App for recording vehicle travel data - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-04-2020, 04:36 PM   #1

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
App for recording vehicle travel data

For many years I've kept a notebook with vehicle data like gas mileage, costs etc. For awhile now I've been thinking of trying a cell phone app instead.
I'd be interested in your experience with this type of app.

Walt
Old 01-05-2020, 08:12 AM   #2

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1700
Michigan
I use the spreadsheet app that came on my kindle. There is a spreadsheet app on my android phone but I find the screen too small to use very often.
Lisa in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:17 AM   #3

SW Virginia
Thanks Lisa. I know a spreadsheet could be used but I thought there might be a more convenient app specifically designed for travel use.

Walt
Old 01-05-2020, 08:37 AM   #4

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16 Standard Layout 6
Illinois
I used the Android app FillUp last year and thought it worked pretty good for mileage, costs, etc. Not real detailed but did what I want. I opened it recently after Android updates and a note popped up saying it was built for an older version of Android and may not work properly. A quick check and it seems OK but I'm still looking for another app. Unfollowing this thread to see what else may be mentioned and I'll post again if I find another app I like.
DLDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 12:52 PM   #5

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
I too am eager to see what options are available..
Chris from Comox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:48 PM   #6

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
Spreadsheet

I bought my new to me 2007 Casita from a couple in Georgia in 2018 and started a trip log (Excel) workbook to track usage and mileage. Along the way, I added sheets/tabs to build lists for items to take with me, a “pre-flight” checklist and mods/tweaks that I have done. As with any spreadsheet, columns and or sheets can be easily added for things like cost, gas usage, gas mileage, etc.

The spreadsheet is accessible on my (android) phone and on my PC. Naturally, I hesitate from updating it on the phone mostly because the combination of the size of the screen and the size of my fingers combine to make updating a horror story but I can view it there and, if needed, enter detailed updates on my PC.

I have posted a copy of my “spreadsheet” here. Feel free to download/save a copy for your use.
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:53 PM   #7

Name: Laura
Trailer: Escape 21' 2nd Gen, picked up on Black Friday 2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryB. View Post
(snip)
Naturally, I hesitate from updating it on the phone mostly because the combination of the size of the screen and the size of my fingers combine to make updating a horror story but I can view it there and, if needed, enter detailed updates on my PC.

Use a stylus. Lots smaller than fingers (usually). They make it way easier for me to text and other stuff on my phone. I have them all over the place so I won't be without one.

www.UnderKittySupervision.com
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:27 AM   #8

Trailer: Palomino Pop-up
Try Fuelly if you have an Android. It works great. I have been using it for quite a while and it records just about everything you could want. Fuelly - Track and Compare your MPG or go to the Play Store.
Mikey W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:16 PM   #9

Name: David
Trailer: Oliver
Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
For many years I've kept a notebook with vehicle data like gas mileage, costs etc. For awhile now I've been thinking of trying a cell phone app instead.
I'd be interested in your experience with this type of app.

Walt
When I was planning on purchasing our trailer, I had the same desire, for a good iPhone app to record mileage and costs. I did a bunch of research and decided on Road Trip. At $6.99, it is much more expensive than most apps I have, but I have been extremely pleased. App Store link.
The developer has been very responsive. Since the phone has GPS, I requested a feature to record the location of gas purchases. They put that into the app in an update.
DavidJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 05:52 PM   #10

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
I do t know if it is available for Android but I have an app on my iPhone called Mileage Keeper. It was a free app when I got it and I have been using it for several years.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 05:52 PM   #11

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
Fingers vs. Stylus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Use a stylus. Lots smaller than fingers (usually).
Well, on a phone, the need for speed (two thumbs vs. one stylus) usually traps me into trying to enter data by hand. :-) My real problem is the size of the screen exacerbated by the keyboard overlapping what I need to see/do.

Before I retired 2+ years ago, my coworkers would blink when I would bring a 12 page report to a meeting printed 4-up on three pages of paper. I’m not a tree hugger but I like the ability to visually scan the entire report without shuffling paper all over the place. :-)
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:48 PM   #12

SW Virginia
Regrettably Road Trip is not available on Android. It looks the closest to what I want by far.

Walt

Tags
eco