What trailer to buy? - Page 15 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2017, 07:24 AM   #281
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Some have posted dryrot. You can get a non wood floor in Livin' Lite, Oliver, Happier Camper, Snoozy, Parkliner, airstream Nest, and armadillotrialers.net

You can hand flush with a jug of RV antifreeze Lynn, and not use the 12V water pump.
Which trailer is that a picture of, Ken? I'm almost positive it's not a Casita...
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:13 AM   #282

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
As far as Casita's having rotten floors, ALL campers with any kind of wood floor WILL rot if you don't catch leaks.
Not if the floor is encased, and your design allows water to drain without affecting the floor. The material used for the floor isn't really the problem (except perhaps when a manufacturer uses cheap OSB in an RV), the design is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
I looked at a three year old 13' Deluxe Scamp this spring that looked like it was at least 20 years old. You could see where water had sat in numerous places. That's not Scamps fault, that's the owners.
Not exactly. Why would a trailer that is only 3 years old leak like that? Design and build quality DO enter the picture, and that's on the manufacturer -unless the owners didn't care at all and left the windows open in the rain or something like that.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:44 AM   #283

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Why would a trailer that is only 3 years old leak like that? Design and build quality DO enter the picture, and that's on the manufacturer -unless the owners didn't care at all and left the windows open in the rain or something like that.
One winter without winterization plus ignore leaks = floor damage. I have friends who have never winterized their trailer because it doesn't have a fresh water tank. Well it still has a sink and p trap and it has a city water connection to the sink faucet. All of that freezes if not winterized. Needless to say they now have issues.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:49 AM   #284

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
One winter without winterization plus ignore leaks = floor damage. I have friends who have never winterized their trailer because it doesn't have a fresh water tank. Well it still has a sink and p trap and it has a city water connection to the sink faucet. All of that freezes if not winterized. Needless to say they now have issues.
Right, but that's a case of obvious neglect. My comment was more along the lines that there should be no reason why a relatively new trailer should leak.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:00 AM   #285

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I would disagree somewhat, Robert. Fully encased floors can rot. Screw holes, cracks, and other openings can create openings for water to enter. Once in, there's no way out. I have seen threads in which owners of fully encased floors had to deal with rotten plywood or OSB inside.

For the most part these are older trailers, so I'd say encasing does in general make the floor less vulnerable to short-term exposure to water, such as a burst pipe or unexpected leak. However it can also hide long-term exposure so that by the time you detect a soft spot, the wood inside is mush. Once it gets that far, repair of a fully encased floor is more complex. And, of course, it adds weight and cost.

Bottom line... no design is perfect. I'll venture to say that's true even of those that have no wood at all. They are all fairly new designs, so whatever issues might afflict Olivers, Happier Campers, etc. won't be known for another 20-30 years.

As to a 3-year-old Scamp with water damage, there is not enough information here to assign blame. Sad, though. Sometimes life happens- illness, death, job change- and a trailer just sits for a number of years. Scary how fast any man-made object falls apart when unattended and uncared for.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:22 AM   #286
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Right, but that's a case of obvious neglect. My comment was more along the lines that there should be no reason why a relatively new trailer should leak.
Ain't that the truth. Unfortunately my new Trillium leaked at the belly band. Poor craftsmanship sealing the seam. Repair was an adventure . My encased floor is still intact so I can only assume none of the water got in there. Because it is encased there is no way to dry it out. In the storage holds where the plywood is exposed I recently removed the plastic mats after finding dampness underneath.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:34 AM   #287

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
Perry, how in the world can you camp in a Casita in sub-freezing weather without the pipes and tanks freezing? It's not an all-season trailer. Or do you winterize and then not use the Casita's plumbing
Your answer was in your last sentence. Our Scamp was winterized and our 2007 Spirit SD Casita had no fresh, grey or black tanks, or heater (we carried a 1500W oil heater). You'd be surprised at the number of campers who camp until they close the campgrounds because they don't plow the snow in winter.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:49 AM   #288

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Not if the floor is encased, and your design allows water to drain without affecting the floor. The material used for the floor isn't really the problem (except perhaps when a manufacturer uses cheap OSB in an RV), the design is.

Not exactly. Why would a trailer that is only 3 years old leak like that? Design and build quality DO enter the picture, and that's on the manufacturer -unless the owners didn't care at all and left the windows open in the rain or something like that.
The Scamp Deluxe had a sink drain leak that I temporarily fixed by merely grabbing the nut and tightening, and the toilet had a pipe that dripped but appeared to be tight, plus it looked like the vent was left open. All campers can vibrate and cause leaks. NONE are immune from those problems, even Olivers, for example. I've never been so lucky as to buy a new camper, and over 30 years of used I've learned to check each fitting every year. I've seen many leaky sink drains.

While I agree there are some poor designs, the major problem is lack of upkeep by the owners. Show me a 100% correctly designed and assembled camper and we'll finally buy our first new camper.

Quote:
Read my last sentence above.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:56 AM   #289

Arkansas
Registry
Perry, I think we are saying the same thing in a different way. I'm talking about manufacturing defects or bad design - not things that can break or leak over time due to lack of maintenance.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:27 PM   #290

Name: tony
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB
British Columbia
Go Big or go home ...I mean Bigfoot

we all have biases and those that say they don't have any are trying to sell you something. We've enjoyed the Bigfoot trailer first as the 17.5' single axle and now the 21' dual axle. The small 17.5 is solid, its large, it tows well (if you have a proper TV and I'm confident the Sprinter you have will do it). The only negative was the couch bed. I had to climb over my wife for my nightly trip to the can. Then grandkids started showing up like four of them. So we moved up to a 21'. These are built in British Columbia and with the US dollar still strong you can pick a good used one if you can find one. We sold the 17.5' to folks who were looking for 2 years. Check out their dealers in BC. The re-sale value is amazing on a well kept Bigfoot. The dealer in Abbotsford BC on the border with Sumas WA is Getaway RV and they seem to have good inventory of new ones. Not cheap but I say buy quality and cry once!
ninklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:43 PM   #291

Name: E.
Trailer: In the market.
n/a
Fiberglass under freezing conditions

...In the continuation of the topic about using Scamp under low temperature conditions...
How fiberglass is "doing" if it is -35C and even lower (I am from Canada) - it is not cracking?
Thank you in advance for answers. :-)
esky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:51 AM   #292

Name: Michael
Trailer: Oliver Travel Trailer
Florida
After veering off for the summer and looking at T@B's, the LGMax, and then a 16' Airstream Sport we are back with the 18.5' Oliver. Seems the only trailer that will perform to our needs. We watched a youtube video starring the couple with the LEII and George was complaining a little bit about the Andersen No-Sway Hitch system. He says it is very hard to hook up to if the TV and trailer are not perfectly aligned. He does not think he even needs it now that they have logged so many miles. Anyone have any advice to share?

Also, what about the inverter? I understand they are very important to have. True?

What about the factory solar package vs a mobile one? Some sales consultants believe having a mobile solar suitcase is better so you can park your trailer in the shade.

My brother wants me to get a Netgear WiFi extender N600 in lieu of Oliver's WiFi booster. What do you think?

Any other helpful experiences you can share with us would be appreciated. Getting ready to pull the trigger.
roguebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:19 AM   #293

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
rogue,

There has been a lot of discussion about the Anderson hitch. I got one as part of the deal with my used Oliver LE2, but have never used it.
It seems people just assume they need one and so they order it with their new trailer and then they find out it is a hassle, has some design problems and can even cause instability.
I have never heard of anyone having stability problems with an Oliver while towing without a sway control system. They are extremely stable. Meanwhile, Anderson has been replacing the friction piece over and over but can't get it right.

My trailer did not have the inverter option, but I like them and will be installing one. In the mean time, I use the small inverter in my truck to charge my computer and phone, or I have a cigarette lighter inverter that does the same thing in the trailer and can run a DVD player too. A large one that can run a power tool or the microwave is very handy.

I personally don't like the rooftop factory solar. It needs to be kept clean, the orientation is never quite right, it adds more weight and wind resistance aloft and it requires parking in the sun.

