We're Marv & Joy from New York - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-28-2016, 11:33 AM   #1

Name: Marv
Trailer: Escape
New York
We're Marv & Joy from New York

Western NY state that is (Finger Lakes area).

I've been a member here for a while, trying to absorb all that goes on here. Much yet to read. Thought it was time to jump in with both feet.

Joy is a retired grade school teacher. I will be retiring July of this year (woodworker/former business owner/studio director). We have a camping history; honeymooned in Banff National Park, lived in Alaska for a short while and travelled a bit. But we got away from camping as our lives got busier. We're now set to start exploring again and believe that a small fiberglass trailer is the vehicle to get us there.

It seems that we are chasing what everyone else here is; a diminishing pool of salvageable trailers and travel thru the great outdoors. To complicate our search, we're pursuing either a Trillium 4500 or a Triple E Surfside. Nothing refurbished (I can do the fixing up), but something at least road worthy. After 9 months of looking, thought we had our unit, but missed it by a day.

We'll continue to look and reading all the posts here on the forum. This place is a great resource and we're happy we've landed here.

Marv
Stkshftr Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:50 PM   #2

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Hi Marv and Joy,
Welcome! I too am a WNYer, Niagara Falls area. I found my trailer here but drove to Ohio to pick it up. You do have to move fast and scan like a hawk for trailers.

Try search tempest to search all of craigslist too. As well as a website called fiberglass rv 4 sale dot com. It has a dash in the URL somewhere and if you just google what I wrote, it will come up.

Congrats to your wife on her retirement. I'm still teaching 5th grade in a public school...ways to go yet.

Best wishes,
Wendy

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 02:34 PM   #3

Name: Marv
Trailer: Escape
New York
Hi Wendy,
We were in Canada last weekend looking at our first find. Crossed at Lewiston. Lost the camper by a few hours. We found the lead on Fiberglass 4 Sale.com. We'll keep looking.

Joy also taught 5th grade in public school. No doubt, you 2 would have a lot to talk about.

Thanks,
Marv
Stkshftr Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 04:31 PM   #4

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Most of the FGRV's have a facebook group too so be sure to check there.
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:29 AM   #5

Name: Elly
Trailer: (Former) Casita 17 SD
Florida
I'm a retired high school teacher from the Adirondacks.
We sold house and left the Empire State 1.5 years ago. We're fulltiming in a Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft.
When I jumped in to a fiberglass, it was the first time my husband and I had ever owned/towed a trailer. For that reason, I decided to buy new. Did not want any issues ~ at least for a few years. And that has been the case. We ordered exactly what we wanted, and drove to Texas to pick it up at the factory. We have nearly 30,000 miles under our wheels!!
Enjoy your retirements.
Elly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:15 AM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Welcome, Going to be camping (finger lakes) up that way this summer in our 16` Scamp. Lots of places to camp, nice area. This will be our 2nd year out. We are retired to. So good luck in finding that perfect camper, just right for you. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:40 AM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We are in eastern upstate NY, own two fiberglass campers, a Uhaul 13 and Casita 17. We are retired, have wintered in the Southeast with both trailers, but now use the Casita as our winter camper. No desire whatsoever to full time, keeping our house.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:55 AM   #8

Name: Dawn
Trailer: Scamp
New York
Registry
Hi Marv & Joy!

We live not too far from you, outside of Watertown, NY. Just as another poster stated, we drove to OH as well for our Scamp 16! It was one of those situations where I happened to do a search shortly after the previous owner posted it & he was willing to hold it for us until the next day. We were lucky, as not a lot of people hold it for you.

So we made the 7 hour trip & the price was not negotiable as the owner had numerous other calls that same day we drove to get it. It was the first camper we've owned and we did not ask enough questions. We ran into a few problems later that were not disclosed to us, but honestly for as rare as the campers are in the northeast, I still feel good about our purchase & price.

There is a checklist on this site for good questions to ask or things to look for, I suggest giving it a glance.

Good luck!!
NedMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:49 PM   #9

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Welcome to Mary and Joy --

From the West coast--good hunting, and good camping when your hunt is done.

Kai in Seattle
Paul (the trailer fixer-upper)
Nimble (mamma pug)
Cinder(ella) (daughter pug)
Attached Thumbnails
amerigo 5 cropped  door side rear.jpg  
Old 02-29-2016, 04:19 PM   #10

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Hi Everyone,
I'm originally from Watertown...will always be my hometown, in my heart and mind. I go up to Westcott's Beach once every summer, stop by and see the little bit of family that I have left there.
The story behind my trailer is one very kind man who DROVE A LONG WAY to help make owning my Scamp a reality. He actually had to spend the night in a hotel to help me out, and we met in Madison, OH...a little over 200 miles from me.
I bought my 2012 Scamp 13er knowing he had been in an accident, knowing it had been repaired at the factory. I took my chances, also knowing I could never have afforded a new Scamp, wouldn't have had the time or money to pick up a new one at the factory, and realizing he was giving me his kindness and a good deal. I live with a few stress cracks here and there that showed up after the major repairs were made, but nothing leaks. Some of them are a little more than I like, but I've used Captain Tolley's and I wax her lots. She's my little baby, and I love her. In the end, I made a wonderful friend (seller of trailer) who is now a pen pal of mine. He was honest and forthright, showed me photos, both before and after, of the trailer. He's priceless.
I wish you all best wishes in your search. I am years away from retiring, but would most likely still own a home then, and camp my butt off as much as possible.

Cheers!
Wendy
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote