What made you choose FBRV? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-25-2016, 10:32 AM   #41
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 7,756
Registry
Every retired school teacher which I have met was apparently well healed with a comfortable retirement. Clearly, the day of the penurious schoolmarm is a myth from the distant past.

Fiberglass trailers are not cheap compared to their stick built counterparts but they do tend to attract those who study their options and choose value in a travel trailer as well as choosing practicality over extravagance of life stye.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:29 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Kevin K's Avatar
 
Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Posts: 3,074
Registry
Love our Casita because:
Easy to pull.
Light weight.
Layout.
No leaks(If you keep eye on rivets)
All Fiberglass.
VALUE.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:39 PM   #43
Member
 
Name: Tom and Stephanie
Trailer: Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe
Wisconsin
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Love our Casita because:
Easy to pull.
Light weight.
Layout.
No leaks(If you keep eye on rivets)
All Fiberglass.
VALUE.
What he said!
Tom Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:16 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Every retired school teacher which I have met was apparently well healed with a comfortable retirement. Clearly, the day of the penurious schoolmarm is a myth from the distant past.

Fiberglass trailers are not cheap compared to their stick built counterparts but they do tend to attract those who study their options and choose value in a travel trailer as well as choosing practicality over extravagance of life stye.
Really Floyd? Well healed? Comfortable? Here are some facts for you. I have been teaching for 30 years, have a Master's Degree. I haven't seen a raise in 6 years, get paid twice a month, my take home paycheck is $1555.20, which comes to a whopping $37,320 per year. The new insurance deductible is $4K per year, so my real take home pay is a tick over $33K per year. When/if I retire my health insurance is now pretty much rugged within a couple years. I take home less than 1/2 the pay per year of all my siblings, except for the one who just got out of school and took a job for $18K more than my 30 years experience. Thanks Floyd for being the first to take an insulting cheap shot at us rich teachers. I knew it wouldn't take long. And thanks for reminding me that I am nothing but a parasite to taxpayers and should do it for free.

I know Floyd, you and other talk radio listeners don't believe my numbers. Please feel free to PM me with your address and I will send you a copy of my bank statement (with sensitive info blanked out of course). All I ask is that you report back here and state what I said is accurate.

Besides that, when you can buy a used FGRV for $5-12K, that is not way out of line, especially when you don't need to get a huge, expensive tow vehicle to boot.
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:19 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
Posts: 7,240
"Again these are only my opinions and many will disagree. I fully expect to being bashed by some posters. A lot of haters out there" - Vtec

Thought you might be looking for a fight when I read your post. Now, I know you're looking for a fight.
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:35 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
EllPea in CA's Avatar
 
Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
CA
Posts: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Every retired school teacher which I have met was apparently well healed with a comfortable retirement. Clearly, the day of the penurious schoolmarm is a myth from the distant past.
Obviously you have never met any non-tenured or part-time faculty teaching at the college level.

Regarding the "engineering" issue; this is interesting. In 8th grade I came home from school to excitedly tell my mother I had tested "near genius" in logic and mechanics.

My mother was very illogical (so that didn't impress her), and the only mechanics she knew had permanently greasy, black hands and fingernails.

So her reaction was HORROR.

I became an English instructor. And yes, I research EVERYTHING.

(and love digging for unusual solutions, fixes, making new things...)
__________________
Best,
EllPea in CA
EllPea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:39 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
EllPea in CA's Avatar
 
Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
CA
Posts: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
"Again these are only my opinions and many will disagree. I fully expect to being bashed by some posters. A lot of haters out there" - Vtec

Thought you might be looking for a fight when I read your post. Now, I know you're looking for a fight.
Oh, goody.

Another perfectly delightful thread shot to hell.
__________________
Best,
EllPea in CA
EllPea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:46 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
Posts: 7,240
Yup. Last paragraph, post #39.
Calling anyone who may respond a 'hater' and anticipating such posts.
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 05:13 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
EllPea in CA's Avatar
 
Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
CA
Posts: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Yup. Last paragraph, post #39.
Calling anyone who may respond a 'hater' and anticipating such posts.
Nope, that's not what he said. But as far as anticipating such posts, apparently he was correct.

Let's drop this now and get back to the original discussion. In any case, I'm dropping out of THIS portion of it all.
__________________
Best,
EllPea in CA
EllPea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 05:18 PM   #50
Junior Member
 
Name: Jonathan
Trailer: In the market
Maryland
Posts: 12
So, I work in computers, networks, security, etc. Very engineerish.
My wife is a teacher.
Funny.

Perhaps one reason not mentioned that teachers own FBRVs, or just RVs in general is that they have summers off, and once the initial investment of the RV is out of the way, it affords a relatively inexpensive means of vacationing over the long holidays.

Also, teaching is an incredibly noble profession, but you don't go into it for the money, and you don't stay in it for the money. There will be those few who find a position with significant benefits and salary, but that is not the norm. But I don't hold any animosity towards those teachers. Why? because teachers 'should' be paid well.
At the high school level, which is where i have the most experience, this profesion is not 9-5. There is no overtime, and there is always work to be done at night. For instance, my wife teaches 6 English classes of somewhere between 20 and 30 students each. She has 1 free period, and 1 lunch period. Of all those classes, those students will have created homework, essays, reports, journals, exams, and portfolios. All of which needs to be graded on time. That is anywhere from 1-4 hours a night, and often weekends.
Then my wife needs to deal with the crazy that is the American teenager on a daily basis.
AND she gets the added pleasure of dealing with parents... Parents can be crazy...

She has literally saved lives. She has redirected lives, and I've witnessed her throw all 5'6" of herself into a fight between 2: 6'+ athletes and break them apart.

My wife's a badass, a really good teacher, and in some cases one of the few positive influences that these kids see. And she gets paid a fraction of her value to society.
So it's a good thing that she and hundreds of other teachers don't do it for the money.

Back to RVs, my wife wants to put flower stickers all over one if we get it. Where do you find those?
JustBrowsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 05:38 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
Posts: 7,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
Nope, that's not what he said. But as far as anticipating such posts, apparently he was correct.
Care to quote these 'hater' posts? I believe Floyd expressed his experience and I haven't expressed an opinion on teachers at all.
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 01:35 AM   #52
Senior Member
 
Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Posts: 552
Just browsing-my grands were also terrified of bugs.
In 2007 I bought a tent larger than my first apartment, ( the Tent Mahal) , an inflatable mattress, rented a van, took the month of June off, and drove my 13 and 8 year old grandchidren north with the spring.
Starting in the mountains of GA we had. Lots of fireflies each night and I would sneak a scant handful into the tent Mahal each night.

By the end of June they were at least no longer terrified of lightning bugs
__________________
That's my job. I read...and I know things
Mitzi Agnew-Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:27 AM   #53
Senior Member
 
Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Posts: 4,390
I choose a new Scamp as an upgrade from a Jayco Pop-Up...
  1. To avoid all the set-up and tear-down of a Pop-Up (that so often seemed to end up being done in the rain)
  2. To have a camper that I could tow with my van without needing to replace the practically new vehicle.
  3. For the benefit of water tight design and construction (no leaks) as well as overall quality that fiberglass campers generally have a reputation for.

Objectives 1 and 2 were fully met. Objective # 3 was pretty much a total fail. Well, maybe not a total fail but definitely a disappointment.
gordon2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:37 AM   #54
Senior Member
 
Carl Pa's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Posts: 578
The only way I can go on vacations and make my dog feel at home. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:44 AM   #55
Junior Member
 
Name: Jonathan
Trailer: In the market
Maryland
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I choose a new Scamp as an upgrade from a Jayco Pop-Up...
  1. To avoid all the set-up and tear-down of a Pop-Up (that so often seemed to end up being done in the rain)
  2. To have a camper that I could tow with my van without needing to replace the practically new vehicle.
  3. For the benefit of water tight design and construction (no leaks) as well as overall quality that fiberglass campers generally have a reputation for.

Objectives 1 and 2 were fully met. Objective # 3 was pretty much a total fail. Well, maybe not a total fail but definitely a disappointment.
Gordon2, please tell me more about why you had water issues?
It sounds like they were immediate?
JustBrowsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:47 AM   #56
Junior Member
 
Name: Jonathan
Trailer: In the market
Maryland
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
Just browsing-my grands were also terrified of bugs.
In 2007 I bought a tent larger than my first apartment, ( the Tent Mahal) , an inflatable mattress, rented a van, took the month of June off, and drove my 13 and 8 year old grandchidren north with the spring.
Starting in the mountains of GA we had. Lots of fireflies each night and I would sneak a scant handful into the tent Mahal each night.

By the end of June they were at least no longer terrified of lightning bugs
They love lightning bugs, lady bugs, crickets, and grasshoppers.
Anything that flys freaks her out, as do traditionally creepy bugs. She has come a long way in the last couple of years, but there is still work to be done. They are both great sports about camping.
JustBrowsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:03 AM   #57
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 7,756
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec View Post
Really Floyd? Well healed? Comfortable? Here are some facts for you. I have been teaching for 30 years, have a Master's Degree. I haven't seen a raise in 6 years, get paid twice a month, my take home paycheck is $1555.20, which comes to a whopping $37,320 per year. The new insurance deductible is $4K per year, so my real take home pay is a tick over $33K per year. When/if I retire my health insurance is now pretty much rugged within a couple years. I take home less than 1/2 the pay per year of all my siblings, except for the one who just got out of school and took a job for $18K more than my 30 years experience. Thanks Floyd for being the first to take an insulting cheap shot at us rich teachers. I knew it wouldn't take long. And thanks for reminding me that I am nothing but a parasite to taxpayers and should do it for free.

I know Floyd, you and other talk radio listeners don't believe my numbers. Please feel free to PM me with your address and I will send you a copy of my bank statement (with sensitive info blanked out of course). All I ask is that you report back here and state what I said is accurate.

Besides that, when you can buy a used FGRV for $5-12K, that is not way out of line, especially when you don't need to get a huge, expensive tow vehicle to boot.
Please note that I made no "insulting cheap shots",nor did I call anyone a "parasite".
All the insulting remarks so far are contained in your comment above.
If you insist on self deprecation, I suggest you might at least elevate yourself from "parasite" to "symbiote".
Of course I would go much further and and use the term "valued professional asset".

I am sorry that you feel that you have been under compensated, but many in your profession have made a comfortable living at it, including several members of my own family. This renders your comment anecdotal and on an equal status with mine. (except for your knee-jerk vitriol)
BTW.. So far I have only heard your point of view in the media, could you please direct me to the aforementioned radio talk shows? (just for balance mind you).
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:19 AM   #58
Senior Member
 
Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBrowsing View Post
Gordon2, please tell me more about why you had water issues?
...
See

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ner-72620.html
gordon2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:56 AM   #59
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 7,756
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec View Post

Besides that, when you can buy a used FGRV for $5-12K, that is not way out of line, especially when you don't need to get a huge, expensive tow vehicle to boot.
GOOD POINT! In fact you might say that trailers in that range are often "FREE".
I have rehabbed and resold >a couple dozen fiberglass trailers (all less than $5000) . A low paid hobby for me, but many of these trailers have proven to be "FREE" to many of my buyers when they decided to sell.
Its not always having money which makes you comfortable, but how you manage it.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:58 PM   #60
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 4,794
Our first RV was a Chalet A frame. It was easy to tow, easy to set up, and very roomy. But we found three things we didn't like that made us decide to sell. First, a bathroom break required set up and always drew a crowd. Second, there were way too many moving parts. Third there were only two windows, both sliders. Not enough ventilation especially in the rain.

We bought fiberglass for longevity and a Trillium because of the jalousie windows on all four sides. Raz, retired engineer and teacher.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Solar(s) Panel(s), wich choose? Gilles Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 72 04-11-2016 09:45 AM
How do I choose?? FishBioGirl General Chat 8 10-08-2013 09:17 PM
Which small trailer would you choose? Joel3217 Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 12 05-13-2008 09:13 PM
Which FBRV's Qualify For Ca's PTI Plates? Joseph Domingos General Chat 17 05-06-2007 05:35 AM
Which small trailer would you choose? Joel3217 General Chat 0 01-01-1970 12:00 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.