An interesting way to handle a trailer sale. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2003, 09:26 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
An interesting way to handle a trailer sale.

I purchased my Casita late in May from an old Gentleman in Nevada.
I was intrigued by the way he handled the transaction. He had the entire transaction videotaped at someone else’s expense.

I had driven to Nevada from San Diego to see the Casita. I confirmed it was in very nice shape, and decided to purchase the trailer.

The former owner insisted on doing the deal at his bank. He also insisted I bring the largest bills possible. He requested $1000 bills, but those are not in circulation any more, so he had to settle for $100s.

At no time did he ever touch the money I was to pay for the trailer. He refused the envelope several times. He filled out a deposit slip and had me give the cash directly to the teller, who counted it out and deposited it in his account.

He then took me over to the center table where most people in line do their deposit slips. You know the one – right in the center of the bank. We did the paperwork for the sale and he made out a bill of sale and we were done.

Not until we were on our way out did I realize why he insisted this happen at his bank. Everything is on video and at the bank’s expense. The center table is right under a camera that has the resolution needed to read notes made out by bank robbers or bills of sale for trailers. Pretty clever.

He refused to touch the money in case it was counterfeit. By having the teller count the money on camera he absolved himself of any possible issues with the currency.

I learned a nice little trick from that old Gent.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 09:29 PM   #2

Hi
I think I would have been nervious doing a deal like that.:wave

Old 06-10-2003, 09:39 PM   #3

The event didn't seem that strange until I put it together as we walked out of the bank. :chin

The bank was only a block from his home. By that time I knew where he lived and what he did for a living. He appeared to be a very nice guy, and when he said he would feel better if his bank counted the money, it didn't seem all that strange.

I do think it is a clever way to have a transaction recorded by someplace that will keep the film or tape for sometime, without cost.

Either he had been burned in the past or was a "both belt and suspenders" type guy. Some folks need that extra margin of safety to feel good about a deal.

Old 06-10-2003, 09:45 PM   #4

I guess its ok as long as both parties are happy with transaction.Enjoy your rig.:wave

Old 06-11-2003, 11:14 AM   #5

Looks very much like trying to "build an alibi". I'm glad you were comfortable, and I hope all works out well. I'm afraid I'd have had qualms. Maybe if I'd met the guy already, as you did, I'd feel differently.

Old 06-11-2003, 12:13 PM   #6

Actually I did feel a little strange once I figured out what was happening. He was a pretty slick old goat.

He did actually misrepresent a couple of things about the trailer. He told me he had just replaced the battery, but the bench was silicone sealed into place so I couldn't check until I got home - the battery box contained an older marine battery with several dead cells.

He also told me the water heater had been serviced recently. If you happened to read my plumbing posts, you know that was incorrect.

Now that I have the tt disassembled partially I am checking every possible problem (that a newbie could be aware of).

He told me he had just repacked the wheel bearings - so I will do that next.

None of the problems were major. About $150 worth of repairs, but just goes to reinforce -buyer beware- is the bottom line.

I did feel a lot better when I received my California Title in the mail last week.

Old 06-17-2003, 08:57 PM   #7

You said he was old. Time flies when your old. he thought it was last month, but it was last year. or something like that. at least that's the way it's starting to be with me. :laugh

Old 06-17-2003, 09:21 PM   #8

Steven Wright, comedian, has a great line he uses in his act.

“Yesterday………….about 2 years ago….”

I am getting there myself.
Mark