Welcome to New Members - Page 15 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2018, 10:38 AM   #281

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Even a 4 season trailer has to be winterized for storage in a cold climate. Keeping the furnace running to protect plumbing continuously would be prohibitive in terms of propane use.

If you use the trailer all winter, that's not an issue, but if you come and go, you are left with the dilemma... winterize while you're home for a spell, or heat the trailer...?

My mother always had that problem- she'd camp locally into the fall, stay home through the holidays, and take off for Florida or the Southwest in January. Every year she had to decide whether to winterize after the last fall trip. Since the climate in Maryland does not get bitterly cold, her usual solution was an electric space heater for that couple of months. That won't work for all RV's, depending on the location of plumbing and tanks. Hers was a small Class B and a small ceramic cube heater kept it from freezing with overnight temperatures in the 20's.

Perhaps a moderator could break off this conversation to a separate thread?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:43 AM   #282

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
I think an all season or 4 season camper generally means one where you don't need to winterize and can camp in year round.
Nope. You still must winterize, or heat the trailer year round. Otherwise freezing will occur. Which will burst your water heater, plumbing, and maybe even your holding tanks.
Heating year round sounds expensive to me. Thus you drain everything, and put antifreeze in the lines. I am no expert on winterizing, I don't do it.
This is one of the reasons I like my simple Trilliums. I don't use the water system at all. It is bone dry.

Sorry for using the welcome to new members thread, but a burst hot water tank sucks.

On edit: Ahh, I see Jon beat me to it.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:56 AM   #283

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Well yes, if you are going to store it in sub freezing temps, you have to winterize. My comment was regarding no need to winterize if camping for extended periods of sub freezing temps. Guess I should have clarified.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:08 PM   #284

Name: Jan
Trailer: Winnebago
New York
Hi, I'm new to this site. I don't own an RV yet, but I'm looking to purchase one - new or used - within the next year. I'd like something small to start. I'm planning on semi-retiring, so I'll have more time to travel.
Elphaba58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 02:24 PM   #285

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphaba58 View Post
Hi, I'm new to this site. I don't own an RV yet, but I'm looking to purchase one - new or used - within the next year. I'd like something small to start. I'm planning on semi-retiring, so I'll have more time to travel.
Welcome, Jan! You'll find lots of great information and very helpful folks on this forum. Happy RV hunting!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:48 PM   #286

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
winterizing

our 13f scamper is bareboned no b/r no kitchen we take off in any wx and have fun. we are not fancy campers we either boonedock or mochdock either way is great.

just completed a long trip to quartzite az and back through ms and ark to home no camping fees. we stayed at loves, walmarts, heb grocery, public land in the desert any place that would have us for the night!

no one bothered us on the whole trip!

we will do it again next year but for longer

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:41 PM   #287

Name: Daryl
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
New member to the page. Just purchased a Boler 17' RGH model and looking at getting it refreshed a bit and hit the road. Glad to join up here and looking forward to getting some advice and throwing some ideas around !
Daryl05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:17 PM   #288

Missouri
glad you are here

darly glad to have you

have fun

bob
Old 03-16-2018, 04:06 PM   #289

Name: Jimmy
Trailer: Uhaul 84
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Hello, and welcome to Fiberglass RV! We're a friendly and knowledgeable group of Molded Fiberglass Trailer Owners, and we're glad you're here!

Below are a couple of links that you may want to familiarize yourself with.
FiberglassRV.com Community Rules
Forums 101: Posting, Accounts, Basics
Thanks
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:29 PM   #290

Name: Larry & Terry
Trailer: Hunter Compact II
Oregon
Thank You for All the "Welcomes"

Larry and I are not new to RVing but we just purchased a Hunter Compact II and are looking forward to getting on the road again. This camp trailer is in beautiful shape. Larry will not need to do much at all. The former owner was Chuck Hagen and his wife from Washington. Some of you may know them.

We live in Oregon City, Oregon. Larry is a Mopar nut and I am a quilter/piecer; mostly for charity. Looking forward to meeting some new people who enjoy their fiberglass trailers!
LarryShorten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:08 AM   #291

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome to FGRV, which Mopar is Larry going to use for a tug? He can leave the Cuda 6 pac or Daytona in the garage....a bit to much power for your TT but would look cool .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:09 AM   #292

Name: Larry & Terry
Trailer: Hunter Compact II
Oregon
Yeah, we'll leave those cars in the garage and use our 2005 Dodge Dakota (4.7 V8 5 speed automatic) as our workhorse! Beep-Beep!
LarryShorten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:39 AM   #293

Hi, I’m Tocoa. I joined the group a couple of years ago but I seem to have neglected to introduce myself. I'm from Vancouver Canada. My wife and I have tented and RVed (travel trailer and motorhome) for many years but have never owned a fiberglass trailer. We don't have a trailer and we are now looking to buy one.
tocoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:07 AM   #294

Missouri
welcome

welcome tocoa glad you are here enjoy yourself a great place

bob
Old 05-25-2018, 10:33 PM   #295

Name: Blayne
Trailer: Beachcomber
British Columbia
Hi all. Just joined. I just purchased a 78 Beachcomber TM15. Thought I would be camping this year, but looks like I will be honing in my reno skills.
Blayzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:58 PM   #296

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1982 13' Scamp
AK
Hello!

Hello! I am excited to have found this forum. I have been wanting a Scamp for years and my opportunity to purchase a 1981 13' Scamp has finally come! I will be looking at the trailer later this week. I posted in the 'mods, alterations, updates' section asking a few questions; specifically about a hole in the fiberglass at the rear of the trailer. I'm eager to be the proud owner of a Scamp, but I'm also very eager to learn more.
akjruthies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:18 PM   #297

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Good suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Stephen, just a suggestion - rather than using the "Welcome" thread to ask specific questions, search for thread already started on that topic, or create a new thread with an appropriate title too make it easier for others with a similar interest to follow your thread on that topic.
I'm a little shaky on posting rules.
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:35 PM   #298

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Albers View Post
I'm a little shaky on posting rules.
They're not "rules", just best practice. We all learn from others here, and it's much easier to find what you're looking for if there's a thread with a relevant title.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:34 PM   #299

Name: John
Trailer: Boler coming up.
Ontario
Thank you

Thank you for the warm welcome,

I'm new to this forum and new again to trailers since time flies and faces in the mirror reflect that.
I had a dream in the early '70s to own and enjoy a Boler trailer, but I woke up too soon.
As I drive a big truck, I found myself in Calgary browsing the net and found that same trailer I was dreaming about and always wanted.

A 17 foot Boler that's almost dead but still breathing.
Well....I couldn't haul it home right then so I dropped the idea until I got home.
I phoned the guy a week later and it was still for sale so a deal was discussed and I have arranged to haul it home on a planned trip with the truck.

I will post as I go along and hope to get familliar with some of you, as a face lift and updates for the 43 year old Boler are brewing and knowledge needs a boost.

I'm excited!😁 cheers.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:11 PM   #300

Name: CallieBeth
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Hi to all in FRV!

I'm Callie, I just brought home a 1973 13ft. Scamp. It looks in good shape, but after reading through some maintenance posts I need to look closer! Unfortunately my camper is parked about 25 minutes from where I live!Hoping to complete a full assessment using suggestions from other members. So grateful to have found this group!
calliebeth60 is offline   Reply With Quote