Advice on Trillium for sale, please - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #21

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Hi, Louise! Looks like you're starting to educate yourself on eggs! Since there's not much in these simple little campers to cause issues, I've not worried so much about escape hatches (and for the other reasons stated in this thread). Seems like the best bet is to have all preventative safety measures in place such as a fire extinguisher, carbon monoxide detector and smoke alarm. You can also get propane detectors.
When I was shopping, I was looking (and willing to pay extra for) a unit that was fairly well maintained, and did not need a lot of repairs. IMO this one would be a 'pass' for myself, as a lady that camps alone and must do (or pay) for most of the repairs myself. But thatis my personal preference. This this type of ad is a great learning experience to understand what is out there and what the pitfalls might be.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #22

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by havingfunnow View Post
I am learning a lot. Thank you all! David, I really appreciate the extensive analysis.

I'm going to have to think carefully about windows/escape options, Carol. Maybe it would be possible to replace one old window with a new one that functions as a hatch. (I'm pretty sure you're right about kicking a window -- but the grandkids aren't old enough!)
I think an escape window/hatch is an absolute necessity in any trailer and wouldn't think of sleeping in one that lacked that second exit point.

As for the possibility that I'd allow my Grandchildren anywhere near such a unit...can anyone say "when donkeys fly"?

Especially in units with propane appliances, the most likely place for a fire is the kitchen and in most trailers that's between the door and the sleeping area. Passing through a propane fire in order to escape it is NOT the way to come out unscathed.

Francesca

P.S.

Per Trillium jalousie vs. escape window: I use my escape window for ventilation all the time!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cleared Camera 648.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	288.5 KB
ID:	54289

It's also most convenient for bug control, since any that get in seem to congregate on that big expanse of glass, and I just open it and sweep them out.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #23

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Its also possible to modify and install an escape window within reach (if the Scamp escape hatch is too difficult). Its not an impossible project, but will involve fiberglass work. Alternatively, you can check with custom window manufacturers because they might produce one to fit whatever camper you choose. I don't know which mfr has escape windows, so you may want to start a list of years/models to look for.
FYI, my UHaul has an escape window, but it’s not the easiest thing to work and involves pulling out a tab in the locking gasket, and then kicking or pushing the whole window out of the frame. Considering how hard it was to get the window INTO the frame when I changed it out... not sure how simple of an escape this is.

I’m sure that you’ve already started taking notes, Louise, and when the right camper comes along, you’ll be ready J
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #24

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
FYI, my UHaul has an escape window, but it’s not the easiest thing to work and involves pulling out a tab in the locking gasket, and then kicking or pushing the whole window out of the frame. Considering how hard it was to get the window INTO the frame when I changed it out... not sure how simple of an escape this is. .........
It is a lot easier to get out than to get in, particularly when pushing from inside. Plus, the flames give you an adrenaline rush.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:17 AM   #25
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
The Trillium went for $2915. Good luck to the new owner. Perhaps they are a member and we will get to see the renovation. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #26

Name: Louise
Trailer: 1985 UHaul
Michigan
I am learning -- and making lists, too! Thanks so much, everybody. I don't think I could have managed the repairs on that Trillium, but just hearing what everybody had to say about it has really taught me a lot. I think this will be the year!
havingfunnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #27

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by havingfunnow View Post
I think this will be the year!
Knowledge is power Louise. We're pulling for you.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium