.scamptrailers.com/about-us/scamp-rally
Old 06-05-2024, 06:02 PM   #10

Maine
Scamp Homecoming

Ivan, the reunion is near the Scamp factory in Minnesota from July 11th through the 14th. You can find the information at Scamp's website: www.scamptrailers.com or call them at 1-800-346-4962. Hope to see you there. Don and Karin.
Old 06-05-2024, 07:54 PM   #11

New York
Rally

Wow, you guys are great! I didn't expect any responses as quickly as I've been getting them, unfortunately I live in New York City and Minnesota would be one heck of a ride. Maybe there will be something closer in the future. BTW I've looked at some of the maps that were available for fiberglass camper Rally's and none seem to be nearby. Do people in the Northeast not get these trailers for some reason?
Old 06-06-2024, 05:02 AM   #12

Maine
Rally

Ivan, we just had a fiberglass rally in New Hampshire (from May 16th thru the 19th). A couple from NYC had attended the rally for their 1st time. We live in a small town in north eastern Maine and will be going to the Scamp homecoming next month for the third year (over 2000 miles).
If you are interested in the rally in New Hampshire next May, you can call the Chocurua Camping Village (KOA) at 1-603-323-8536. You need to let them know that you are with the 2025 Spring Fling rally. The dates are May 15 thru 17 2025. If you decide to attend the Spring Fling, get your reservation in early as it gets full. Many of us book before we leave the rally the previous year. Don and Karin.
Old 06-12-2024, 10:46 AM   #13

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
This is an awful generalized set of questions. You get better responses here if you got more specific questions and pictures are always appreciated.

I'm not sure what your issue with filling the hot water heater is. Draining it can be a nuisance. But at least mine and all the ones I know of you get the cold water all working. And then you turn on the hot water faucet until it starts spraying out water and then you let that happen for a while at your sink and then you do the same thing for the shower to get the air out of the line and you should be good.

As far as the electrical problems not sure what your problem is but I'm sure if you can get some better questions you can get some really good answers
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 07:23 PM   #14

New York
Water heater

I think I got my electrical issues resolved but thanks for your concern and suggestions. Now my water heater question is a real newbie one. I'm off grid so I'm using my freshwater tank, once the fresh water tank is filled how will I get the water heater filled? I'm looking at the tank and there is a tube at the very top of it which goes over to the other side of the Scamp, I'm guessing that fills hot water heater. Is that correct?
Old 06-12-2024, 09:21 PM   #15

Indiana
Quote:
I think I got my electrical issues resolved but thanks for your concern and suggestions. Now my water heater question is a real newbie one. I'm off grid so I'm using my freshwater tank, once the fresh water tank is filled how will I get the water heater filled? I'm looking at the tank and there is a tube at the very top of it which goes over to the other side of the Scamp, I'm guessing that fills hot water heater. Is that correct?
Normally it should just kind of be automatic. Now some people have valves installed that shut off the water going to the hot water heater. But usually the way you feel the hot water heater is that you, usually before you've left home, take your fresh water and turn it on. Or fill up your tank and then turn your hot water faucet on. And you should get a lot of air out. And then several minutes later it should start spitting out air and water mixed.

Now fair warning you did read spitting there right. ;-). Most of the time when it starts getting full it will start sending a mix of air and water out of the hot water on your sink spicket. And then the air will expand and like squirt water about everywhere. Yeah 90% goes down the sink or maybe 80%. But the rest goes on the counter on the floor etc. So kind of like be ready for that. A lot of times I actually turn the hot water valve on the sink about halfway off when it starts doing that to kind of like reduce the speed it happens and that reduces the amount of water being shot everywhere.

Pretty soon as it spits and spits and spits, it will spit less and water more and pretty soon it will only water and you've got your tank full.

Or at least this is what I think you're asking.
Old 06-13-2024, 08:03 PM   #16

New York
I think I got my electrical issues resolved but thanks for your concern and suggestions. Now my water heater question is a real newbie one. I'm off grid so I'm using my freshwater tank, once the fresh water tank is filled how will I get the water heater filled? I'm looking at the tank and there is a tube at the very top of it which goes over to the other side of the Scamp, I'm guessing that fills hot water heater. Is that correct? I'm not sure if I'm posting this correctly. Just wanted to get an answer without bothering only one person. I'm sure someone has an idea on what's going on. I tried to add pics but they have vanished...darn gremlins!!Thanks in advance.
Old 06-13-2024, 09:25 PM   #17

Indiana
Quote:
I think I got my electrical issues resolved but thanks for your concern and suggestions. Now my water heater question is a real newbie one. I'm off grid so I'm using my freshwater tank, once the fresh water tank is filled how will I get the water heater filled? I'm looking at the tank and there is a tube at the very top of it which goes over to the other side of the Scamp, I'm guessing that fills hot water heater. Is that correct? I'm not sure if I'm posting this correctly. Just wanted to get an answer without bothering only one person. I'm sure someone has an idea on what's going on. I tried to add pics but they have vanished...darn gremlins!!Thanks in advance.

Generally the tube at the top is the outlet so it's probably taking your hot water once you get it full and then hot to your like faucet and shower. The inlet should be at the bottom. And that will probably go in some manner to your cold water system.
Old 06-14-2024, 04:24 AM   #18

New York
Pics

I found those pics of the water heater, and I added them. Not sure but it looks like that hose is supposed to be connected and I have no idea how to do that. Do I need to buy fittings? is there some way of just removing a piece and installing it to what's there? Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20240613_223711_Yahoo Mail.jpg   Screenshot_20240613_220349_Yahoo Mail.jpg  

Old 06-14-2024, 05:29 AM   #19

Indiana
I'm assuming that's at the bottom. And yes it sure looks like it should be connected. If it helps you any here's a picture of mine. And the top hose is going off to my faucet and shower the bottom is coming off of a tee that goes to the pump.

I am suspicious that what may have happened is that the hot water heater started leaking and so somebody decided they didn't need a hot water heater and just capped off the hose going to the hot water heater. In which case you got to replace the hot water heater.
Attached Thumbnails
20240614_062638.jpg  
Old 06-14-2024, 05:48 PM   #20

New York
Connection

The picture I took is actually the top of the water heater or at least what I think is the top of the water here. Unfortunately my Scamp is stored about 3 hours from me where I don't have very good internet service so this is going to be a long running procedure. Just a quick question if I was to find out the heater leaks do you know anything about removing the original and replacing it with a tankless system? If not where would you look for information about this?

Tags
scamp