"Amber Alert" for Stolen Trailers??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2011, 04:41 PM   #1

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Question "Amber Alert" for Stolen Trailers???

Hello, all

I started a thread recently asking folks what methods if any they use to secure their trailers against theft. Lots of useful ideas came in!
It got me to wondering, though- if the worst should happen, is there a way that the site could send out a "Stolen Trailer Alert" E-mail?
I know one could probably post a new thread, but an alert system would reach everybody right away- in what they call "the golden hours" immediately after the theft.
If everybody got a "keep your eyes peeled" E-mail, how far could a thief get with an egg before one or more of us spotted it? It seems to me that once you own one of these little trailers, every one on the road catches your eye...

Talk about a security system!

Any thoughts?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #2

Name: Maggie
Trailer: 1978 Boler 13'
Ontario
I think that's a great idea!
Yamaha_gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:21 PM   #3

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
To keep things in perspective. I wonder; just how many people from this forum had their trailers stolen?
Old 04-25-2011, 07:58 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew GPSMapNut View Post
To keep things in perspective. I wonder; just how many people from this forum had their trailers stolen?
Hard to tell without a way to track them! But they've sure gotten to be a hot commodity lately, if the number of offers I've had for my Trillium are any indication.
I didn't give this a whole lot of thought until I started reading about how easy it is in many states to re-title these trailers, especially the older ones.
Who knew their whole ID's are on a removable (thus replaceable) plate on the body! I had to go out and LOOK at my trailer to verify that piece of news.
I'm going to update my trailer's profile in the registry with "identifying mark" type picture- a handy accessible reference for the police report should the worst ever happen.

The existence of an E-mail alert system would probably attract more people to these forums, too. That's got to be good for the site.

Francesca
Old 04-25-2011, 10:25 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Someone on one of these boards suggested that the owner install your casita (or other brand) trailer serial number in huge lettering ON TOP of the trailer, where the thieves wouldn"t be likely to notice. The owner could notify the appropriate law enforcement agency(ies) to watch for it (by serial number) from their airplane/helicopter survailence planes, where it could be easily seen.

Mike
Mike Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:53 PM   #6

Registry
I saw that post, too- Making the trailer conspicuous to those that are looking is a great idea!
Of course, somebody has to be actually LOOKING for your stolen trailer- possibly not a very high priority for law enforcement
But who is ALWAYS looking when it comes to fiberglass trailers?

We are!

Is there any one of us that doesn't pay real close attention to any Egg we see? If there was some way to get the word out, you'd have 10,000 trained pairs of eyes on the job.

Maybe it would be too expensive to e-mail everybody...but heck, if it was my trailer, I'd pay for the service!

Francesca
Old 04-25-2011, 10:58 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Maybe it would be too expensive to e-mail everybody...but heck, if it was my trailer, I'd pay for the service!

Francesca
How about installing Lo-Jack?
Old 04-25-2011, 11:12 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
How about installing Lo-Jack?
Doesn't Lo-jack require that the Police have some sort of receiving unit?
I more or less live and travel in Mayberry. We're lucky Andy and Barney have two-way radios!
I'm thinking lo-jack coverage is going to be spotty yet awhile.
This resource already exists.
Worldwide!
Well, continent-wide, anyway

Francesca
Old 04-26-2011, 12:07 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew GPSMapNut View Post

Google search of this site: keyword "stolen":
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...om%2Fforums%2F

More than ten pages returned- not all actual stolen rigs, of course. I didn't go through them all.
Here are a few that were stolen trailers:

FGRV Thread:http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...las-24479.html
Craig Nold

Trailer: 1999 Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Missouri
Stolen two days ago. It's a 2001 16ft. Spirit Deluxe. It had Texas license plate # 29OU5G on it. It was a pretty standard looking Casita. No attention getting features. No awning, no step, AC was inside not on roof. If anyone sees or hears about one for sale and thinks it sounds like mine please Tray at: The Casita Club Forums - Home for Casita Travel Trailer Owners

FGRV Thread:http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...len-37153.html
03-30-2009, 01:57 AM #1
JenPB
Did anyone else spot this? I wonder what the real story is. Photo here:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/rvs/1082014612.html

"Taken from St Paul's east side on Feb. 13, 2008. Plate #RL73535 Vin #82CA183 white with blue lettering says "Casita". Also says "Little Maggie" above rear window. Two bumper stickers on back "KFAI" & "BE GREEN" although stickers & plate have probably been taken off or changed. Was last seen being pulled by a white Jeep. Camper is 13 ft long. Early model 1981 made in Backus, Mn. Any info appreciated! 651-230-2431"

FGRV Thread:http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ita-36254.html

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Phoenix Arizona
Quote:
My 17 ft. Casita Spirit Deluxe was stolen from my driveway East of Dallas Thursday night, Jan. 15, 2009. The Tag number is 599Y5C, Texas. It most noticably has a square aluminum tube riser under the Gas bottles and a broke vent cap above the bathroom,(front left), among others identifiers. I would apreciate any information that can be provided. We really want our "Egg" back.
Reply to 214-662-1176.
Craigslist Notification

1981 Scamp 13

FGRV Threadhttp://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f51/stolen-trailer-41891.html

04-23-2010, 05:08 PM #1
Jerry Chapman

Trailer: 2002 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Mississippi
Hopefully, someone will spot it......

The Casita Club Forums - Home for Casita Travel Trailer Owners

04-23-2010, 05:29 PM #2
Mike Ames

Trailer: R-Vision
N. Texas
She should post a pic.