Don't know how much value you'd get from a WIfi booster, but a cell booster seems like a good idea. I wish mine had one and I'm looking into it.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:10 AM   #294

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
rogue,

There has been a lot of discussion about the Anderson hitch. I got one as part of the deal with my used Oliver LE2, but have never used it.
It seems people just assume they need one and so they order it with their new trailer and then they find out it is a hassle, has some design problems and can even cause instability.
I have never heard of anyone having stability problems with an Oliver while towing without a sway control system. They are extremely stable. Meanwhile, Anderson has been replacing the friction piece over and over but can't get it right.

My trailer did not have the inverter option, but I like them and will be installing one. In the mean time, I use the small inverter in my truck to charge my computer and phone, or I have a cigarette lighter inverter that does the same thing in the trailer and can run a DVD player too. A large one that can run a power tool or the microwave is very handy.

I personally don't like the rooftop factory solar. It needs to be kept clean, the orientation is never quite right, it adds more weight and wind resistance aloft and it requires parking in the sun.

Don't know how much value you'd get from a WIfi booster, but a cell booster seems like a good idea. I wish mine had one and I'm looking into it.
Definitely gonna do the inverter, cancel the WiFi booster, and cancel the rooftop solar based on your suggestion and this sales consultant for Airstream who made complete sense to me when talking about the advantages of a solar suitcase. If I can add an Andersen no-sway hitch later then perhaps I will try first without one. You are a big help. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:06 PM   #295

Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebooks View Post
After veering off for the summer and looking at T@B's, the LGMax, and then a 16' Airstream Sport we are back with the 18.5' Oliver. Seems the only trailer that will perform to our needs. We watched a youtube video starring the couple with the LEII and George was complaining a little bit about the Andersen No-Sway Hitch system. He says it is very hard to hook up to if the TV and trailer are not perfectly aligned. He does not think he even needs it now that they have logged so many miles. Anyone have any advice to share?

Also, what about the inverter? I understand they are very important to have. True?

What about the factory solar package vs a mobile one? Some sales consultants believe having a mobile solar suitcase is better so you can park your trailer in the shade.

My brother wants me to get a Netgear WiFi extender N600 in lieu of Oliver's WiFi booster. What do you think?

Any other helpful experiences you can share with us would be appreciated. Getting ready to pull the trigger.
I'm glad I'm not the only one having difficulties with the big decision! It seems that every fiberglass trailer I like would necessitate my making some mods in my garage door. I live in a neighborhood with a HOA so can't leave a trailer in the driveway. The door is only 7' tall and I'd have to spend that much more money to increase the height! Don't mean to get off the topic but...I saw a Safari Alto, with a roof that can be raised and lowered, yesterday. It's not fiberglass but it will fit in my garage and it seems perfect for me. I'll take a few more weeks to think about it but the Alto may be the one.
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:46 PM   #296

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
That 'Alto' is pretty cool. Can you get in and use it when the roof is down? We've found that awfully handy for stops on the road, just for lunch or a nap.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:06 PM   #297

Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
That 'Alto' is pretty cool. Can you get in and use it when the roof is down? We've found that awfully handy for stops on the road, just for lunch or a nap.

/Mr Lynn
Yes, as long as you can either stand up or stoop. You can sleep, have coffee, take a little break! However, it's as easy as a car's convertible top to raise. It's a cross between a teardrop and a small Airstream (but no rivets!). Really nice.
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:20 PM   #298

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebooks View Post
If I can add an Andersen no-sway hitch later then perhaps I will try first without one. You are a big help. Thanks.
The Anderson hitch can be added anytime. No modifications are needed.
What is your tow vehicle?
Old 09-19-2017, 03:48 AM   #299

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
The Anderson hitch can be added anytime. No modifications are needed.
What is your tow vehicle?
Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
Old 09-19-2017, 04:31 PM   #300

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernese Bunch View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one having difficulties with the big decision! It seems that every fiberglass trailer I like would necessitate my making some mods in my garage door. I live in a neighborhood with a HOA so can't leave a trailer in the driveway. The door is only 7' tall and I'd have to spend that much more money to increase the height!
You've probably already checked on yours, but my first reaction on hearing that someone can't park a trailer in their driveway because of an HOA and instead will raise the height of their garage door is to wonder if that modification to the exterior of the house would be permitted in that HOA. When they start writing "appearance code" they can get fussy.
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper, oliver, scamp 16, t@b