Yes, I'm Egg-cited - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2014, 11:04 PM   #1

Name: Pineapple Man
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Ohio
Yes, I'm Egg-cited

Hello to everyone. After having a tent, slide-in and pop-up over the years, we will soon be picking up our first egg, a 2011 Scamp 13' w/ bath.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:12 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Hello Pineapple,
Welcome to the forum & congrats on your impending purchase. If you're on Facebook there are also Scamp owner pages that you might find interesting. Also this one: SOI Scamp Travel Trailer | Events | Forum | Resources | Scamp Owners International
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:52 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Welcome to FGRV

There are many former tenters here.

We are one of them:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_1337.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	436.9 KB
ID:	79399

Before

Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDA0620.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	420.8 KB
ID:	79400

After

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:31 AM   #4

Name: LucyKay
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Roger CH. (Off topic) Just curious, how did the Buffalo Plaid Brigade come about? Is it in reference to your favorite shirt or an actual group?
KayD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:26 AM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Hello to "Pineapple Man" from the "book man" (what my customers call me). Congrats on finally getting your bed off the ground and into a hard-sided home on wheels. You will love it.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:59 PM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Pineapple Man, welcome to the FGRV forum family, and congratulations on your purchase of the Scamp. If you keep your belongings as you would if you were a backpacker, you'll have plenty of room, be organized, and be able to keep the weight down in the trailer. There are plenty of postings here to help keep everything arranged for ease of use, and optimal use of space.
Happy Trails
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:44 PM   #7

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome Pineapple to the FGRV forum and on your new purchase.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:30 PM   #8

Oklahoma
Perhaps Roger is descended from the MacGregors? It is said to have been their clan's color scheme.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:02 AM   #9

Name: Kenny
Trailer: 16' Standard
Ohio
Registry
Pineapples

I've never seen pineapples grown in Ohio, interested in how you got your handle?
Kenny in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:18 AM   #10

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Congrats on the Scamp.
Do be aware that front bath Scamps can get a little (actually a lot) heavy on the hitch. Be sure you know your weights and weight limits.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:14 PM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Congrats on the Scamp.
Do be aware that front bath Scamps can get a little (actually a lot) heavy on the hitch. Be sure you know your weights and weight limits.
My Scamp13D has 240# of tongue weight with a bike rack, two bikes, a 27 battery and a full propane tank.
This includes a full closet, small microwave and a charged toilet.
It would be less with a full fresh water tank and cargo under the benches.

Of course that might seem high when compared to a "Hunter Compact" which is rear entry. When empty it can come out from under you like stepping on the back of a skateboard if you forget the rear outriggers before stepping up!
One of the ones I bought had no battery or propane tank so I had to stop and buy four concrete blocks for tongue weight to tame it for the ride home!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:19 PM   #12

Name: Herman & Ann
Trailer: Casita SD
Pensacola Florida
Welcome Pineapple Man if you want to get out of the cold up there come on down to North Florida it's beautiful in the winter but could be called something else in the summer. I know you will love your new camper I remember when we left the ground fo the inside, haven't wanted to go back.
Herman M Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:45 PM   #13

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Scamp tongue weight

We have also owned a 13' Scamp w/front loo, and tongue weight, with the normal "Stuff" in the bathroom and front closet. could tip 250 lbs, about 80 lbs more tongue weight than the 13' Lil BigFoot that replaced it.

I only mention this as a heads up because it is a lot heavier than a comparable 13' without bath, and much, much heavier than mfgs. posted weights for the 13' w/bath. And adding a shower will add a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
My Scamp13D has 240# of tongue weight with a bike rack, two bikes, a 27 battery and a full propane tank.
This includes a full closet, small microwave and a charged toilet.
It would be less with a full fresh water tank and cargo under the benches.

Of course that might seem high when compared to a "Hunter Compact" which is rear entry. When empty it can come out from under you like stepping on the back of a skateboard if you forget the rear outriggers before stepping up!
One of the ones I bought had no battery or propane tank so I had to stop and buy four concrete blocks for tongue weight to tame it for the ride home!

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:31 AM   #14

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
Gee, pineapple man, it won't be long before it is time to sign up for the Ohio Rally. You should keep your eyes peeled, for all the info to be forthcoming.

It would be great to see your "new" Scamp there. terry r.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:47 PM   #15

Ohio
Handle Anwer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny in Ohio View Post
I've never seen pineapples grown in Ohio, interested in how you got your handle?
Hi Kenny !
I play a ukulele (as a tribute to my late father and grandmother- He was a musician, she was a Pacific Islander). It's body is pineapple shaped 0 while most ukulele bodies are ipu/figure-eight 8 shaped. Everyone started calling me the Pineapple Man. How I ended up here is another story....
Old 01-01-2015, 10:55 PM   #16

Ohio
FL Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman M Parker View Post
Welcome Pineapple Man if you want to get out of the cold up there come on down to North Florida it's beautiful in the winter but could be called something else in the summer. I know you will love your new camper I remember when we left the ground fo the inside, haven't wanted to go back.
Hi Herman !
Believe me, we'd love to be down there right now !! Actually, we're planning on moving there when my wife retires, as her family is in FL and we've already bought land there. It's one reason we bought our Scamp. Would like to visit more until that time comes.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:56 PM   #17

Ohio
Sounds great Terry !
Old 01-01-2015, 11:06 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Buffalo Plaid Brigade

When I worked, I had to walk into work from the parking lot about ˝ mile. In the PNW it is known to rain. Because I wore glasses, I wanted a warm cap with a visor. My kids got me one like my avatar. I wore it at Taidnapam and initially received teasing about the cap, but then other people started discovering how practical they were and so we have several people who wear buffalo plaid now and we have come to be known as the BPB!

The BPB group picture is at 6:54. I take imitation as the sincerest form of flattery!

The plaid is indeed one of the plaids of the MacGregor's but was also popular for hunting in the dark ages when one had to wear red. Well since then fluorescent orange became de rigor but buffalo plaid had become entrenched as hunting clothing.

BTW I am not Scottish. Ich bin Deutscher Erbe.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:32 AM   #19

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
The plaid is indeed one of the plaids of the MacGregor's but was also popular for hunting in the dark ages when one had to wear red. Well since then fluorescent orange became de rigor but buffalo plaid had become entrenched as hunting clothing.
Roger, I remember when we switched from red to orange in MI. I'm old school and hunt in the Upper Peninsula. We seldom see other hunters, and almost never see Game Wardens. Here's my hat of choice. Good ol' Stormy Kromer made in the U.P. The bird is a Gray Jay, but known to locals as a Whiskey Jack.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00278.jpg  
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:43 PM   #20

Oklahoma
Thanks for telling us the story, Roger! I like the red and black buffalo plaid myself, but have no such hat. Only shirts, bathrobe, and pajama pants. Not sure if those qualify me for the BPB.