What trailer to buy? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2017, 06:51 PM   #61

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebooks View Post
That avatar of yours looks like someone I used to know back in the day. Baseball. Looks like the fellow who liked to sharpen his spikes for his slides into second.
Honus? I thought he was a pretty good guy, but then it was a rough game.

I don't know about the spike sharpening stories. I wasn't there.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:10 PM   #62

Name: Michael
Trailer: Oliver Travel Trailer
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlcivi View Post
I also had a cabin in the moutainous woods of Pa. We sold it after 20 years of hard work keeping it going. as I got older it kind of got harder to take care of it. When i was home i worried about up there, when i was up there i worried about home down there. Then being retired there was double exspences, taxes were the big thing. So i got the Scamp now my country home is a traveling home. It an go to beach or in the desert or a near big attractions.
Sounds like a great lifestyle and one I am ready to embrace.
roguebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:13 PM   #63

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Honus? I thought he was a pretty good guy, but then it was a rough game.

I don't know about the spike sharpening stories. I wasn't there.
My mistake. Honus Wagner it is. I knew I knew that face. For some reason I was thinking it might be Ty Cobb who was famous for playing rough and dirty. Great avatar.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:10 AM   #64

Name: tony
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB
British Columbia
Buy a 17.5" bigfoot in BC Canada

Your American dollar buys $1.36 Canadian. Why would you forgo a 36% discount on arguably the best FG trailer made in North America? Bigfoots are currently built in Armstrong BC and there are a number of dealers that will help you purchase one in BC and take it legally home to the USA. Its not a big deal but it is a huge dollar saving! When we listed our 17.5" Bigfoot a couple years ago 11 out of 12 inquiries were from Americans. We wound up selling it to neighbours for full asking price of $25,000 Canadian. It was a 2008 model. We now own a 21' dual axle as we needed more room towed with a new Pathfinder. When thinking of purchasing a trailer don't forget your neighbours to the North for savings. By the way, this is the reason all our late model used trucks are being scooped up by American dealers and shipped south.
ninklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:58 AM   #65

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninklink View Post
Your American dollar buys $1.36 Canadian. Why would you forgo a 36% discount on arguably the best FG trailer made in North America? Bigfoots are currently built in Armstrong BC and there are a number of dealers that will help you purchase one in BC and take it legally home to the USA. Its not a big deal but it is a huge dollar saving! When we listed our 17.5" Bigfoot a couple years ago 11 out of 12 inquiries were from Americans. We wound up selling it to neighbours for full asking price of $25,000 Canadian. It was a 2008 model. We now own a 21' dual axle as we needed more room towed with a new Pathfinder. When thinking of purchasing a trailer don't forget your neighbours to the North for savings. By the way, this is the reason all our late model used trucks are being scooped up by American dealers and shipped south.
Thanks. Just don't like all the carpet, fabric, and wood in a Bigfoot. Otherwise looks like a nice trailer. I do love my neighbors to the north.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:12 AM   #66

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Thanks Bill. It appears to me that there is fabric or carpet, something, on the walls and ceiling of the Scamp 16. What is it? And why?
The Scamp walls have Reflectix insulation (air bubble stuff) and what the experts here refer to as "rat fur" (marine headliner). That is what gives the wall the soft, warm feel. The rat fur is hydrophobic, which makes it easy to keep clean.

When hooked up to a Tacoma, the total length of the combination is exactly the same for a 16 and 19, so it should cost the same on any ferry that charges by length.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:28 AM   #67

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
The Scamp walls have Reflectix insulation (air bubble stuff) and what the experts here refer to as "rat fur" (marine headliner). That is what gives the wall the soft, warm feel. The rat fur is hydrophobic, which makes it easy to keep clean.

When hooked up to a Tacoma, the total length of the combination is exactly the same for a 16 and 19, so it should cost the same on any ferry that charges by length.
I must be dumb but that does not make sense. Is the 16 measured in feet? And the 19 in feet? Seems the latter would be three feet longer. What is wrong with my thinking? And just for the record, I began my FG search with the Scamp 13, morphed into the 16 (plan 6) and then discovered the Ollie and my life changed. Or my wife did. I need more pics for the Scamp 16 and more info. Where to find?
Old 06-02-2017, 10:41 AM   #68

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The Scamp 19 is a fifth wheel style, and Paul's comment had to do with total rig length- trailer and tug. Truck plus 16' bumper pull is about the same total length as truck plus 19' fifth wheel.

Have you visited the Scamp website? They have pictures and a video.

If you are looking at Scamps and your wife is looking at Olivers, it seems like you have some work ahead... Getting a look at some first hand would be a start.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:46 AM   #69

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Towing my 5.0TA with my truck, I'm within mere inches of the same total length as when I towed my 16' Scamp bumper pull with the same truck. The BIG difference is I now have 20 feet of interior length space, versus 13 feet and the 5.0TA is 10 inches wider. In comparison, my Escape feels huge... but, it's really not.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:29 AM   #70

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
If I could find a trailer with the necessary layout, with an all-fiberglass interior (including cabinets) and only have to change out the doors, and with fabric choices I could live with for the furniture and beds, I would be thrilled. Ideas?
Just for giggles, here's something different.

Or, as Rocky the flying squirrel used to say, "and now here's something we hope you'll really like!"

It's not fiberglass, but has Euro-style cabinetry and finishes. If you click on the left menu items on the first link below, you can see some additional interior photos.

https://www.eriba.com/en/models/cara...ng/highlights/

You are being redirected...

This is something that they are going to build in Canada from an established European design. There will be some delay as they secure North American approvals for various aspects of the designs.

These are pop-tops, but an interview I read a week or so back indicated they are going to come up with a hard shell roof for the American market. The new 250,000 sq ft factory was under construction as of last September, so they sound committed to the project.

By the way, I think searching the Internet for Hymer gave more relevant results than looking for Eriba.
Attached Thumbnails
Hymer 2016rvia-1-1024x681.jpg   Hymer 2016rvia-27.jpg  

Old 06-02-2017, 12:42 PM   #71

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The Scamp 19 is a fifth wheel style, and Paul's comment had to do with total rig length- trailer and tug. Truck plus 16' bumper pull is about the same total length as truck plus 19' fifth wheel.

Have you visited the Scamp website? They have pictures and a video.

If you are looking at Scamps and your wife is looking at Olivers, it seems like you have some work ahead... Getting a look at some first hand would be a start.
Ahh, now that makes sense. Thanks. I like the Oliver too, but considering everything.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:01 PM   #72

Florida
Too much wood. Fiberglass will most likely win out. But thanks.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:20 PM   #73

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Too much wood. Fiberglass will most likely win out. But thanks.
Huh. My wife really likes wood.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:22 PM   #74

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Deciding on a trailer is an interesting journey. I love hearing the "whys" and "whatnots" how people come to a conclusion. There is the "best" trailer for everyone... just need to decide what that is. For instance, Scamp is mostly fiberglass on the inside, but some folks are willing to pay more for all wood. Others love the shiny, all fiberglass walls of some builds.. while others say, that would be like camping/sleeping inside a refrigerator.. too sterile. For me, it was all about layout. I needed a comfortable place to sleep and a comfortable place to sit inside during long damp days/nights. I got it!

May everyone find theirs too
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:38 PM   #75

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I will also suggest taking a look at Parkliner. Their new model has a sleek, all-molded interior and retro-styled shape that might appease your wife. It's only 15-16' long, so it should be an easy tow with your Taco, but it manages to pack in a queen-sized bed, separate dinette, wet bath, and 6'5" of interior headroom.
Quote:
The interior I saw she does not like. Now that she has seen the mirrored or smoke-colored glass doors on the Oliver she knows she doesn't want wood. Are you saying the wood doors are gone now on the new model?
This is the updated model. Don't know if this is what you were looking at. The only wood components are the maple cabinet doors. Oliver is the only manufacturer offering mirrored or smoked glass cabinet doors, so unless you want to do an upgrade yourself, Oliver is it.
ParkLiner Introduces Longer 16-Foot Model: Designed to Give You Peace of Mind! – ParkLiner
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:24 PM   #76

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
parkliner layout....

that parkliner layout is genius in my opinion....and gives you lots of different ways to use the trailer....for a couple or a single camper

that screen door is an improvement over the same in most trailers and the closet behind the screen door is a great idea...(anytime you can make something do double duty in a small space you're "gaining"....kudos for the trapezoid (?) shape of the wet bath....I really like wet baths in trailers...I wish mine was shaped like that

kitchen "unit" is a bit on the small side...but hey, you can't have everything...where would you put it
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:10 PM   #77

Florida
Casita

I watched a couple Casita youtube videos today and it looks like a nice trailer. I might be able to work with one of these, but my concern is with the carpet on the walls. I know I cannot expect Oliver quality with these so-called lesser units, but I am a bit adverse to having carpet on my walls as insulation. Seems a little bit tacky to me, respectfully saying, that is. No offense to any casita owners out there. Just want to know why and how it is accepted by others in the normal course of an overnight stay.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:12 PM   #78

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
that parkliner layout is genius in my opinion....and gives you lots of different ways to use the trailer....for a couple or a single camper

that screen door is an improvement over the same in most trailers and the closet behind the screen door is a great idea...(anytime you can make something do double duty in a small space you're "gaining"....kudos for the trapezoid (?) shape of the wet bath....I really like wet baths in trailers...I wish mine was shaped like that

kitchen "unit" is a bit on the small side...but hey, you can't have everything...where would you put it
My wife and I watched a Parkliner video today on youtube and weren't feeling the love for this trailer. It looks like a good one, but just didn't feel right to us.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:38 PM   #79

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
I watched a couple Casita youtube videos today and it looks like a nice trailer. I might be able to work with one of these, but my concern is with the carpet on the walls. I know I cannot expect Oliver quality with these so-called lesser units, but I am a bit adverse to having carpet on my walls as insulation. Seems a little bit tacky to me, respectfully saying, that is. No offense to any casita owners out there. Just want to know why and how it is accepted by others in the normal course of an overnight stay.
Basically, the alternative is to sleep in the rain forest exhibit. Molded fiberglass is like the hull of a fiberglass boat. It's not very thick, has little insulation value, and water vapor condenses on it readily. So, the carpet and rat fur linings beat the alternative. And, yes, they are put up with a tacky adhesive.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:39 PM   #80

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
It is accepted because that's how they make them. People who buy Olivers accept the hospital like interior because that's how they make them. People accept the Scamp rat fur for the same reason. With Escape, people accept the wood interior. The only choice is to buy a different brand.

My personal choice is carpet is the worst, tends to hold water and dry slowly. Wood is next. The Scamp rat fur/fiberglass I would rate second best and the Oliver is the best. But then add floor plan. In our case Casita and Oliver are the worst. Escape is the best. Then add cost.

If I could have a choice, give me Oliver construction + Escape floor plan + Scamp price = perfect!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper, oliver, scamp 16, t@b