Wheel bearing questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-14-2020, 10:50 AM   #1

Name: Joe
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Wheel bearing questions

Have a 16’ Scamp wondering how often wheel bearings need grease?
How to lift trailer to do greasing?
Have grease zero on bearing, does grease ever need cleaning and repacking?
Lockmasterjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 11:21 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockmasterjoe View Post
Have a 16’ Scamp wondering how often wheel bearings need grease?
How to lift trailer to do greasing?
Have grease zero on bearing, does grease ever need cleaning and repacking?
If your Scamp is less than 20 years old or so it likely has EZ Lube spindles.
Go to the Dexter site for a good video on the proper way to use EZ lubes for repacking between disassembly..
How your trailer is used, how often, and how many miles per year under what conditions would determine how often grease or manually repack.

Generally, you should grease about once a year using EZLube and manually repack whenever you service or inspect the brakes.

The grease in your hubs is adequately displaced and removed when following the EZ Lube procedure, and completely replaced when manually repacked.
Almost all grease today is lithium based and it is important to consistently use a compatible grease of the same type (not necessarily same brand or color)

Be sure that your trailer is on a firm reasonably level surface and chock the opposite wheel and the tongue jack if it has a wheel then...
An ordinary jack can be used to lift the trailer, placing it on the frame just aft of the axle. If you plan to get under the trailer or remove the wheel, it would be wise to add a jackstand and/or drop your stabilizers while performing this work.
Avoid placing your hands on the tire tread from the 9 o'clock to the 3 o'clock position as that could cause injury should the jack slip.

Check your hub and tread temperature at fuel stops and keep your tire pressure up.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 11:50 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Dexter recommends re-packing bearings at 12,000 miles or annually. This seems excessive, but if you do it a couple of times in that interval you can begin to see if it is way too often or not and adjust the frequency. Each re-pack should or must include new seals.

If you recently bought a used trailer, you may not have any idea when the bearings were serviced last, so it's a good idea to do them and get a fresh start. While there you can inspect the brakes. The brakes on my Oliver were about half gone, or slightly more in 20,000 miles, which could mean only two bearing service intervals. So, if you are not sure, do them.

While in there, if you see any sign of grease getting passed the seals, service the bearings and replace the seals. Grease on the brake shoes will mean they have to be replaced.

On trips, when stopping for fuel after a long stretch of highway, touch the hubs occasionally to see if one might be hot. Back at home, you can also jack up a wheel and check for bearing play by pulling and pushing on the top of the tire.
Old 03-15-2020, 03:44 AM   #4

Name: Rick
Minnesota
https://www.dexteraxle.com/resources...-z-lube-system
Rick In Mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:59 AM   #5

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
and/or Lippert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Mn View Post

LIPPERT SUPER LUBE AXLE

AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 10:02 AM   #6

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
and/or Lippert

Quote:

LIPPERT SUPER LUBE AXLE

The above videos are only for axles with a rubber plug covering a zerk. Bearing buddy caps are useless on anything but a boat trailer.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 01:02 PM   #7

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
It's cheaper to replace the Dexter axle with one with sealed bearings that require no service for 100,000 miles.
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 04:40 PM   #8

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
I'd be interested in seeing comments from anyone who has used the Nev-R-Lube on a small trailer. It's always annoyed me that while we don't have to be concerned about auto wheel bearings for well over 100,000 miles, trailer bearings still have to be messed with annually (more or less.) I'd like to think the Nev-R-Lube would be a solution but on another forum the person who is most experienced in working on Casitas has reservations. I wonder if the Dexter set up somehow falls short of what is used in autos. Maybe smaller or less well sealed? I have no idea but I'm curious.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 05:18 PM   #9

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Lightbulb Dexter Delectable

The only reason Dexter supplies junk for bearings is because trailer builders insist. Demand better and they will supply 100,000 mile sealed bearings in all but the smallest sizes. Sealed bearings pay for and entire new axle and then some over time in maintenance cost savings, not to mention the inconvenience of trying to shag a lube job on the road every 12,500 miles.
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:05 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
I'd be interested in seeing comments from anyone who has used the Nev-R-Lube on a small trailer. It's always annoyed me that while we don't have to be concerned about auto wheel bearings for well over 100,000 miles, trailer bearings still have to be messed with annually (more or less.) I'd like to think the Nev-R-Lube would be a solution but on another forum the person who is most experienced in working on Casitas has reservations. I wonder if the Dexter set up somehow falls short of what is used in autos. Maybe smaller or less well sealed? I have no idea but I'm curious.
There were no sealed bearings on the steering axle on my2001 Ranger and no need to RePack them except when servicing the brakes.
Did it at 100,000 miles, sold it at 190,000.
My 1995 Mustang and my Pinto are 25 and 40 years old respectively and have had the same service schedule without bearing failure.
These spindle designs are similar to a Dexter 3500 pound axle.

I have changed dozens of sealed hub bearings on the steering axles of light trucks and front and rear on FWD cars during that time.

The issue with trailers is long term outdoor storage without common use.
Trailers which are towed regularly develop fewer problems since they are brought to temperature and lubricated regularly.
Old 03-15-2020, 07:11 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Pretty much says it all!
Old 03-16-2020, 12:41 PM   #12

Name: rick
Trailer: Escape 17B
Colorado
Since 2004, I have been using the EZLube procedure each spring and having the hubs repacked whenever I have a new set of tires mounted. I also have the brakes checked at new tire mounting time. Has worked well for me.
rick in arvada is offline   Reply With Quote