FGRV Thread:http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...led-32580.html
Maybe we can help, in your travels, keep your eyes peeled
03-24-2008, 03:03 PM #1
Mike Montville

Trailer: 75 Boler
Minnesota
I don't know this guy, but his Casita was stolen, Maybe people can keep their eyes peel for it in their travels. I know I wouldn't like it if mine was stolen. How about you?
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/rvs/574191766.html

Mike
Old 04-26-2011, 12:35 PM   #10

Trailer: (fiberglass)
stolen trailers / EGGER ALERT

I once had a Casita freedom deluxe taken from a storage facility i think it was in 2002. the camper was found in 2005 it had been set on fire. I quess the people who took it used it untill then. I think maybe we need a "Egger Alert " for stolen trailers. From my own experience there is not much time put into trying to find things that get stolen ,the police have things they say are more important to deal with. The attitude of the police here was your insurance will pay you. My insurance only paid me because my storage facility had a fence around it. They said if it was at my house or on the road it would have been covered. but if in storage and not fenced in, it is not covered. thanks
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:49 PM   #11

Registry
!! "EGGER ALERT" !!

Beautiful!

Francesca
Old 04-26-2011, 04:06 PM   #12

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Quote:
Of course, somebody has to be actually LOOKING for your stolen trailer- possibly not a very high priority for law enforcement
==================================================

I suspect that if the trailer owner told the authorities it was a $20,000 trailer, they would be happy to look for it....it is no different from hunting for a $20,000 stolen car.

The big difference is that the authorities will know that the serial numbers are large enough to read from the air, and that the thieves probably don't know the numbers are on the top of the trailer. If I was the policeman, I would go out of my way for someone who made my job so easy, and so cleverly.

Since most trailers don't have the numbers on the top, one WITH the numbers, would really be easy to spot.

Why, that would be as easy as shooting an egg in a barrel!

Mike
Mike Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:29 PM   #13

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
A poached egg?
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:37 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
A poached egg?
Even MORE beautiful!

The "Poached" Egg-er Alert System, or P.E.A.S.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:18 PM   #15

Registry
Cool

Quote:
Doesn't Lo-jack require that the Police have some sort of receiving unit?
Even here in metropolitan San Diego, the local city police do not have Lo-Jack transponders.
When my Lo-Jack equipped Toyota Camry was stolen, the Police took the report and then handed the recovery off to the California Highway Patrol. I suspect your equivalent State Police force will get the recovery task.

(I got the car back the next day.)
Old 04-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Even here in metropolitan San Diego, the local city police do not have Lo-Jack transponders.
When my Lo-Jack equipped Toyota Camry was stolen, the Police took the report and then handed the recovery off to the California Highway Patrol. I suspect your equivalent State Police force will get the recovery task.

(I got the car back the next day.)
So!......
Frederick,

Given your above experience, would it be fair for me to ask why you recommended that I- or anyone else- should consider buying the Lo-Jack?

Thanks,

Francesca
Old 04-26-2011, 08:51 PM   #17

Registry
Because I had my stolen Camry returned to me within 24 hours, in the same condition it was in when I last saw it.
All I had to do was replace the door lock.
I also had a Toyota Corolla stolen that did not have Lo-Jack.
They found what was left of it 4 days later, after it had been stripped.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:55 PM   #18

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Police here don't even "look" for stolen cars. There are so many stolen that it is impossible. The only way you would get a car back is if like Fred's stripped abandoned Corolla or if someome joy rides with it, it is abandoned and someone calls in an abandoned car report. Then it gets towed and you have to pay hundred of dollars to get it out of hock.

Or like our 5th Avenue it is never seen or heard of again because it probably is in mexico.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:17 AM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Because I had my stolen Camry returned to me within 24 hours, in the same condition it was in when I last saw it.
All I had to do was replace the door lock.
I also had a Toyota Corolla stolen that did not have Lo-Jack.
They found what was left of it 4 days later, after it had been stripped.
Can we talk about something that might work for all of us, Mr. Moderator?
You're all taken care of, at least as long as you stay home in San Diego.
But if you come to- or live in- the Pacific Northwest, you might be glad of a lower tech recovery system.
Or ANY recovery system.
Here's the LowDown on LoJack on Andy and Barney's turf. Please check it out and advise us.
Is its $600.00 (plus) cost a prudent expenditure for Northwesterners, or for the many other FGRV members who live and travel in less urban areas than yours?

How LoJack Works - installation through tracking

Current LoJack coverage For Pacific Northwesterners:

IDAHO: No Coverage
MONTANA: No Coverage
OREGON: Covers Portland/Salem Metro areas only: Clackamas, Marion, Multnomah, Washington Counties. No coverage south of Salem, on the coast, or East of the Cascades
WASHINGTON: Covers Clark, Cowlitz, Gray's Harbor, Jefferson, King, Kitsap, Lewis, Mason, Pierce, Snohomish, Skagit, Thurston, Whatcom counties. No coverage East of the Cascades. No coverage in these Westside counties: Clallam, Island, Pacific, San Juan, Skamania, Wahkiakum.

*The LoJack Stolen Vehicle Recovery System is available in all or a substantial portion of each of the above counties, based on population density, geography and distribution of police tracking computers.

For recent updates to LoJack coverage, call 1-800-4-LoJack (1-800-456-5225).

P.S. Attention Canadians: I couldn't find any coverage information for your country. Lots of nice ads for the system, though!
Old 04-27-2011, 06:55 AM   #20

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
>>>snip>>>
P.S. Attention Canadians: I couldn't find any coverage information for your country. Lots of nice ads for the system, though!
LoJack? Who needs a LoJack In Canada, eh? We have something way better. We have lumberjacks! You put one of these in your car or trailer and who's going to touch it, eh?

Tags
security, trailer theft