Cannot recommend RV Consumer Group products - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-24-2019, 05:24 PM   #1

Name: Gus
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Texas
Cannot recommend RV Consumer Group products

I spent the $85 for the latest "Towable Rating Reports (2011-2019) plus 3 Best-Selling Books PLUS". Overall, I found the RVCG published information of no value to me.

For example, you should expect that a travel trailer brand will have only one rating and one safety evaluation, regardless of length, number of axles, weight, etc.

I cannot recommend this RVCG product to anyone.

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:48 PM   #2

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Welcome to FGRV!
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:16 PM   #3

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
I saw that product advertised on their website. I considered buying it before we settled on a molded FG trailer. With such a small pool of trailer to choose from--and considering we'll likely be beyond the "old" end of the range they cover--I think I can get more than enough info from these forums and other owners.

The way they described the books, it sounded like they would have ratings for each model produced by a trailer brand for the period covered. Disappointing to hear they are less than that.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:17 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
From what I’ve read they are overly generous with their reviews ( A lot of 4 out of 5) rendering them almost useless !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:25 PM   #5

Name: Gus
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
Welcome to FGRV!
Thanks. We are finding this forum quite informative.

In late May, we will be owners of our first fiberglass travel trailer - a 19' Escape. Our previous trailer experience has been 15 years in a 30' Airstream Classic.

Mary and I look forward to following this forum and the trove of information.

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:36 AM   #6

Name: Tom and Joy
Trailer: Scamp 16
Santa Rosa, California
Not sure what the complaint here is. It sounds like you are asking for one brand to have one rating. I cannot imagine that would be helpful, something akin to a Corvette getting the same rating as a a Silverado pickup, just because they are both made by Chevrolet.
ThomasBalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:05 PM   #7

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
In my experience, the most reliable information comes from forums like this one. The information offered is candid and comes from experience.
I am however a "Good Sam" member as they offer some good discounts to folks like us.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:56 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasBalmer View Post
Not sure what the complaint here is. It sounds like you are asking for one brand to have one rating. I cannot imagine that would be helpful, something akin to a Corvette getting the same rating as a a Silverado pickup, just because they are both made by Chevrolet.
The parallel doesn't quite hold, as many trailer models are typically made in the same manufacturing facility using the same materials and processes. In automotive terms it's more like comparing a regular cab 2WD and a crew cab 4WD Silverado made in the same plant.

On the other hand, RV manufacturers often offer several lines of trailers ranging from economy to deluxe and using different materials, so it would make sense to rate each line separately. Chevy vs. Buick, since you like automotive parallels.

One of the big difficulties with guidebooks to RV quality is the pervasive practice of discontinuing a line that gets a bad reputation, and then rolling out a "brand new" line with a different name and look, but made in the same old plant using similar materials and the same manufacturing process. That's why it does make some sense to look at the overall track record of the parent company and not pay too much attention to names and models.

"There is nothing new under the sun"... or perhaps very little, when it comes to RV's!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco