Appraisal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2020, 10:34 PM   #1

Name: Carinna
Trailer: Boler
Tacoma
Appraisal

Hi! Does anybody out there work at a dealership? We bought a 1970 Boler on Craigslist and I’m trying to transfer the title (in WA state), but the title place didn’t have Bolers in their database so the lady told me I have to take it to a dealership and have it appraised so they know how much sales tax we have to pay. If we could get a friendly dealership person to write something on a letterhead that says it’s not worth much, that would help us out!
tarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:23 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I've never read anyone in Washington State having this issue. Obviously you're not the first nor the only boler owner there. Why won't she accept the Bill of Sale, which should include price you paid? You did get one, didn't you? Try a different DMV.

What kind of dealership? There isn't any RV dealership that will know squat about bolers. IS boler in NADA?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:53 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Appraisal

No, not in NADA. I checked.

NADA value of a 1984 Scamp 13 (oldest in their database) is $1925.

Taxing private sales of vintage vehicles is fraught with issues. Are they after the depreciated value based on MSRP and standard depreciation tables, the current market value of the restoration, or the actual price you paid? Taxes are usually based on the first or the third (big difference), but an appraisal gives you the second.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:19 AM   #4

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
If you can't get a better answer at a different DMV this time ask to speak with a supervisor. They usually know better.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:22 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
. Obviously you're not the first nor the only boler owner there. Why won't she accept the Bill of Sale, which should include price you paid? You did get one, didn't you? Try a different DMV.

What kind of dealership? There is any RV dealership that will know squat about bolers. IS boler in NADA?

I was going to say the same thing until I read the line:

If we could get a friendly dealership person to write something on a letterhead that says it’s not worth much, that would help us out!

Instead my advice is to give them the bill of sale and pay the taxes due.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:01 AM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarvin View Post
Hi! Does anybody out there work at a dealership? We bought a 1970 Boler on Craigslist and I’m trying to transfer the title (in WA state), but the title place didn’t have Bolers in their database so the lady told me I have to take it to a dealership and have it appraised so they know how much sales tax we have to pay. If we could get a friendly dealership person to write something on a letterhead that says it’s not worth much, that would help us out!
I live in IllAnnoy, but I have done lost title work on both cars and trailers.
Generally any trailer sales place could write a value statement for your trailer.
They often start by just asking what you paid anyway, but they may also take suggestions. They do charge for the service often $50-$75.
I assume that your Boler is more than ten years old which would be residual value only anyway.
You might show them a picture of a Scamp and ask if they would consider it a comparable.
The good news is that dealer appraisals on fiberglass trailers over ten years old will usually be less than half of its real value.

You might also look for ads showing price on comparable trailers for sale.

Also, if you go on a different day to a different bureaucrat you may get a different result.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote