Cashless national parks - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-14-2022, 05:55 PM   #41

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKilian View Post
We disagree about how much the federal government should intrude on private affairs between two people.

Well our money should be our money or not. Of course we should never have left the gold standard.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 07:16 PM   #42

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
I sold a bike to a friend and he gave me a check. I was annoyed but it was my fault because I didn't specify cash and I've been lazy and haven't signed up for one of the online money transfer schemes. It cost me $8 to get the check cashed. Wouldn't have cost anything if I'd used my own bank but they've downsized and the nearest branch is now 30 miles away. I guess the lesson is it's best to keep up. It can cost money and aggravation trying to keep things the way they used to be.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 11:26 AM   #43
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
An interesting article....

https://www.outsideonline.com/advent...ions-no-shows/
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 04:59 PM   #44

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Gas price

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
i filled my truck at an unmanned credit only station in San Diego during peak gas prices a few weeks ago, and the station had a $75 limit and about $5.70/gallon, it took THREE swipes of my card, two I had to approve via a text message before my 38 gallon diesel tank was full.
The latest is purchase limits on a gas fill up. At current prices many can not fill their tank without hitting the transaction limit of the stations (not my card) credit limit, that employees do not even know that they have. Just another reason to carry two cards.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 04:55 PM   #45

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
The latest is purchase limits on a gas fill up. At current prices many can not fill their tank without hitting the transaction limit of the stations (not my card) credit limit, that employees do not even know that they have. Just another reason to carry two cards.
We just had the same problems. We hit our limit at $75 on gas, so I went in and the employee said it was my card and I told her no it wasn't because a couple of days before I put in $125. Most employees think it is your card but it is not. It is the fuel stations limits. She put a $100 prepaid in and it stopped at about $96. My credit card shows the $96 charge. So they put a prepaid hold on and when you are done you are charged for the correct amount. Of course you have to be in a place where there are employees. So if you know it is going to be over the limit you can go in and they can put whatever amount on prepaid that you tell them to. At about $4 a gallon when you need 40 gallons you will go over the limit every time.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 07:07 PM   #46

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
I am a small timer so when I fueled the Highlander and 4 mower gas cans my bill came to $108, a new personal best. One swipe of the credit card and I was good to go. Kind of a reality check for this old man. When I went to Iowa State in the fall of 1966 my first quarter tuition( they were on trimesters then) was $99. During the summer the Board of Regents had raised the winter quarter tuition $5 to $104. Lots of students wondered how they could come up with the extra money. You could go to the “board” in Beardshear Hall and find temporary or project work, raking leaves, mowing, painting a garage. Those jobs usually paid a dollar an hour and I was on those opportunities like a dog on a bone.
A semester’s tuition or 27 gallons of gasoline. Times have changed.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 07:32 AM   #47

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I also hit my first fill for over $100.00. The pump never stopped until full - $109.22, and that was just the truck. 24.773 gallons or $4.409 per gallon in Bennington, VT yesterday on the way to the Spring Fling. I've come close to that a couple of times, but since I prefer to fill at 1/2 a tank, never broke $100.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:51 AM   #48

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
The Winner

You beat me Jon, and that’s fine with me. Reminds me when my brothers and I all had chicken pox at the same time. Had to count who had the most whatever they were. And that wasn’t a good thing either. The winner was my brother Eric who got shingles a couple years ago. When we heard that he had shingles , we got the shots.
Looking forward to seeing you again at Algonac.
Teresa will be there too,
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 01:25 PM   #49

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
ok, i found the last few reciepts from my march southern california road trip. these are for my longbed F250 7.3 diesel 4x4 which has a 38 gallon diesel tank.

most expensive fillup was that 3-swipe ($75 limit) at the Navy Exchange in San Diego, $164.59 total for 27.949 gallons, $5.889/g.

last fillup the day I got home was $163.70 for 26.056 gallons, $5.899/g

most expensive gas I put in my tank was 5.5 gallons at $6.699/g, last stop before entering Death Valley. cheapest was in Beatty, NV, $5.419/g

I don't have one gas receipt from the Costco in Santa Maria, i'll hazard a guess that was about 230 miles, about 20 gallons cuz a lot of it was stop and go the first day. So that brings the total of the trip to 153 gallons and $900.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:42 PM   #50

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
That's a real costly rig you have. But I bet you've amortized all the purchase costs out of it and buying a new higher-economy rig would never pay back the price for you.

8-10 MPG and diesel is really going to run up your fuel bill.

It's good to hear you're still on the road, love your rig and are enjoying camping and traveling.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:47 PM   #51

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
its more like 12-15 MPG. i've seen almost 20 running empty on the interstate w/o towing, and I just had some injectors replaced so lets see if it gets back to the 13-14-15ish range next tow (memorial day weekend)
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote