Cashiers Check - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2014, 11:36 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Cashiers Check

Hi,

We are in the process of purchasing a Scamp 2000 miles away. We sent a deposit $2000. cashiers check. There hasn't been a problem, but now the seller wants us to drive 2000 miles with cash well over $500. They said cash is standard on Craigslist, not cashiers check. I don't really understand why someone would not accept a cashiers check. Any ideas of other forms of payment? We have the $, just don't want to transport that much cash.

Thanks
catboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:58 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by catboat View Post
Hi,

We are in the process of purchasing a Scamp 2000 miles away. We sent a deposit $2000. cashiers check. There hasn't been a problem, but now the seller wants us to drive 2000 miles with cash well over $500. They said cash is standard on Craigslist, not cashiers check. I don't really understand why someone would not accept a cashiers check. Any ideas of other forms of payment? We have the $, just don't want to transport that much cash.

Thanks
There are few people in this day and age who will take a cashiers check for payment of anything - they can bounce and the seller only realizes it days after you have taken the trailer. We in Canada have something called a registered cheque that is as good as cash but my understanding that the US system for registered cheques is not the same or as solid so they are also not an option that many US sellers would take either.

A couple of options - don't travel with the cash - go to a bank close to the seller and take the money out once you actually arrive at destination. Or go with the seller (if they will agree) to a bank close by them and do a direct wire transaction to them.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
First off, I would not have sent them $2000 anything.

If both of you have a Bank of America account you can write them a check at their local BOA and that bank will approve it on the spot.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Same issue when we bought our Scamp .Seller would not accept a cashier's check, CASH ONLY . Cashier's checks are often forged just check the internet
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:29 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
cash?

Accepting cash can be risky because some of it is not made by the US government or the Canadian government. Some homemade money looks very well made.
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:49 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbrightsteve View Post
Accepting cash can be risky because some of it is not made by the US government or the Canadian government. Some homemade money looks very well made.
LOL well here in Canada we now have those funny plastic (polymer) bills with lots of Holograms on them. By design they are a lot harder to recreate at home. In fact so hard our own government does not make our bills any more! Mexico does it for us!
Old 09-20-2014, 01:07 PM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Ask your bank who they can interface with in the town you are going to pick up the Scamp. They can wire the money to that Bank/Branch and you can go there with the seller and draw out the money. The buyer did it that way when we sold the BigFoot. They came from out of town and all we had to do was take them to our local BofA Branch and the money was waiting for them.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
First off, I would not have sent them $2000 anything.
Darwin raises a VERY good point! If your going to send money make sure it is very traceable. A cheque is not easy to trace as far as where it actually ended up being deposited & into who's account. A direct wire transfer if you have to send money is probable a safer bet although not fool proof either.

A member here learned the hard way that all sellers can not be trusted. They sent a deposit to the seller - used a bank to transfer the funds. The seller then failed to answer many calls from them in regards to when they could pick up the trailer. When they did eventially contact them the seller was very avasive as to when they would be able to pick the trailer up. They discovered only via another trailer forum or Facebook page? (or something like that) that the seller had sold the trailer to someone else having read the happy new owners announcement of their new purchase & recognized the trailer as they one they thought they had agreement to purchase.

As they did have the sellers banking info etc due to the money transfer the law authorities where able to trace the seller and had them agree to return the funds.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:34 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thanks

I didn't know there ever was a problem with cashier checks. Now, at least I understandable why they aren't comfortable with a cashiers check. We will figure it out...
catboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:42 PM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Just do it. I wouldn't take your check either.
Checks aren't worth the paper there printed on.
They took the one because it would clear before you get there.
It's great your so trustworthy, there are lots of scammers out there.
So you can't blame them for being careful.
But, I would take gold or silver bars also.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:53 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Write yourself a cashiers check and then find a bank and cash it when you get there. Sounds the easiest. I took 10K cash with me on my venture and felt okay with it and it worked out fine.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 02:02 PM   #12

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Find your bank there. No other bank will cash it!
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 02:22 PM   #13

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
Write yourself a cashiers check and then find a bank and cash it when you get there. Sounds the easiest. I took 10K cash with me on my venture and felt okay with it and it worked out fine.
I agree. I wouldn't take a check either unless I allowed two weeks for it to clear before releasing the for sale item. I wouldn't send a cashiers check either. I had a friend that sent a cashiers check for deposit on a Class A motorhome. $10,000.00. Seller was in constant contact with them until a few hours before they were to arrive to pick up. They arrived in Ohio to the given address to find out there wasn't any motorhome for sale there. They tried calling seller. Number was no longer in service.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:32 PM   #14

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
I'm unclear on why one would be reluctant to carry cash. Cash is pretty much universally accepted most anywhere (unless you're trying to board an airplane). Are folks afraid they'll lose it or something? I'm much more more afraid of using my credit card in some redneck, backwater town in North Mississippi than handing a hundred dollar bill across the counter to pay for whatever I think I can't live without. I don't worry about someone trying to take it from me, go ahead, make my day. I'll be happy to introduce you to Reacher.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
Write yourself a cashiers check and then find a bank and cash it when you get there. Sounds the easiest. .
Why not just use your banking debit card and take out what you need at a bank machine near the seller? If you have a limit on how much cash you can withdraw using the bank machine each day then just go into a branch of your bank and use your card to make the withdrawal.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:45 PM   #16

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Get a postal money order instead.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:23 PM   #17

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I am sorry, but traveling with $500 is pretty small stuff and I do not understand the problem. I handed $3500 cash to the seller of my Scamp and he returned the $500 deposit check I had previously given him, no drama, no issues. Cash is King!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:20 PM   #18

Name: Michael
Trailer: Escape 21
Georgia
No one has mentioned this, since 9-11 large cash transactions have to be reported to the feds. It's supposed to help curb funneling money to terrorists.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
lijMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:22 PM   #19

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
When I bought my Envoy,I paid 18k in cash, I have no problem carrying cash either. Money order is pretty good option or Visa travelers check, if it's in your name You can cash it at any bank when you arrive
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:33 PM   #20

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
I believe....

...it has to be 10K or more to be reported.

I too will carry large sums of $$$ when traveling. I hide it in several places....that ol' "Don't put all your eggs in one basket" thing, AND I carry the receipt from the bank showing that I withdrew this amount! That in case police stop me for whatever reason, see large amount of cash and assume it is for, or from, a drug deal. Just makes things easier.

And police really shouldn't see that I have $$$$$, but, things happen.

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote