Who's in my neighborhood ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #1

Name: Jay Marlette
Trailer: 1976 Scamp
California
Who's in my neighborhood ?

This metro city boy scored a gutted out 13 foot 1976 Scamp from a polite young redneck in Napa. I dragged it home and only got pulled over once by nice (and really cute) police woman who shared my enthusiasm for restoring this trailer and let me go on a warning (running lights out). I got it home to Albany, CA (near Berkeley and across the bay from San Francisco). I'm really enjoying the learning process of fiber glass repair and window restoration but I'm mostly looking forward to rebuilding the inside to look like a gypsy trailer (see my new album). I don't want to completely reinvent the wheel and I am wondering if there is a 13 foot Scamp owner in my neighborhood who would allow me to take measurements and pictures.

The attached photos are the several patches and the wall of inspiration where I am getting my Gypsy installation ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
PB270093.jpg   PB260087.jpg  

PB260070.jpg  
Jay Marlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Welcome and WOW

When I first saw your picture, I thought your egg was painted in desert camo!
It sounds like you have some interesting and unique plans for your egg. Keep us informed with pictures! If you don't know, the people on this site love pictures.

Welcome to FGRV and good luck in your project.

If you need any inspiration here is a good site:

Photo Gallery

They have some unusually painted rigs.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #3

California
Taking lots of pictures

Right on. The photo gallery is very inspirational. It just reminded me that I need to score some rear stabilizers. Today, I'm draining the water logged door and getting paint off the hinges (Crock Pot method).

I don't think I'm going to stick to the camo theme. Ideally I'll build an ecto-skeleton for an awning and a gypsy style roof.

Jay
Attached Thumbnails
PB290098.jpg   PB290097.jpg  

Old 11-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #4

Name: Linda
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
California
Registry
Hi Jay,
We are in San Francisco and are, coincidentally, doing the inside of our trailer up kind of like a gypsy vardo. We have everything, but can't put it in until we replace the leaking windows--the new ones should arrive in a couple of weeks. We're leaving the exterior as is, though, just doing the interior. Good luck, and thanks for the pictures.
Lindl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Both of you provide pix as you work please. It will be fun and informational as you work.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #6

California
Pics will keep coming

Hi Lindl,

I know what you mean. I'm dying to do the inside but that whole pesky water intrusion issue needs to be dealt with first. I'm also waiting for the delivery of window parts to seal that up. In the meantime I'll be filling in holes, correcting the door and so on.

I'm enjoying shopping for the Gypsy thing. At the Treasure Island Flea market I scored a lantern that I am going to make into an LED flashlight. I'm looking for antiques that are useful. For example, my wall decoration will ornate metal plates and bowls but they will be used for camping. Also a pick of a folding table base to make the bed/table set up.

Posted are some pics I use for artistic inspiration and the gypsy treasure collection.

Jay

P.S. CyndyL will enjoy posting pics as I go.
Attached Thumbnails
6a00e5538b84f38833010535c2fe96970c-800wi.jpg   gypsy-caravan-interior.jpg  

6a00e5538b84f38833010535bc6de8970b.jpg   PB270096.jpg  

PB270095.jpg  
Old 11-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
What is the frame for?

Are you making a door in the back?

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #8

California
The Frame

The frame is a snazzy piece of hardware that allows me to build a table that will easily flatten into a bed. My previous tent trailer required more prep to turn a table into a bed so I'm treating my self to this little extravagance on this project.

Jay
Attached Thumbnails
PB270094.jpg  
Old 11-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #9

Name: Linda
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
California
Registry
Nice pictures, thanks! You are much more ambitious than we are--all we're going to do, basically, is have some colorful fabrics and a little wallpaper. We just use paper plates, and I won't wash dishes for the sake of interior decor, much too lazy. I am looking forward to seeing your progress! I will post pictures too as soon as we make some progress. With this rain, we're getting nowhere at the moment.
Lindl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:45 PM   #10

California
Careful Lindl, you sound like me when I started.