Buying a Compact II. Fair Price? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-11-2021, 03:58 PM   #1

Name: Ginny
Trailer: In the market
Alabama
Buying a Compact II. Fair Price?

Hello all! I have the opportunity to buy a Hunter Compact II that is in really good shape. It is not original on the interior, the fridge is taken out and the bathroom closet extended, the original stove was taken out, the floors have been replaced, AC added, original center table gone. I have attached the pictures to explain.

Seller reached out to me and seems very honest, reasonable, and trustworthy and is asking $6500.

Is this a good price? My budget was to stay under $6000 so I am a littler nervous about it.

Any thoughts appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1199.JPG   IMG_1201.JPG  

IMG_1203.JPG   IMG_1205.JPG  

Ginfulk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 04:29 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
The covid pandemic has put very strong upward pressure on RV trailer prices. Generally this is a fair price for a Compact II WITH A CLEAN TITLE (this is a must) and in GOOD condition. What is good condition?

- Mechanical: The steel frame is straight, not rusted out or cracked. Axle is straight and suspension still cushions the trailer. Wheel bearings have been serviced. Tires are in good condition and no more than a few years old. Coupler, tongue jack, chains in good repair.

- Towing lights work.

- Body: No major damage. Door latch and hinges in good repair. Pop top hardware in good repair.

- Body interior: Electrical, plumbing and propane lines and components should be in good repair.

Thoroughly check for floor rot. Also, assume you will have to remove and re-seal windows, electrical ports and plumbing ports if this has not been done.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 04:34 PM   #3

Michigan
Registry
Based on the pics, the trailer looks good. Biggest concerns are:

- MUST have a clean title in the seller's name.
- NEVER send a deposit.
- Bring a friend along to assist in evaluating the trailer and the deal.
Old 02-11-2021, 04:58 PM   #4

Alabama
thank you for your response!

yes it has a clean title, good bearings, new rims and tires, all electric is working and body looks good. I will keep an eye on all those things when I go check it out! Thank you for the advice
Old 02-11-2021, 07:15 PM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I would consider that price to be on the low side right now. Your budget will not go far in this pandemic boom market.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 11:00 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Good price for these times

The trailer looks to be in excellent condition, and the price seem fair for these times. Spend the money, and enjoy your purchase.
Bill & C Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 11:08 AM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
This looks to be in good condition. John and others have made excellent suggestions. Looks underneath the trailer, check to see if everything works, and go from there. If you find some problems but overall it looks good, use them for negotiating the price a bit. But the asking price seems fair. These are easy to haul, lightweight trailers.
Good luck! Enjoy~

Francene
'74 Compact II
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 11:21 AM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Also take into consideration what it will cost you too make it your own.
Refrigerator, furnace, converter, stove, plumbing, toilet, on and on.
That’s the true cost.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 11:35 AM   #9

Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mszabo View Post
All so take into consideration what it will cost you too make it your own.
Refrigerator, furnace, converter, stove, plumbing, toilet, on and on.
That’s the true cost.
Oh yes and a "suitable" tow vehicle, for sure almost as bad as owning a boat
Old 02-12-2021, 11:37 AM   #10

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
be sure to check the frame for cracks especially just before it goes out the front. You can find allot post in the forum about replacing the frame. It is not overly expensive, but it is allot of work.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 12:30 PM   #11

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
IF I gave you a good Compact trailer, you add $6000 of your own money to spend on the restoration and 6-12 Months of your life building your FREE trailer to fit your needs the trailer would never git finished, you would lose interest in the whole trailer project and camping in general.

IF you value your time at all and this trailer is horseshoes close to what you want BUY IT, GO CAMPING AND ENJOY LIFE! $6500 is not a lot of money in todays fiberglass trailer market.

IF you find after purchasing this trailer that it does not "meat" your needs SELL THE TRAILER!

Just remember the "Bigger Fool Theory" when it comes to selling:

You may not be the smartest guy in line however your not the dumbest guy in line either therefore all you need to do is find is the "Bigger Fool" standing in line behind you to buy your trailer.

In today's world that's very easy to do!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:10 PM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
if i wanted it i would send a deposit done it 2x no problems sold one the same way!

you can usually tell an honest seller and that is a nice trailer worth more than that!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:11 PM   #13

Missouri
yep by far!
Old 02-12-2021, 06:14 PM   #14

Alabama
Thank you all for the helpful information! I actually decided against buying this one. It didn't fit exactly what I was wanting (I really love the original interiors of these campers) and figured the right one will come along that I will be happier stretching my budget for.

That being said, if anyone has a little fiberglass cutie they are looking to sell, I am still in the market!
Old 02-12-2021, 06:45 PM   #15

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
May have to raise the budget. I am seeing Trilliums that still need some work in the $8,000 to $12,000 range. Lots of vintage style, great jalousie windows, but the pricing has gotten crazy lately.

In the end, the market sets values regardless of budget. There is always someone out there that scores some smoking hot deal, but they neglect to mention how hard they looked, and the luck involved.

Even back when I picked up my Trillium, they were extremely hard to find, particularly in the USA. And they never have been "cheap" price wise.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 06:56 AM   #16

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
May have to raise the budget. I am seeing Trilliums that still need some work in the $8,000 to $12,000 range. Lots of vintage style, great jalousie windows, but the pricing has gotten crazy lately.

In the end, the market sets values regardless of budget. There is always someone out there that scores some smoking hot deal, but they neglect to mention how hard they looked, and the luck involved.

Even back when I picked up my Trillium, they were extremely hard to find, particularly in the USA. And they never have been "cheap" price wise.

i agree with everything you say bill! i never thought i would see f/g trailers go so crazy on prices!