1988 Scamp 16’ Value - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-19-2021, 10:54 AM   #1

Name: Jon
Trailer: In the market
Oregon
1988 Scamp 16’ Value

Hi, I’m new to the forum and am potentially going to purchase a 1988 Scamp 16 with layout 4 (bunks and wet bath). It looks to be in good condition for the year, but I’m a little concerned that I’ll have to pay more to maintain an older camper like this. I’m not really a collector so I wasn’t necessarily looking for such an old one, but it has the perfect layout. The price is $13.5k. Is this a little high? Does anyone have an idea of if I keep it well maintained it could hold its value over the next 5-10yrs?

The seller posted this video of it.

I think with COVID and the fact that Scamp is on back order for a year and a half it seems like prices are a little inflated right now. Do you think a 1988 is still worth that much?

Thank you!
Cascade Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 09:47 AM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
No key?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascade Jon View Post
Hi, I’m new to the forum and am potentially going to purchase a 1988 Scamp 16 with layout 4 (bunks and wet bath).
Thank you!

No problem. Most scamps use a 112 key so changing the lock when you get it would be good. It’s just a garage door lock. About 12$ at your local hardware store. Is that an UNVENTED, non working, heater? The side mounted A/C is good because it keeps the height down. From what I see in the video, the axle still looks good.
Get under it and check the floor and frame. Frame surface rust is OK but not heavy pitting or cracks. Poke the floor with a screwdriver, it needs to be solid, no soft spots. Yes, the price would be high for my area, but it is worth what ever someone will pay for it and prices are currently running high. In my area I'd want it for half that but I live in the upper mid-west near the hatchery. Just transporting one from Backus to the west coast could add 1500$.
Attached Thumbnails
scamp key.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:14 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Based on the fiberglass RV 4 sale site, looking at sold listings, that price for a 1988 is high.

For a reference, a 2008 16 footer in Gig Harbor sold earlier this month for about that price. 20 years newer...And a lot cleaner. With roof AC.

With a 1988, appliances, axle, and more are likely 33 years old.

The more you pay, the less likely it will maintain value at that price level. But FG trailers in general hold value well. Store it indoors: carport or garage. NW weather can be brutal on any RV.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 02:37 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: In the market
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
Yes, the price would be high for my area, but it is worth what ever someone will pay for it and prices are currently running high. In my area I'd want it for half that but I live in the upper mid-west near the hatchery. Just transporting one from Backus to the west coast could add 1500$.
Thanks, AC0GV! I'm learning that the prices for FG campers run pretty high here in the PNW. I have family in northern MN not far from the hatchery, so I have my eyes out for a 16' in that area too. I am not in a huge hurry, so imagine that if I wait until the fall or winter I will be able to find something for a lower price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
But FG trailers in general hold value well. Store it indoors: carport or garage. NW weather can be brutal on any RV.
Thanks, thrifty bill. Yeah, I decided to not drive the four hours (oneway) to go look at the camper last weekend. Even in light of the current surge in prices, that seemed high. Especially for the year. Thanks for the advice on dry storage. I plan on making a carport next to our house for storage once I get a camper. We get A LOT of rain here in the PNW.
Cascade Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:18 PM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Yes, we used to live in Enumclaw. Storing anything outside was a bad idea.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp