Wanabe Bigfoot owner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
Kjs

Name: Kurt
Trailer: Shopping
Pennsylvania
Wanabe Bigfoot owner

Hello, I have been looking into buying a travel trailer for some time now and after researching everything out there, I am most interested in a Bigfoot (17ft). I was hoping someone could answer a few questions for me regarding their product. 1) Is the bigfoot totally enclosed in fiberglass under the unit and in the wheel wells like a Casita? 2) I cannot afford a new one at $30,000.00 so I would like to know how well the older ones (90's) are insulated compared to the current? Are these older units considered 4 season? Thanks for any info anyone can provide.
Kjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Bigfoot had a winterized option. They are not all that way.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
Kjs

Pennsylvania
Thanks Dave, I obviously have more to learn
Old 01-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Kurt, welcome to FiberglassRV... we're glad you're here!

Bigfoot made nice trailers, I think once you find the new-to-you-rollin' home... you'll really enjoy it.

Good luck on the egg hunt!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #5

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Bigfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjs View Post
Hello, I have been looking into buying a travel trailer for some time now and after researching everything out there, I am most interested in a Bigfoot (17ft). I was hoping someone could answer a few questions for me regarding their product. 1) Is the bigfoot totally enclosed in fiberglass under the unit and in the wheel wells like a Casita? 2) I cannot afford a new one at $30,000.00 so I would like to know how well the older ones (90's) are insulated compared to the current? Are these older units considered 4 season? Thanks for any info anyone can provide.
Bigfoot made 2 floor plans from the 1980's to 2009. One was a Gaucho, rear corner bath and a Center Bath unit. Center Bath came with a large fridge/freezer. The complete exterior of the trailer is fiberglass. Just like Casita and Escape. Bigfoot used a foam core insulation. Not all trailer were 4 season with heated tanks. Search tis forum you will find out more about them.
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:42 AM   #6
Kjs

Pennsylvania
Thank you for your replies and your welcoming. Can any of the Bigfoot owners tell me if the undercarriage of a Bigfoot is totally enclosed fiberglass? My next treat in my venture is going to be finding a Bigfoot on the east coast or as it does not appear too many get out here.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17
Mount Horeb, Wisconsin
Kurt, You're right that there aren't many Bigfoot east of the Mississippi. You might try the Bigfoot Owners Club International site. You can access the classified without joining. As others have said the winter package was optional most years, so the features vary with the unit you may find. We happened upon ours while looking for a garage sale, older couple looking to get out of camping.The undercarriage is not enclosed by the glass. Welcome to FGRV! Tony
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #8

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Yes the undercarriage is totally enclosed fiberglass.
One thing about the Bigfoot is that it is more than a foot wider than the others, I find this extra space inside to very pleasing.

Keep in mind though it also is harder on gas pulling due to the extra width.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Kurt,

Not sure exactly what you are asking with the question, "Is the bigfoot totally enclosed in fiberglass under the unit and in the wheel wells like a Casita?"

The body is basically a two piece shell, upper and lower halves. The bottom shell is one-piece and totally enclosed like a "tub" and sits in a steel frame (chassis). The chassis is not molded into the "tub" but attached to it. There are various holes in the "tub" for drains, mounts, etc. But yes, the wheel wells are molded into the one-piece tub. Hope this helps.
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #10
Kjs

Pennsylvania
Thanks for the replies and yes my questions are answered. I was not sure if the bottom was tub like so that helped. I also appreciate the website suggestion. I am hoping I can find one by late spring.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #11

British Columbia
Registry
Keep in mind that the older units are lighter than newer not sure what year that started.
My unit on the scale comes in at under 3000 pounds newer ones ie 2000 plus come in in the range of 4000 plus.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #12
Kjs

Pennsylvania
Thanks Daniel. Can you tell me about your trailer. Does yours have the winter package and double pane windows? I'm am not sure what year or years the winter option was available. If yours is not, do you camp in cold weather with yours and how do you make out? I do plan on using mine in cold temps so I am not sure if I can get away with both or should only consider one with the winter option? Thanks for any insight you can provide.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #13

British Columbia
Registry
No my trailer does not have the winter package.

In the winter when it sits at home I leave a 1500 watt heater running all the time. In Vancouver, BC we don't see the cold most area's have.
Our day time temp is usually close to 40 and at night dips to just below freezing I have the electric heater set at less than half power and it holds the temp at between 55- 62 .

I could use the furnace which works fine but because I have electric hookup available its easier and quieter.

My trailer never saw much use till I bought it other than having to spend three day's polishing the outside to bring back the finish as it looked chalky from not being looked after.

Inside my trailer it is in great condition I had air conditioning installed last Aug. because the area I camp is desert and temps go over 100 I needed this. I put in a 9200 btu unit and it works fine at less than half power.
My unit only had 15 amp service so I had to upgrade my electrical service as air conditioning requires 20 amp service.

I also changed the brakes last summer and put Dexter never adjust on the best thing anyone can do.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #14
jck

Name: James
Trailer: Big Foot
Colorado
If you find a Bigfoot with the all season package you won't have a problem
with camping in the cold. I spent a week in my 2006 21FB with daytime highs of
10F and nighttime lows -15F. I ran a generator for 3 hours each night to keep the battery charged and to cover the electrical load during the evening hours. I have two 30lb propane tanks and didn't even use one tank during the week. I also didn't have any problem keeping the fresh and the waste water moving. My only concern was keeping the battery charged each day. Thankfully, a few hours with the generator brought the battery to full charge each day and that was enough to keep the furnace cycling. Good luck with your search!
jck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #15
Kjs

Pennsylvania
Thanks to both of you for your answers and experiences.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #16

Name: Patricia
Trailer: In the Market
Oklahoma
Winter Package on Bigfoot

How can you tell if a particular Bigfoot has the winter package (I am considering 2000+ models). Is there actually a switch for tank heaters? Also do the double pane windows hold up pretty well on these or do they tend to fail/fog over time?
What things would you carefully look at if you were purchasing a used one? Thanks!
hrtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #17
jck

Name: James
Trailer: Big Foot
Colorado
Patricia,
I haven't had any problem with the double pane windows. The tanks are enclosed below the trailer and the area is heated with ducts from the forced air heater.There is no switch because Bigfoot doesn't use electric tank heaters on the four season package. If you find double pane windows and enclosed tanks you have a four season trailer. I believe most 2000 or newer models will be four season.
When I was searching it was evident when a trailer was in good shape. With any older trailer there may be the need to replace/repair appliances. It is also wise to plan on spending on upgrades such as LED lights/solar etc. I would also check the axles, tires, bearings, and hitch assemble. Be sure to check the roof to make sure it was maintained and there are no leaks.
If you have the opportunity fill the fresh water tank and check to see if all of the plumbing is operational including the hot water heater. Jim
jck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #18

Washington
The only way you will know if the tanks are heated is to look under the trailer. If you see the tanks they are not heated. If you see a large black cover they will or should be heated. Bigfoot routed a furnace duct into the tank area to keep them warm. I have a 2001 Bigfoot 21 RB no heated tanks. Not all 2000 or newer were 4 season. My 2001 is our 7th Bigfoot Trailer.
Chuck
Old 02-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #20

Washington
I am currently tiling the kitchen wall in a 1985 Bigfoot 19ft dual axle, these are rare in the US.

Tags
bigfoot