What made you choose FBRV? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2016, 10:32 AM   #41

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Every retired school teacher which I have met was apparently well healed with a comfortable retirement. Clearly, the day of the penurious schoolmarm is a myth from the distant past.

Fiberglass trailers are not cheap compared to their stick built counterparts but they do tend to attract those who study their options and choose value in a travel trailer as well as choosing practicality over extravagance of life stye.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:29 PM   #42

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Love our Casita because:
Easy to pull.
Light weight.
Layout.
No leaks(If you keep eye on rivets)
All Fiberglass.
VALUE.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:39 PM   #43

Name: Tom and Stephanie
Trailer: Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Love our Casita because:
Easy to pull.
Light weight.
Layout.
No leaks(If you keep eye on rivets)
All Fiberglass.
VALUE.
What he said!
Tom Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:16 PM   #44

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Every retired school teacher which I have met was apparently well healed with a comfortable retirement. Clearly, the day of the penurious schoolmarm is a myth from the distant past.

Fiberglass trailers are not cheap compared to their stick built counterparts but they do tend to attract those who study their options and choose value in a travel trailer as well as choosing practicality over extravagance of life stye.
Really Floyd? Well healed? Comfortable? Here are some facts for you. I have been teaching for 30 years, have a Master's Degree. I haven't seen a raise in 6 years, get paid twice a month, my take home paycheck is $1555.20, which comes to a whopping $37,320 per year. The new insurance deductible is $4K per year, so my real take home pay is a tick over $33K per year. When/if I retire my health insurance is now pretty much rugged within a couple years. I take home less than 1/2 the pay per year of all my siblings, except for the one who just got out of school and took a job for $18K more than my 30 years experience. Thanks Floyd for being the first to take an insulting cheap shot at us rich teachers. I knew it wouldn't take long. And thanks for reminding me that I am nothing but a parasite to taxpayers and should do it for free.

I know Floyd, you and other talk radio listeners don't believe my numbers. Please feel free to PM me with your address and I will send you a copy of my bank statement (with sensitive info blanked out of course). All I ask is that you report back here and state what I said is accurate.

Besides that, when you can buy a used FGRV for $5-12K, that is not way out of line, especially when you don't need to get a huge, expensive tow vehicle to boot.
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:19 PM   #45

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
"Again these are only my opinions and many will disagree. I fully expect to being bashed by some posters. A lot of haters out there" - Vtec

Thought you might be looking for a fight when I read your post. Now, I know you're looking for a fight.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:35 PM   #46

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Obviously you have never met any non-tenured or part-time faculty teaching at the college level.

Regarding the "engineering" issue; this is interesting. In 8th grade I came home from school to excitedly tell my mother I had tested "near genius" in logic and mechanics.

My mother was very illogical (so that didn't impress her), and the only mechanics she knew had permanently greasy, black hands and fingernails.

So her reaction was HORROR.

I became an English instructor. And yes, I research EVERYTHING.

(and love digging for unusual solutions, fixes, making new things...)
Old 09-25-2016, 04:39 PM   #47

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
"Again these are only my opinions and many will disagree. I fully expect to being bashed by some posters. A lot of haters out there" - Vtec

Thought you might be looking for a fight when I read your post. Now, I know you're looking for a fight.
Oh, goody.

Another perfectly delightful thread shot to hell.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:46 PM   #48

Yup. Last paragraph, post #39.
Calling anyone who may respond a 'hater' and anticipating such posts.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:13 PM   #49

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Yup. Last paragraph, post #39.
Calling anyone who may respond a 'hater' and anticipating such posts.
Nope, that's not what he said. But as far as anticipating such posts, apparently he was correct.

Let's drop this now and get back to the original discussion. In any case, I'm dropping out of THIS portion of it all.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:18 PM   #50

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: In the market
Maryland
So, I work in computers, networks, security, etc. Very engineerish.
My wife is a teacher.
Funny.

Perhaps one reason not mentioned that teachers own FBRVs, or just RVs in general is that they have summers off, and once the initial investment of the RV is out of the way, it affords a relatively inexpensive means of vacationing over the long holidays.

Also, teaching is an incredibly noble profession, but you don't go into it for the money, and you don't stay in it for the money. There will be those few who find a position with significant benefits and salary, but that is not the norm. But I don't hold any animosity towards those teachers. Why? because teachers 'should' be paid well.
At the high school level, which is where i have the most experience, this profesion is not 9-5. There is no overtime, and there is always work to be done at night. For instance, my wife teaches 6 English classes of somewhere between 20 and 30 students each. She has 1 free period, and 1 lunch period. Of all those classes, those students will have created homework, essays, reports, journals, exams, and portfolios. All of which needs to be graded on time. That is anywhere from 1-4 hours a night, and often weekends.
Then my wife needs to deal with the crazy that is the American teenager on a daily basis.
AND she gets the added pleasure of dealing with parents... Parents can be crazy...

She has literally saved lives. She has redirected lives, and I've witnessed her throw all 5'6" of herself into a fight between 2: 6'+ athletes and break them apart.

My wife's a badass, a really good teacher, and in some cases one of the few positive influences that these kids see. And she gets paid a fraction of her value to society.
So it's a good thing that she and hundreds of other teachers don't do it for the money.

Back to RVs, my wife wants to put flower stickers all over one if we get it. Where do you find those?
JustBrowsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 05:38 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
Nope, that's not what he said. But as far as anticipating such posts, apparently he was correct.
Care to quote these 'hater' posts? I believe Floyd expressed his experience and I haven't expressed an opinion on teachers at all.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:35 AM   #52

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Just browsing-my grands were also terrified of bugs.
In 2007 I bought a tent larger than my first apartment, ( the Tent Mahal) , an inflatable mattress, rented a van, took the month of June off, and drove my 13 and 8 year old grandchidren north with the spring.
Starting in the mountains of GA we had. Lots of fireflies each night and I would sneak a scant handful into the tent Mahal each night.

By the end of June they were at least no longer terrified of lightning bugs
Old 09-26-2016, 07:27 AM   #53

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I choose a new Scamp as an upgrade from a Jayco Pop-Up...
  1. To avoid all the set-up and tear-down of a Pop-Up (that so often seemed to end up being done in the rain)
  2. To have a camper that I could tow with my van without needing to replace the practically new vehicle.
  3. For the benefit of water tight design and construction (no leaks) as well as overall quality that fiberglass campers generally have a reputation for.

Objectives 1 and 2 were fully met. Objective # 3 was pretty much a total fail. Well, maybe not a total fail but definitely a disappointment.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:37 AM   #54

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
The only way I can go on vacations and make my dog feel at home. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:44 AM   #55

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I choose a new Scamp as an upgrade from a Jayco Pop-Up...
  1. To avoid all the set-up and tear-down of a Pop-Up (that so often seemed to end up being done in the rain)
  2. To have a camper that I could tow with my van without needing to replace the practically new vehicle.
  3. For the benefit of water tight design and construction (no leaks) as well as overall quality that fiberglass campers generally have a reputation for.

Objectives 1 and 2 were fully met. Objective # 3 was pretty much a total fail. Well, maybe not a total fail but definitely a disappointment.
Gordon2, please tell me more about why you had water issues?
It sounds like they were immediate?
Old 09-26-2016, 08:47 AM   #56

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
Just browsing-my grands were also terrified of bugs.
In 2007 I bought a tent larger than my first apartment, ( the Tent Mahal) , an inflatable mattress, rented a van, took the month of June off, and drove my 13 and 8 year old grandchidren north with the spring.
Starting in the mountains of GA we had. Lots of fireflies each night and I would sneak a scant handful into the tent Mahal each night.

By the end of June they were at least no longer terrified of lightning bugs
They love lightning bugs, lady bugs, crickets, and grasshoppers.
Anything that flys freaks her out, as do traditionally creepy bugs. She has come a long way in the last couple of years, but there is still work to be done. They are both great sports about camping.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:03 AM   #57

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec View Post
Really Floyd? Well healed? Comfortable? Here are some facts for you. I have been teaching for 30 years, have a Master's Degree. I haven't seen a raise in 6 years, get paid twice a month, my take home paycheck is $1555.20, which comes to a whopping $37,320 per year. The new insurance deductible is $4K per year, so my real take home pay is a tick over $33K per year. When/if I retire my health insurance is now pretty much rugged within a couple years. I take home less than 1/2 the pay per year of all my siblings, except for the one who just got out of school and took a job for $18K more than my 30 years experience. Thanks Floyd for being the first to take an insulting cheap shot at us rich teachers. I knew it wouldn't take long. And thanks for reminding me that I am nothing but a parasite to taxpayers and should do it for free.

I know Floyd, you and other talk radio listeners don't believe my numbers. Please feel free to PM me with your address and I will send you a copy of my bank statement (with sensitive info blanked out of course). All I ask is that you report back here and state what I said is accurate.

Besides that, when you can buy a used FGRV for $5-12K, that is not way out of line, especially when you don't need to get a huge, expensive tow vehicle to boot.
Please note that I made no "insulting cheap shots",nor did I call anyone a "parasite".
All the insulting remarks so far are contained in your comment above.
If you insist on self deprecation, I suggest you might at least elevate yourself from "parasite" to "symbiote".
Of course I would go much further and and use the term "valued professional asset".

I am sorry that you feel that you have been under compensated, but many in your profession have made a comfortable living at it, including several members of my own family. This renders your comment anecdotal and on an equal status with mine. (except for your knee-jerk vitriol)
BTW.. So far I have only heard your point of view in the media, could you please direct me to the aforementioned radio talk shows? (just for balance mind you).
Old 09-26-2016, 09:19 AM   #58

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBrowsing View Post
Gordon2, please tell me more about why you had water issues?
See

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ner-72620.html
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:56 AM   #59

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec View Post

GOOD POINT! In fact you might say that trailers in that range are often "FREE".
I have rehabbed and resold >a couple dozen fiberglass trailers (all less than $5000) . A low paid hobby for me, but many of these trailers have proven to be "FREE" to many of my buyers when they decided to sell.
Its not always having money which makes you comfortable, but how you manage it.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:58 PM   #60
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Our first RV was a Chalet A frame. It was easy to tow, easy to set up, and very roomy. But we found three things we didn't like that made us decide to sell. First, a bathroom break required set up and always drew a crowd. Second, there were way too many moving parts. Third there were only two windows, both sliders. Not enough ventilation especially in the rain.

We bought fiberglass for longevity and a Trillium because of the jalousie windows on all four sides. Raz, retired engineer and teacher.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote