A Trillium with no title - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2009, 03:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 1983 Burro 13 ft
Unhappy

Has anyone out there bought a trailer without a title? I found a 13' Trillium that had been used as living quarters (stationary) and the resident ran an extension cord in through a window for shore power. The cord was either faulty or overloaded....or so the story goes. The end result was a low-intensity, smoldering fire which pretty much ruined the interior smoke-wise. No exterior damage whatsoever and the interior FG has one very repairable damaged spot on the sofa frame, a couple broken windows and filth everywhere. Trillium is complete and undamaged except for the above, very towable...and very cheap! Catch is, the titled owner sold it to the present owner without a title (went up in smoke), and has left the area. The present owner is reluctant to pursue the seller for titlework and is selling as is. Tempting to find a salvage trailer and use that title. Opinions anyone?
The Trillium has rectangular taillights lying horizontally...like looking at the edge of a brick, and the windows are jalousie type. Does this help date it? I'm tempted to buy and remove the frame and set the body on my 6 x 10 Aluma utility trailer. Talk about a hybrid....or desperate! Can ya tell I'm a hillbilly?

Regards to all...
Mike in WV
Mike Shackelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
Mike - call your motor vehicle folks and explain the the title went up in the fire, and ask what to do. They PROBABLY have a form that the seller can complete.

If I read correct, the last titled owner sold it to the current owner/seller and the current owner/seller never re-registered or retitled it in their name. Correct? If that is the case, the State may simply have them (current owner/seller) fill out a form attesting to that fact. Dunno. Just random thoughts. But call your motor vehicle folks - I am SURE this has happened once or twice before and they can deal with it.

Best of luck.... Alan

Quote:
Has anyone out there bought a trailer without a title? I found a 13' Trillium that had been used as living quarters (stationary) and the resident ran an extension cord in through a window for shore power. The cord was either faulty or overloaded....or so the story goes. The end result was a low-intensity, smoldering fire which pretty much ruined the interior smoke-wise. No exterior damage whatsoever and the interior FG has one very repairable damaged spot on the sofa frame, a couple broken windows and filth everywhere. Trillium is complete and undamaged except for the above, very towable...and very cheap! Catch is, the titled owner sold it to the present owner without a title (went up in smoke), and has left the area. The present owner is reluctant to pursue the seller for titlework and is selling as is. Tempting to find a salvage trailer and use that title. Opinions anyone?
The Trillium has rectangular taillights lying horizontally...like looking at the edge of a brick, and the windows are jalousie type. Does this help date it? I'm tempted to buy and remove the frame and set the body on my 6 x 10 Aluma utility trailer. Talk about a hybrid....or desperate! Can ya tell I'm a hillbilly?

Regards to all...
Mike in WV
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 1983 Burro 13 ft
I contacted our DMV Alan, and their words were..."don't buy it." It seems that West Virginia is a stickler for paperwork up to snuff and they said that many folks have bought vehicles without titles only to find that they couldn't register them. I guess I'll either have to move or forget the Trillium. Oh, well....

Thanks for your input.
Mike
Mike Shackelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I would think that if it's been registered in the past, the paperwork is replaceable. can't believe a govt. agency won't take your money.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
You might see what it would take to title it as a "home-built" trailer. This seems to work in some states (North Carolina, for example).

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:21 AM   #6

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
You might try ITS I've heard they do a pretty reasonable job, but I haven't used them myself.
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:02 AM   #7

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
I would be interested to hear if any members have used this service. Any info on pricing too.
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Pricing is on the site - depending on the age it looks to be $150-200
http://www.its-titles.com/15price.htm
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:06 PM   #9

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
Holy Cow!!

I read the ITS stuff, and ... OK, I am an accountant, not a lawyer, but I **DO** read a lot of contracts and legal docs, and I pay particular attention to words... THIS sentence jumped out at me...

[b]We then send you the new current registration and license plates in your name. The license plates will be valid for a period of one year. In addition, you will have all the necessary documentation to legally title and/or register the vehicle in your State.

From reading that, here is how I think it works... they do NOT register and plate it in your home state. I bet that what they do is get a title and then register it in MAINE (see their Power of Attorney page). I think you will get Title / Registration / Plates for MAINE, but all in your name. THEN... "you WILL HAVE all the necessary documentation to legally title and/or register...in your State." (EMPHASIS ADDED). You will just be re-registering a trailer that you own that is fully registered in Maine into your home state.

Will it work? I have NO IDEA. But it SOUNDS good.

Quote:
I contacted our DMV Alan, and their words were..."don't buy it." It seems that West Virginia is a stickler for paperwork up to snuff and they said that many folks have bought vehicles without titles only to find that they couldn't register them. I guess I'll either have to move or forget the Trillium. Oh, well....

Thanks for your input.
Mike
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:40 PM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
Holy Cow!!

I read the ITS stuff, and ... OK, I am an accountant, not a lawyer, but I **DO** read a lot of contracts and legal docs, and I pay particular attention to words... THIS sentence jumped out at me...

[b]We then send you the new current registration and license plates in your name. The license plates will be valid for a period of one year. In addition, you will have all the necessary documentation to legally title and/or register the vehicle in your State.

From reading that, here is how I think it works... they do NOT register and plate it in your home state. I bet that what they do is get a title and then register it in MAINE (see their Power of Attorney page). I think you will get Title / Registration / Plates for MAINE, but all in your name. THEN... "you WILL HAVE all the necessary documentation to legally title and/or register...in your State." (EMPHASIS ADDED). You will just be re-registering a trailer that you own that is fully registered in Maine into your home state.

Will it work? I have NO IDEA. But it SOUNDS good.
Works in WA state on cars.... That's how we register street rods when a body that is pulled out of the desert or a 50's car is obtained w/o a valid title. Don't see why it wouldn't work on a trailer... It would be just like you bought the trailer in the other state and brought it in. Then you would have to have it inspected or however your state handles it. Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license, registration, title, trillium