Utah Mama Wanting Egg! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2013, 08:28 PM   #1

Name: The Mrs.
Trailer: Bigfoot
Utah
Utah Mama Wanting Egg!

hi all,

I have recently been bitten by the egg bug and am looking for either a 16-17 footer up to possibly a bigfoot 21. We are a family of four and I am torn between the simplicity and ease of the 16 footers and the extra elbow room of the 21' bigfoot. Really unsure which route to go.

Here for guidance, inspiration, and, I hope, a purchase!

Cheers!

Camping_Mama
camping_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Welcome! Glad you joined us.......

As for a 16ft'er for 4 people, honestly that could be a lil tight depending on how old the kiddo's are!

Of course many camp with large family's in small tents, it's all in how much room you all need. Have you seen a glass egg in person? How old are the kids? Small kids sleep well on bunks, but older kids might not be as comfortable. Of course there are options..... But finding the perfect one for your family will take determination and a lot of luck! Again, Welcome! Let us know a little about your camping needs and perhaps we can have some brand suggestions for you.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:44 PM   #3

Utah
Hi Robin!

Thanks for responding!

The kiddos are 7 and 4. Still relatively small and willing to sleep in tight spaces, but I would love something that will last for more than a few years.

We are used to car/tent camping, or taking our seemingly bomb-proof 1976 24' Holiday Rambler RV. We took that RV down many many 4WD roads and we really prefer to camp away from campgrounds and people.

For that reason I assume the 16' would be easier to get into off-road places than the 21', but that extra space sure is tempting!

Something that hunters like would probably be a good fit (we are not hunters, but we do like to get off the beaten path). There will be no KOAs for us. :-)

We have a Sienna, but would get a Tacoma to tug the trailer if we get too heavy.

Thoughts for a good fit?
Old 06-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping_mama View Post
We have a Sienna, but would get a Tacoma to tug the trailer if we get too heavy.

Thoughts for a good fit?

Tacoma, would never tow a 21ft Bigfoot! I tow a 17ft Casita with a Tacoma and though it's a decent tow'er I would never even try a 21ft Bigfoot with it! It's not that good! Sorry!

Do you 4wd with a Sienna? What is your Seinna's tow cap? As far as glass eggs being good back country trailers, there are plenty of people who drag them back country. Not sure about how extensive the 4wd trails they drag them on, so can't comment there.

As for a glass egg being a good fit for a family of 4, there are certainly 16 ft'ers with a bunk option that would fit well for your family. But the kids will grow outta the bunks eventually. The bunks are probably not comfortable for tweens or teens! But hopefully by the time they grow outta them, they will be more interested in pitching a tent along side the egg! There won't be a lot of relaxing room with 4 in a 16fter but I would assume that you spend most of your time outdoors anyway, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Personally for me, I like more room when there are more than a couple of people camping in a egg! Have you thought about those toy hauler pop ups? They are huge and plenty of room for the back country toys!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #5

Utah
Hi again!

oh shoot, I was under the impression a v6 Tacoma would be fine with a Bigfoot. We have no toys (we are mountain bikers but those can be put on top of our van/truck), just warm bodies.

I really think I would like the space. Hmm, maybe a 19 foot Escape? I am really open to whatever works.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:28 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

Lots of good information along with kind and helpful people on the forums.

Best of luck on your egg hunt!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:43 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Funny, there is someone else here with the same questions.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post396394
Old 06-19-2013, 08:44 AM   #8

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Funny, there is someone else here with the same questions.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post396394
Haha! That's me. Just thought I should introduce myself here, too.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
According to the current (2013) data from Toyota
http://www.toyota.com/content/ebroch..._ebrochure.pdf
A "Properly Equipped" Toyota Tacoma with a V6 can pull up to 6500 lbs.
The 21 & 25 footers are a bit heavy (See real world trailer weights in the General Chat section) but the single axle 5th wheel BigFoot might be a viable answer. Lots of space inside as well as seperate sleeping areas.

Forgot to mention: Tacoma (& maybe Tundra?) beds can be a little tricky for attaching a 5th wheel hitch, check this out first before you buy.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote