Another stolen camper (6) story - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2020, 04:46 PM   #1

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Another stolen camper (6) story

As long as people are willing to buy RVs without LEGAL paperwork, there will be a market for stolen RVs.
https://www.wrtv.com/news/working-fo...-camper-mix-up
Attached Images

AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:17 AM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Unfortunately, most stolen trailers wind up out in the woods somewhere, being used as mobile meth labs.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:00 PM   #3

Trailer: Predom Prespol (N126N) Captain
Registry
Or as shelters at hunting camps. That's what the police told a friend whose airstream was stolen out of a storage yard.

The storage facility did not check to see if anything had gone missing all winter - they only knew it had disappeared when the owner came to get it in May.
Jennifer Minogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 01:35 PM   #4

Name: Robert
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot B-17'
Washington
I like the idea of putting a chip in ones rig. A theft ring was discovered the last I heard of an incident of this nature.
Glass House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 03:28 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Wonder if this is one of the six mentioned in the article?
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...day-93682.html

Bottom line... better know what security precautions are being taken by any repair shop you might use. The likeliest answer seems to be none.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 03:34 PM   #6

Wisconsin
Registry
Trak-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass House View Post
I like the idea of putting a chip in ones rig. A theft ring was discovered the last I heard of an incident of this nature.
I use trak-4.com on both my utility trailer and RV. The first two from Amazon did not work well. The company replaced them with a newer type that have worked well. This also gave me the chance to change from a 5-volt charge to 12 volt. Mine are hidden in the wall and the documentation is not in the trailer. There is a monitor fee, but they work! Remember, a TILE is not a tracker. Below is a typical trak-4 dusplay.
Attached Thumbnails
TRAK-4.jpg  
Old 10-12-2020, 03:38 PM   #7

Wisconsin
Registry
Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Wonder if this is one of the six mentioned in the article?
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...day-93682.html

Bottom line... better know what security precautions are being taken by any repair shop you might use. The likeliest answer seems to be none.
The six in the story are from Greenwood (Indianapolis) Indiana.
Old 10-12-2020, 03:56 PM   #8

Wisconsin
Registry
“we are not responsible for loss”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
And watch out for the fine print on the work order, it may contain a “we are not responsible for loss” clause.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:23 AM   #9

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
And watch out for the fine print on the work order, it may contain a “we are not responsible for loss” clause.

Depending upon the state you live the above statement may or may not be true.

Garage Keepers Insurance may cover the situation of your trailer being in the care of a repair shop or dealer depending upon the laws in the State you are in. Some state insurance laws will not allow the business owner to make or let you sign away your right of recovery if the business owner is shown to be negligent.

Be aware of your states insurance laws as they relate to Garage Keepers Insurance Coverage that the business may or may not have in place. Many repair shops are required by law to have Garage Keepers insurance coverage. If required a copy of that coverage is generally also required to be posted on the shops wall along with their business license and tax information. If you don't see it ASK THE BUSINESS OWNER to show you a copy of their Garage Keepers Insurance Declaration Page to make sure coverage is still in force, what and how is covers and if it covers your property when in the care of the shop owner.

Don't blindly sign away your Right Of Recovery on the work order without reading that work order and understanding what you have signed. Don't like the terms outlined in the work order then walk away and find another shop for your repairs.

Always remember the CHOICE IS YOURS!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:36 AM   #10

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:

I have never seen that clause in general. Now my mechanic and several others have a clause that says "not responsible for vehicles left over two weeks after they are completed. That actually kind of seems reasonable.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:40 AM   #11

Indiana
What the heck --- no lock

I know that when I take my camper into my rv shop they are on the ball on this. Now mostly I do it myself, but that is kind of just me. Mostly I think I will do it better. But some times some form of work from them is needed. By the way Roots RV.

Now I noticed that when I take my unit it and sign it in for repair, they take one of those balls with the u thing on it out to my trailer and lock the hitch. And when I come in to get it they have one on it which they unhook so I can hook on. Now I also noticed that it appears they have modified these so that their trailer mover can hook onto the bottom and move it as needed.

But I would really have to wonder why camping world is not doing this????
Old 10-17-2020, 11:51 AM   #12

Indiana
As far as the comment on paperwork. Sadly that does get lost a lot legitimately. AND while I think all the states have changed this, it used to be that many states didn't even have a titling thing for small trailers including campers. So there never was a title if they were in those states. A little like smaller motor scooters are licensed in some states not in others. I know people who have tried to buy scooters in Illinois and license them here and had all kinds of problems.

So there are actually a lot of ways to actually create a situation where you can get one titled. I have done that before. And then there is the case where the VIN number is lost. I have a noncamping trailer that I have to probably deal with one of these days. The actual VIN was apparently engraved in the frame of the jack before they rivited it to the frame of the trailer. The problem is that the jack didn't last long. When I replaced the jack with a better one, I removed and junked the old one, including the jack frame AND VIN.

One problem is that campers kind of do look alike. So nobody will notice if someone is going down the road with one of their friend's camper. So once you are off site it is a pretty low risk crime. And as people here have pointed out, even if you don't retitle it, the camper can be very valuable.
Old 10-17-2020, 01:31 PM   #13

Name: Deb
Trailer: Casita SD-17
Chicago, Illinois
Registry
Quote:
As long as people are willing to buy RVs without LEGAL paperwork, there will be a market for stolen RVs.
https://www.wrtv.com/news/working-fo...-camper-mix-up
For years I overnighted in the Greenwood Indiana Camping World parking lot when traveling south. The parking lot went from neat, clean and organized to a hot mess. Campers parked haphazardly (dumped) all over the lot and a lot of traffic going in and out of the lot and the campers during the night. I no longer felt safe there and haven’t gone back.
DebCost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 03:23 PM   #14

Name: Douglas
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
MD
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerspook View Post
And then there is the case where the VIN number is lost. I have a noncamping trailer that I have to probably deal with one of these days. The actual VIN was apparently engraved in the frame of the jack before they rivited it to the frame of the trailer. The problem is that the jack didn't last long. When I replaced the jack with a better one, I removed and junked the old one, including the jack frame AND VIN.
When I went to title a trailer I built in Nevada, the DMV guy stamped the VIN into the frame and then riveted the VIN plate on top of it. He told me that in Nevada, if someone brings in a trailer without a VIN, they seize it and crush it. I went home and got on my back and welded the VIN into a cross member of the frame.
Air Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:25 PM   #15

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Doug View Post
When I went to title a trailer I built in Nevada, the DMV guy stamped the VIN into the frame and then riveted the VIN plate on top of it. He told me that in Nevada, if someone brings in a trailer without a VIN, they seize it and crush it. I went home and got on my back and welded the VIN into a cross member of the frame.

I doubt that. Weird most states I have had dealings with they inspect a trailer and verify that it doesn't have a vin Then they give you a vin. Then you have to install the vin according to the rules and then they reinspect it and give you the title.

All that really has to happen is that it doesn't have an existing vin. I know many people who have gone this route to get a title to a trailer. Camping and not.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:07 PM   #16

MD
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerspook View Post
I doubt that. Weird most states I have had dealings with they inspect a trailer and verify that it doesn't have a vin Then they give you a vin. Then you have to install the vin according to the rules and then they reinspect it and give you the title.

All that really has to happen is that it doesn't have an existing vin. I know many people who have gone this route to get a title to a trailer. Camping and not.
Well, that is what the official told me. Have you tried it in Nevada to support your assertion? I had to show receipts for the steel and axles and springs to get it registered. No receipts, no registration.

Every state is different. I sold a Jeep to a guy in North Carolina and signed over the WV title to him. He couldn't get it registered in NC because the VIN was stamped on the frame but the firewall plate was missing. VIN on the frame matched the title. Go figure.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:49 PM   #17

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Doug View Post
Well, that is what the official told me. Have you tried it in Nevada to support your assertion? I had to show receipts for the steel and axles and springs to get it registered. No receipts, no registration.

Every state is different. I sold a Jeep to a guy in North Carolina and signed over the WV title to him. He couldn't get it registered in NC because the VIN was stamped on the frame but the firewall plate was missing. VIN on the frame matched the title. Go figure.

Nevada, no. Done that in two states. Legit rebuilds. Have friends who have done that in line 10 or so other states. Again legit builds or rebuilds. One friend makes some trailers I might get someday. Basically he takes an older small fiberglass or pop up style camper and pulls the camper part off of the frame. Usually because the frame is a disaster. Then he buys a couple more old junkers with good frames. Then he puts the camper on the front sideways the door to the back. The resulting frame is usually leaves about a 10-16 foot space for a deck outside the door that also will carry moto cycles and quad runners and the like. He always just titles those as a new build. I would assume that probably even that would fly where you did that.

Now I do know the police find vehicles with VINS labeled stolen they do generally crush them if they can't be returned to the owners. Or they let someone else do it and certify that it was done. Our family had some property that someone was using for a chop shop. When they raided the place most of the vehicles were returned to people (or their insurance) But they left a a big pile of parts and about eight cars. We could not sell the parts as well parts. But we had to take them to the scrap yard. And we also had to break down the cars and take them in for scrap and they could not be sold as salvage. That might be what you are talking about. More work than we got money, but then the place could be rented again.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:38 PM   #18

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Sold it
Northern VA
Quote:
I use trak-4.com on both my utility trailer and RV. The first two from Amazon did not work well. The company replaced them with a newer type that have worked well. This also gave me the chance to change from a 5-volt charge to 12 volt. Mine are hidden in the wall and the documentation is not in the trailer. There is a monitor fee, but they work! Remember, a TILE is not a tracker. Below is a typical trak-4 dusplay.
Thanks for this info. Been thinking of something to track my boat/boat trailer in case it leaves the marina it's stored in. Looks like a good unit. Might just go for it.
Dan-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:29 AM   #19

MD
Registry
Hey Ray,

What an interesting set of stories. I guess that where there is a will, there is a way. I think your experiences add perspective to the discussion of these 6 stolen campers and their fate. I have always assumed that they were ending up on someone's hunting property or camp. But who knows what all is happening. Maybe some are ending up on modified scavenged toy haulers like you described.

Take care,

Doug
Old 10-18-2020, 03:28 PM   #20

Wisconsin
Registry
Camping World owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebCost View Post
For years I overnighted in the Greenwood Indiana Camping World parking lot when traveling south. The parking lot went from neat, clean and organized to a hot mess. Campers parked haphazardly (dumped) all over the lot and a lot of traffic going in and out of the lot and the campers during the night. I no longer felt safe there and haven’t gone back.
I was a buyer of camping supplies at Camping World for a few years and then things started to go downhill I do not know if the timing coincided with Marcus Lemonis becoming the CEO or not because I can not find that date. But it did go downhill. He and his wife are buying large amounts of the company again this year. Maybe the service will get better again when he wants the stock price to go back up.