What kind of trailer do you think?mom needs input - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-27-2014, 10:06 AM   #1

Name: sandi
Trailer: Shopping
Illinois
What kind of trailer do you think?mom needs input

Hi, I have a 8 foot Jayco sport popup which offers plenty of space, but it is soo much work. It's myself and 2 young kids that want to camp often, maybe do some traveling out west, but I am looking for ...

A lightweight trailer that sleeps 3 (Towed by a Chevy equinox 6 cylinder)
has locking doors- not a popup- don't always feel safe
bathroom/shower option would be nice
AC/Heat
Propane and electric
maybe a little storage space
Something easy to set up, level- maybe just drop some leveling jacks down?
Something small, maybe fit in the garage? (wishful thinking)

not too price, just bought this popup and already thinking about trading it in/up.
I was thinking maybe an egg or scamp or T@DA. I really like the T@B, but it looks like they only sleep 2.

What do you think?
Thanks for your help!
sandie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:43 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
It would help to know the tow rating of your Equinox. The bathroom is the biggie. If you could make do with a porta-potty for emergencies and use the public bathrooms otherwise, a 13'er could work for you. Properly set up, that should be an easy tow with your Equinox. We are four in a Scamp 13' and we stay at state parks, mostly, with nice restrooms and hot showers. I was not interested in all the maintenance that comes with a full plumbing system.

If you consider the bathroom essential, you probably need to be looking in the 15-17' range. There are a lot of choices there, but many may be too heavy. Check the thread "Trailer Weights in the Real World" for actual user data.

I love it that you are taking your kids out! The bonding is priceless.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:52 AM   #3

Name: sandi
Trailer: Shopping
Illinois
3500 is the tow weight of our vehicle. I guess I should do some research about the plumbing involved with having a potty in the RV- a guess a port-a-potty would do.We camp at populated areas as well, nothing crazy out there. I thought the 13 scamp was made for 2? I want something to grow with me and the kids- I'll do some more research about the scamp! Thanks Jon!
sandie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:04 AM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
First, look in the owners manual for YOUR vehicle for towing limits.
Some Equinox models can tow as high as 3500 lbs "WHEN PROPERLY EQUIPPED". You may have to talk to Chevy to find out what that means and what you might have to add to your vehicle to get to that limit.

Most 13'; FGRV's, without bathrooms, can sleep 4, two adults in the dinette/bed and two children on the front couch/bunk bed. But there are weight limits on the upper bunk.

FWIW: This time of year "Not to pricy" and "Molded fiberglass trailers" are mutually exclusive terms.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:17 AM   #5

Arizona
Registry
A 13' Scamp will sleep up to 4, depending on configuration. With the front bathroom it's limited to 2, and a tight 2 at that. I wouldn't recommend it for your situation. But without the bath, there is a sofa in the front that makes into 2 bunks (with a slide-in compartment for the porta-potty underneath). I can see it working in your situation. If the kids are still little, one could sleep with you in the dinette bed and the other on the sofa. When they get older they can have the bunks and you get the whole dinette bed to yourself . One warning - the upper bunk does not come with a safety rail. I was able to rig one up very simply, and there are many ideas for how to do it on this site (you can see mine in the registry). When they get too big for the bunks, toss them outside in a tent and have the whole trailer to yourself!!

Regarding Scamps in general, I can personally give them a thumbs up. Their design is simple and hasn't changed much since the 70's. Among the trailers in production now (since I am assuming you are looking for a newer unit) they are among the lightest and least expensive hard-sided options out there. Finish and build quality reflect their focus on simplicity and economy, but I am very satisfied.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:48 AM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Take a look at the thread Real World Trailer Weights to see which size and brand of fiberglass trailer fits your vehicles towing limit and take it from there.

Scamps, Trilliums, Bolers and Escapes all have models with front bunks that work well with 2 adults and 2 children.

Re the T@DA I have a couple of friends with those trailers - the bed sleeps two people and the side dinette drops down for the 3rd person.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:51 AM   #7

Arizona
Registry
One more thing…
Since Midwest summers make AC almost a necessity, you should know this about Scamp 13'ers. Early models rarely have AC, and if they do, it is a window-type mounted under the closet. Now they put it on the roof, which requires reinforcing the roof structure. If a trailer you are looking at already has factory AC installed, you are good to go. But if not, it may or may not have the required reinforcement (an AC prep package, which has the built-in reinforcement and wiring, but no AC, is a Scamp option). If it doesn't have it, you can't add AC.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:22 PM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Take a look at the thread Real World Trailer Weights to see which size and brand of fiberglass trailer fits your vehicles towing limit and take it from there.
And I would add, leave yourself some reserve capacity, especially since you sound like you may be thinking about tackling the Rockies. My Pilot also has a 3500/350 limit. I am not even close to that, and I like it that way. Along the same lines, no matter what you get, make sure you have trailer brakes. Again, not all 13'ers have them, unfortunately.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:16 PM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
A Trillium 4500 with a front dinette. Well that's what I want, but I am a tad biased.

No shower or toilet, but hey it's just the three of you. A porta potty and a privacy curtain are almost as good. Showers can be done inside, but we use a shower tent.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ium-39176.html
Broadstone Privacy Shelter | Canadian Tire

In my opinion, plumbing in a trailer is over rated. The smaller Trilliums have no grey or black tanks, just a sink drain out the side of the trailer, which a small portable grey tank will connect to.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:37 PM   #10

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
A Trillium 4500 with a front dinette. Well that's what I want, but I am a tad biased.
Hah! Aren't we all here! Love the one you're with… works for FGRVs, too!

Actually, I've drooled over pictures of new Trilliums from the facility that was supposed to start production here in AZ… Is that a going thing, or did it evaporate in the desert heat? Haven't heard much recently.

David mentioned the Trillium 4500, which gives you a couple of extra feet of breathing room compared the Scamp in the same floor plan (choice of bunks or dinette in front, sleeps 3 or 4 depending) and definitely a higher level of finish and trim than Scamp. As I said, drooling…

Ah well… love the one you're with!
Old 05-27-2014, 04:56 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Actually, I've drooled over pictures of new Trilliums from the facility that was supposed to start production here in AZ… Is that a going thing, or did it evaporate in the desert heat? Haven't heard much recently.
They did make them in AZ as well as a number of other locations for a short time but then they have either sold out or former a joint venture of some sort (depends on who you ask) and the trailers are currently being made in Winnipeg (but the company has indicated they will be moving south in the future) by a company called Great West Vans and are now called the Sidekick - no mention on the name Trillium on them but the company recently added the name Trillium behind the Sidekick name on their website.

The other company still in Canada that is still making trailers and was originally the makers of the Trillium until the partnership fell apart and the party above took off to make the trailers in the US , is www.trilliumtrailers.com who make what is now called the Outback due to legal issues with the name usage with the other party.... either way most of the folks who own the Outback simple call them a Trillium
Old 05-27-2014, 07:11 PM   #12

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
They did make them in AZ as well as a number of other locations for a short time but then they have either sold out or former a joint venture of some sort (depends on who you ask) and the trailers are currently being made in Winnipeg (but the company has indicated they will be moving south in the future) by a company called Great West Vans and are now called the Sidekick - no mention on the name Trillium on them but the company recently added the name Trillium behind the Sidekick name on their website.

The other company still in Canada that is still making trailers and was originally the makers of the Trillium until the partnership fell apart and the party above took off to make the trailers in the US , is www.trilliumtrailers.com who make what is now called the Outback due to legal issues with the name usage with the other party.... either way most of the folks who own the Outback simple call them a Trillium
Wow! Complicated, as split-ups generally are, I guess. Here's the website I was looking at: Trillium RV | Vintage Style / Legendary Quality / Activity-Driven Design. It must be the US-based branch, which appears to be using the Trillium name. The site makes it appear the factory is already in production. However, I recall seeing a partially-completed early prototype for sale in AZ not long ago (no windows or cabinets). Seemed an odd thing for a manufacturer to do, and I wondered if they had given up the venture.

I guess the real issue pertinent to this thread is whether a newer Trillium is an option for the OP. Seems like a nice, well-thought out design with a long history.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:04 PM   #13

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
A ParkLiner would fit the bill nicely. We tow ours with a vehicle with 3500#s capacity. Sleeps up to 4 with the bunk bed option, and ours has that along with a 3 way frig, heat, hot water, AC, queen size bed, toilet and shower. Problem is they're hard to find used.

ParkLiner Fiberglass Ultralight Travel Trailers - – Take me somewhere fun! ™

Best of luck to you!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:17 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Wow! Complicated, as split-ups generally are, I guess. Here's the website I was looking at: Trillium RV | Vintage Style / Legendary Quality / Activity-Driven Design. It must be the US-based branch, which appears to be using the Trillium name. The site makes it appear the factory is already in production. However, I recall seeing a partially-completed early prototype for sale in AZ not long ago (no windows or cabinets). Seemed an odd thing for a manufacturer to do, and I wondered if they had given up the venture.
There are no Trilliums being built in AZ these days. The website for the company in AZ you are looking at is a about 3 or 4 years old and those are the trailers that are now being built as the Sidekick by Great West Vans in Winnipeg...
Old 05-28-2014, 08:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
A ParkLiner would fit the bill nicely. ...... Problem is they're hard to find used.

ParkLiner Fiberglass Ultralight Travel Trailers - – Take me somewhere fun! ™

Best of luck to you!

Frank
And it seems that they are sometimes even harder to find new

Old 05-28-2014, 08:44 AM   #16

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
And it seems that they are sometimes even harder to find new
Not anymore since Tom Bass joined the company. They're getting them out the door about one/week, and doing a great job of it, i.e., keeping everyone happy with no breakdowns in communications. You can blame it completely on Tom!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 05-28-2014, 09:00 AM   #17

That's really good news... Are they caught up on outstanding orders?

Old 05-28-2014, 09:10 AM   #18

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
That's really good news... Are they caught up on outstanding orders?
I agree, it is good news!

They have put all warranty work off till 6 (or maybe 7?) new trailers are built for customers, and they figure that will be sometime in mid to late July. Then I can get down there and get a few things done! Since I was told this a few weeks ago, I think they've been getting out one about every week. If you go to the ParkLiner tab on the home page here, you'll see what I mean. And not all new owners are on this forum. I find new ones on ParkLiner's Facebook page. Yesterday two new prospects walked in the door as well. That's all I know.

Things have really seemed to turn around there since Tom Bass stepped in.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 12-27-2016, 07:37 AM   #19

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
New Brunswick
I find it hard to believe the Trillium's are not selling well & the parts demand for the early ones is not enough reason to continue production. Labor cost is the big issue I suppose. There is a lot of hand labor in Fiber glass items. I traveled 500 miles to buy my 1976 Trillium 13' & I love it ,warm & dry ,tows like a dream even in the cross winds. Duane
getaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:27 AM   #20
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by getaway1 View Post
I find it hard to believe the Trillium's are not selling well & the parts demand for the early ones is not enough reason to continue production. Labor cost is the big issue I suppose. There is a lot of hand labor in Fiber glass items. I traveled 500 miles to buy my 1976 Trillium 13' & I love it ,warm & dry ,tows like a dream even in the cross winds. Duane
Stay tuned
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote