What did YOU forget on your first camping trip? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-16-2018, 11:29 AM   #41

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Back when I used to hunt a bunch of us got out of the vehicle at our destination, and in guy days "Don't mess(forum appropriate word substituted) with me you guys, where's my rifle?". Seems he left it behind.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:08 AM   #42

Name: Kim
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Thank you everyone for your responses! We just got back from our inaugural trip and the only thing we forgot was a HOSE! Would have been a huge issue, but luckily there was a camp store that had one left for sale. They had sold three more earlier in the day. It was nice to know that we weren’t the only ones!! Other than that, we found out that our gray water tank is clogged somewhere. The sink wouldn’t drain and then the shower backed up. When we went to the dump station, the water was just trickling our. All in all it was a good first trip and can’t wait to go camping again!
Kimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:10 PM   #43

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Congratulations on the successful trip. Glad you didn't get hosed.

What did I forget on my first camping trip? Dunno.... I forget.

Sometimes I find myself forgetting to 'pack light.'
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:40 PM   #44

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
There's many things over the years I was going to pack and didn't. However nothing was of important nature. Camping our a backpack is a great teacher of what is important and what is not.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:01 PM   #45

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
kimmyb,

Congrats on completing your first trip!

May you have many, many more, and all of them safe & happy!

BEST
Kai
Old 06-20-2018, 10:40 AM   #46
Nik

Name: Nik
Trailer: BigFoot
Colorado
I love a nice 3'x5' carpet and a plastic tarp to put underneath it right outside the front door. A welcome mat of sorts. I didn't exactly forget it, but after the first trip I realized I wanted one.
Nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:53 PM   #47

Name: Patricia
Trailer: ECO & Casita
California
Registry
First trip was a decent mattress topper. My ancient hip wasn’t happy with a thin foam under sleeping bag style mat. I have forgotten coffee pods, awning poles, and my Apple Watch. Negotiating Los Angeles and points south freeways is a lot easier with it, than without it. My daughter always says, “ toilet paper and can opener”
Pat Stipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:01 PM   #48

Name: Gary
Trailer: Scamp
Mass
Red face I forgot to lift my right leg

My first Scamping trip I forgot to retract the rear stabilizer jacks when leaving the campground. Managed to get almost to the gate... I did see someone doing something similar. They were dragging their towed car because the parking brake was still on.
Garyscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:14 PM   #49

Name: Melanie
Trailer: Bigfoot B-16
BC
Lock to lock up the bikes outside of the trailer, plastic bags for garbage (We generally use reusable shopping bags so didn’t have any random plastic handy) And paper towels!
marabsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:15 PM   #50

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyscamper View Post
My first Scamping trip I forgot to retract the rear stabilizer jacks when leaving the campground. Managed to get almost to the gate... I did see someone doing something similar. They were dragging their towed car because the parking brake was still on.
This reminded me of a similar forgetful moment back when I had a tent trailer. I forgot to close the fold down step. Just a few feet ahead was a telephone pedestal. Needless to say I did a fair bit of damage to both.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-20-2018, 01:42 PM   #51

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Ginny answers this by saying what ever you forget you can get at Walmarts.

Our real solution was first to camp in the trailer in the front yard, our second was our first trip was 3 miles from the house.

We're now in our 18th year of 7 months a year on the road. We still always forget something, but really nothing. The reality is you can do without most of what you carry or come up with a workaround.

It's amazing how little you need. This year we're traveling with our son and daughter in law. I think they have more storage space under their bed than our Scamp. They are always offering to store stuff for us.

They have 30 spices and we have 5.....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:00 PM   #52

Registry
Norm and Ginny, we have two spices: salt and pepper. We pick up ketchup and horsey sauce packets if we happen to eat in the restaurants that offer them...and then we try to use them up and toss the empties.

Kai
Old 06-20-2018, 05:09 PM   #53

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
They have 30 spices and we have 5.....

They have 25 stale spices and 5 fresh spices that they actually use.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:12 PM   #54

Registry
Glenn Baglo: speaking of stale spices, we don't even really use the pepper...but they came as a set.

We're camping, after all. Roughing it.

Kai

"If I want to be comfortable and happy, I'll stay home."
Old 06-20-2018, 05:50 PM   #55

Registry
My wife brings along about 10 different spices and uses them all. Indian food, fish, steaks, etc. I dedicated space in one of the kitchen drawers for them, and not an I ever glad I did.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:11 PM   #56

Name: Sturmey
Trailer: Trillium
Confusion
A place for everything and everything in its place

I had two teachers that taught me how to pack. First my father. I helped with setup and take down when I was a kid and we did a lot of camping. I think the first trip was almost 50 years ago. The second teacher I had was a boss who was an ISO and LEAN/Six Sigma consultant.

My Father always had a place for the things we needed when camping. All the tools to jack up, stabilize, hook up, etc had their spot in the trailer and that's where they lived. Use them, then put them back, or else.

My Boss always said have the tools you need where you need them, and make "kits" for what you are doing. If you always need a 1/2" wrench when setting up part X, the get another 1/2" wrench just for that job, and either tie it there, or make a holder or something so that it's always there.

My Wife and I just bought a Trillium and I've done a bunch of work on it, but part of what we did was get the tools and parts we need to camp and find a spot for them in the trailer. When we got back from the 1st trip, we made a list of what worked and what didn't. Next trip we fix the mistakes we made on the last trip. (Apparently we need to buy new salt and pepper shakers )
Sturmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:25 PM   #57

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturmey View Post
...My Boss always said have the tools you need where you need them, and make "kits" for what you are doing. If you always need a 1/2" wrench when setting up part X, the get another 1/2" wrench just for that job, and either tie it there, or make a holder or something so that it's always there.
Exactly. In my garage hanging next to the drill press is a multi-wrench that fits all adjustments... and zip-tied to my Dremel tool's cord is a 3/8ths wrench for the chuck. Wrenches that are not robbed from a set, but purchased specifically (often at flea markets or yard sales) for the task at hand. Same with tools needed for the Scamp.

It's not just a good idea, it's a way of life. Once a Boy Scout, always a Boy Scout: Be Prepared!

Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote