Welcome to New Members - Page 16 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2018, 07:45 PM   #301

Name: Sage
Trailer: Campact 1961
Arizona
Hi all...thanks for the add...I have a 61 Campact...old fiberglass small pod. Just interested in all your great info and comraderie.
azsage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:08 PM   #302

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsage View Post
Hi all...thanks for the add...I have a 61 Campact...old fiberglass small pod. Just interested in all your great info and comraderie.
Cool! Hadn't heard of it before, but found a few old threads in which it is mentioned. This it?
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...act-40095.html
Click image for larger version

Name:	Campact.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	122161

How about some pictures of yours?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:41 PM   #303

Name: Sage
Trailer: Campact 1961
Arizona
Yes that is it! No doubt they are related..will get pics soon.
azsage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:41 PM   #304

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium
alabama
Hello.

I'm excited to have found you guys! I bought an old trillium 1300 for $200. Included in that bargain price were 3 storage containers full of questions & problems (haha).
Anyway, I'll probably get familiar with this site & observe/read posts before I become active.
Thanks
Chris in Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:45 PM   #305

Name: Michael
Trailer: Ventura
Washington
Smile 1975? Venturas (notice the plural?) Oh yeah!

My daughter sent me a text today saying "Dad! These are so cool!" Well, she lives 400 miles away and they are on the Facebook marketplace in her town. But, she was right. They are super cool. Two, yes two 1975 Ventura 13' trailers. I purchased them sight unseen other than I think two pictures on the ad.

I am picking them up this weekend and hauling them back home to put in the shop for my winter project. Like I don't have enough projects.

I am super excited and look forward to the journey. I am sure I will picking the brains of those who have come before me on where to find parts and how to fix this or that. I am not totally new to this having completed a frame off restoration of a 1952 Airstream. So I ain't scurred. OK, I'm a bit scared. But super excited.

Michael
MiKris3113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:01 AM   #306

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in Alabama View Post
I'm excited to have found you guys! I bought an old trillium 1300 for $200. Included in that bargain price were 3 storage containers full of questions & problems (haha).
Anyway, I'll probably get familiar with this site & observe/read posts before I become active.
Thanks
Welcome to FGRV Chris. Will be interesting to hear the questions that are in those containers . Just one hint that will help us to help you out, post pictures with the questions so we're not out in left field with our answers .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:53 PM   #307

Name: Amy
Trailer: Uhaul
New York
Thank you

Thank y’all I’m glad to be here!!!
xF1REx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:40 AM   #308

Name: Pierre
Trailer: In the market
Ontario
Hello!

I just joined the forum and I hope to learn about molded fiberglass rvs. I've been disappointed with laminated trailer and I'm looking for something better. Is molded fiberglass the answer? This is what I hope to find out!
Campfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:03 PM   #309

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfire View Post
I just joined the forum and I hope to learn about molded fiberglass rvs. I've been disappointed with laminated trailer and I'm looking for something better. Is molded fiberglass the answer? This is what I hope to find out!
Is it "the answer"... depends on what kinds of disappointments you've experienced.

Many components- appliances, wiring, plumbing, windows & vents, axles and brakes- are the same as any other RV and subject to the same variations in build quality, performance, and reliability. Like other RV's, windows, vents, and plumbing can be a source of leaks, leading to mold and rot if neglected. Routine maintenance is still required.

Molded fiberglass trailers are generally smaller than conventionally constructed trailers and lack features many have come to expect: slide-outs, walk-around queen beds, dry baths. They are also more expensive, both new and used.

But the fiberglass shell itself does offer a significant improvement in leak resistance and long-term durability over any other build type, along with very high resale value.

I've owned several conventional RV's before my Scamp, and I can't see myself ever going back. It's coming up on its 10th birthday, and no leaks. It's also the only consumer product I have ever purchased that's worth more now than when I bought it used 6 years ago. It's had a few glitches, mostly with the 12VDC wiring. Scamp- the budget-priced molded manufacturer- is built to a price point, and it shows in some areas. But nothing that affects its campworthiness. I would buy another without hesitation.

I'd recommend getting a first-hand look at a few. Most are sold factory-direct, not through dealers, so you generally won't find them at dealers or RV shows. Most of the manufacturers have referral programs to connect you with local owners for demos. There are also molded fiberglass rallies, usually with many makes and models represented.

Welcome, and best wishes!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:12 PM   #310

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfire View Post
I just joined the forum and I hrailerope to learn about molded fiberglass rvs. I've been disappointed with laminated trailer and I'm looking for something better. Is molded fiberglass the answer? This is what I hope to find out!
You are right to question the structural integrity of any RV. You don't want a vermin invasion which is nearly impossible to clean up after the fact. Further, many units have tankage that is totally exposed to physical damage and freezing. Construction techniques often are not robust enough for even moderate stress and do not lend themselves to easy repair. Nearly all these problems can be avoided by careful evaluation before purchase. Caveat Emptor
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:42 PM   #311

Name: Pierre
Trailer: In the market
Ontario
Thanks for your quick reply Jon and Stephen. This is exactly the kind of information I'm looking for.

I have a Heartland North Trail purchased new in 2013. Even though the rubber roof was maintained with the recommended rubber treatment every year and scellant was re-applied when deemed helpful, I noticed a little bit of water in the front compartment lately. Needless to say that I'm very disappointed with this purchase! I will have it pressure tested to find where the water is coming from and fix it BUT I don't want to deal with this anymore. I want a product that will give me peace of mind.

I'm not worried about the appliances and other components as I realize these are pretty much the same for all RV brands. But I want a structure that is more reliable than the laminated construction that I currently have. At one point, I was looking into an all aluminium and azdel trailer (no rust and no rot) but the company (Camplite) closed down. Lakota seems to make nice and solid aluminium trailers but they are meant for horse owners - i don't need something that big. I'm wondering how molded fiberglass compares to an all aluminium trailer. I'm even thinking of building my own by modifying an aluminium cargo trailer.

Given the new information given, any other thoughts?
Campfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:13 AM   #312

Name: K.
Trailer: HappierCamper
California
Hi

Hello.

I'm happy to join this group. I have a HappierCamper HC1. Look forward to seeing some cool trips and great tips.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0313.jpg  
KenAki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 01:05 AM   #313

Name: Tom and Joy
Trailer: Scamp 16
Santa Rosa, California
Hello From N. California. I am beginning a search for a small travel trailer, preferably a fiberglass 'egg' type. Poking around here, I see that there is a wealth of knowledge, and people willing to share info. Looks like a good start.
ThomasBalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 01:53 AM   #314

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasBalmer View Post
Hello From N. California. I am beginning a search for a small travel trailer, preferably a fiberglass 'egg' type. Poking around here, I see that there is a wealth of knowledge, and people willing to share info. Looks like a good start.
Welcome Thomas, you may want to start a new post in the general or wanted section to say what you're looking for, type of camping you do and what you plan to use for a tow vehicle. Answers will get lost in this thread .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 04:11 PM   #315

Trailer: Boler
Getting going

Hi, Gill here. Just rejoined FGRV and hoping to get mobile next summer. Trying to sell my 18' Fun Finder (too big and heavy) and find a 17' Boler in great shape (no skills for fixing up!) . Had a 13' Boler but need a bathroom! I'm a single senior female and want to spend time travelling - also planning to move south from my northern community and base somewhere more central, hopefully next summer. I'll be watching the site regularly.
Not sure this is posted in the right place, but hope you find it!
Gill Gracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 04:25 PM   #316

Name: Tom and Joy
Trailer: Scamp 16
Santa Rosa, California
Welcome back, Gill.

You'll probably find what you're looking fore here. By the time I'm caught up reading everything, I'll feel like I've finished the internet.

Tom
ThomasBalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:01 PM   #317

Name: Bill
Trailer: Bigfoot
North Carolina
New guy

Hi, We purchased a new Bigfoot 21FB in May and have been enjoying the regular email postings for a while and finally decided to sign in. My wife and I have been life long campers mostly tent but I have owned two pop up's and traveled the country in a Rockwood Roo hybrid for 5 years but after all the regular leak issues I decided that a FG was the answer. We hope to get to a few rally's in the coming year.

Bill
williamhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:01 PM   #318

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamper
New Mexico
Hello All,
I can't remember if I've ever posted a comment before but... Thanks to all who keep posting. I don't have my Snoozy yet but I'm learning a lot from all the suggestions I read in the daily postings. I'm keeping a list of what everyone recommends. I just parted ways with my Lowe backpack and 25 year old tent trailer. I'm looking forward to a more civilized camping experience. I like the idea of being somewhat warm when it is cold and cool when it is hot.
Banjo Bob
Banjo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:40 PM   #319

Name: steve
WASHINGTON
Hello Traveling Man here, glad to belong to this group

I bought a Casita on this Forum back in 2012 and have really enjoyed it the last 6 plus years. My wife and I have become snow birds and spend 3 months in Arizona and California each year (last year 4 months) . We loved the Casita , but have outgrown the size and will be selling soon. A couple more days cleaning it up and I will be listing it on this forum. Its the 17 foot spirit deluxe 2005 Casita.
Traveling man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 06:18 AM   #320

Name: Sgmhgg
Texas
I just joined up, so wanted to say hello. We just purchased a 2019 Casita SD 17' and are looking forward to many exciting outings. We are not new to camping but are new to owning a fiberglass RV. I enjoy reading all the tech tips and comments from you experienced FG RV folks. Thanks for letting me join your group, and look forward to meeting some great people.
Sgmhgg is offline   Reply With Quote