current tags/registration - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #21

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Jim, I also had to get temp permits for the states I traveled through when I purchased my car & trailer in the US to get them home to Canada. Its a no no to show up at the border with plates from another car or trailer on them prior to there being formally imported - applies going both directions.

Out of curiosity where you ever able to find out through the Escape forum if anyone from the US had actually been able to get at temp permit from ICBC (the Insurance Corp. of BC)?
I'm only sticking with Washington temp tags for several reasons, not every state issue them and I do not know which states I'll be returning thru. Yes I spoke with ICBC and they will issue a 24 hour insurance for like $25 because basically US insurance is not good in US?
Either way there is an office in Chilliwack and I'm sure Tammy or Reace can help me with that hurdle. I'm planning on arriving late Monday, the day it is expected to be completed and staying there mon and tuesday to test everything. Wed morning I head home and once in states will put on the Washington temp tag and start driving/camping 4 days/nights til Sunday arrival back in Pa.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:07 AM   #22

Pennsylvania
Registry
I'll have all my paper work and a valid insurance paid in full policy for both truck and new trailer. My passport and there is something about a "speed pass" type of passport addendum you can obtain that more or less they wave you thru? Anyone familiar with these? I guess it is for commuters who cross daily?
I will have with me my old trailer unexpired tags and registration, not mounted on the trailer but lying inside, in case some trooper says I must have tags to drive thru their state. Oh, and the temporary Washington State permit to mount in the back window.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:16 AM   #23

Trailer: Trillium 1972
Registry
Interesting...I was actually gping to start a new forum topic on insuring fgrv. I thought, here in PA- the fgrv is lessvthan 3,000 lbs. It does not to be inspected. And since its attached to my tow vehicle, I assumed it is insured. No?
Cyndivg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #24

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yes I spoke with ICBC and they will issue a 24 hour insurance for like $25 because basically US insurance is not good in US?
I dont believe the issue is that your US insurance isn't any good :-) I suspect its actually because in BC you can not drive or tow anything without it having a licence plate with current insurance tags on it or a temp permit in the rear window. As your trailer will not have gone through the import process yet it will not have any plates on it (you cant legally put plates on it before you import it properly). In BC the trailers must have there own plates and insurance (totally separate from the tow vehicle) or temp permit which must be a min. of:
$150,000 per person for medical and rehabilitation costs
$200,000 for damages claimed by others, and
$1 million per person if the at-fault motorist is under-insured.

The good news is that its a rare occasion that anyone ever has to deal with being hit by a BC resident that doesn't have enough insurance to cover your damages. The highway patrols are *very fast* at pulling anyone over who does not have current insurance tags on their car or trailer (they are color coded so they can spot an expired tag fast) & the fine for driving without insurance is $598 no questions asked!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:27 AM   #25

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndivg11 View Post
Interesting...I was actually gping to start a new forum topic on insuring fgrv. I thought, here in PA- the fgrv is lessvthan 3,000 lbs. It does not to be inspected. And since its attached to my tow vehicle, I assumed it is insured. No?
We are addressing the registration and obtaining plates. I assume you already have those. Inspection is another whole topic, which I believe here in Pa., if less than 3000# you do not need to have done. Insurance, another issue, is not automatic. Your assumption may not cover any damage, theft, nor liability in an accident due to the rv. I purchase a separate rv policy for my rv here in Pa, about $150/year for that coverage plus insurance for my tow vehicle, another policy another $400/year
Old 05-26-2012, 08:29 AM   #26

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I dont believe the issue is that your US insurance isn't any good :-) I suspect its actually because in BC you can not drive or tow anything without it having a licence plate with current insurance tags on it or a temp permit in the rear window. As your trailer will not have gone through the import process yet it will not have any plates on it (you cant legally put plates on it before you import it properly). In BC the trailers must have there own plates and insurance (totally separate from the tow vehicle) or temp permit which must be a min. of:
$150,000 per person for medical and rehabilitation costs
$200,000 for damages claimed by others, and
$1 million per person if the at-fault motorist is under-insured.

The good news is that its a rare occasion that anyone ever has to deal with being hit by a BC resident that doesn't have enough insurance to cover your damages. The highway patrols are *very fast* at pulling anyone over who does not have current insurance tags on their car or trailer (they are color coded so they can spot an expired tag fast) & the fine for driving without insurance is $598 no questions asked!
Good to know, I'll get the one day coverage to get me back to the border, legally.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:35 AM   #27

Registry
Quote:
I'll have all my paper work and a valid insurance paid in full policy for both truck and new trailer. My passport and there is something about a "speed pass" type of passport addendum you can obtain that more or less they wave you thru? Anyone familiar with these? I guess it is for commuters who cross daily?
Jim the speed pass is used by people who frequently cross the border -you need to apply for it and pay a extra fee for it and go through a secondary level of security check - there is a dedicated Speed pass express lane at the border & you just flash the speed pass at the computer and it lets you through without having to talk to anyone at the booth - Sometimes!
Its random - there is someone at the booth you go by and they can & will stop you and double check you. Last week-end the speed pass lane was backed up further than the regular lane so it wasnt any faster.... go figure.

As you are importing a trailer you would not be able to use the speed pass regardless.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #28

Pennsylvania
Registry
Some great information, skip the speed pass but get the one day ICBC permit.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:42 AM   #29

Registry
Quote:
Some great information, skip the speed pass but get the one day ICBC permit.

Good plan!

As I mentioned it is not the practice of the border folks to ask about insurance papers but I do know that while you are in doing the import paper work there will be border folks wondering around outside and if its not busy they will all be taking sneaking peeks at the trailer -as mentioned before there is less than a 50% chance that you will be asked to open up the trailer. If they do ask dont assume the reason is they think you might have bombs in it More than a few folks working on both sides of the border love fiberglass trailers and like to ask about them... when I cross which is fairly frequently I have had situations where they have forgotten to ask me the basic questions such as where are you going? where do you live? any fruits or veggies etc, but instead ask all about the trailer. Does it have a bathroom? Can I stand up in it? How much does it weigh? It has happened going in both directions.

If you dont have a valid permit of some sort on the trailer or you have put plates from another trailer on it there is a good chance that one of those folks peeking around outside will come in and give you the big finger wag.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #30

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Reace should be able to help you out with what usually happens at the border (and could happen), he has been through a few times before. Search the old posts by Raya for her info on importing a trailer into the USA, she had a lot of good info.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post154528
and
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post162299
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #31
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
I will have with me my old trailer unexpired tags and registration, not mounted on the trailer but lying inside, in case some trooper says I must have tags to drive thru their state. Oh, and the temporary Washington State permit to mount in the back window.
When we were looking at the Escape we visited some folks with a 19 ft here in Vermont. I believe what they did was pay for their trailer in advance and received their MCO. They then went to Vermont DMV and obtained their title, registration and plates which they then took with them to Chilliwack. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #32

Pennsylvania
Registry
Bureaucracy at it's best. Pennsylvania will give you a temp tag if you are exporting a trailer to another state but not one if you are importing one. I mean who cares if it is leaving the state but no help for resident trying to bring on into the state. No tags until the vin can be verified, in person.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #33

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Please check in advance WHICH border crossings are the ones to use for vehicle imports/exports. There are 4 crossings in the metro Vancouver area. From West to East they are:

The PEACE ARCH
The TRUCK CROSSING
ALDERGROVE/LYNDON
SUMAS

When I have been taking cars either way, the ONLY one that can process the paperwork is the TRUCK CROSSING. May be different for trailers......

Oh never mind.... I'll check into it for you as I am here and go back & forth quite often. I'm sure Reace & Tammy can also advise....
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #34
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Bureaucracy at it's best. Pennsylvania will give you a temp tag if you are exporting a trailer to another state but not one if you are importing one. I mean who cares if it is leaving the state but no help for resident trying to bring on into the state. No tags until the vin can be verified, in person.
Your tax dollars at work.

It seems to me that there must be a time period between the purchase and required registration. Here it is 15 days. During that time your MCO or signed over registration/ bill of sale shows legal ownership and you are legal to drive or tow the vehicle.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #35

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Current registration comes to mind when I first got my boler American. It seems that if the seller wanted to give me the proper documentation they would have had to register it in MA where they lived and paid all the back taxes on it. The seller had inherited the trailer from his father many years before and he still had the original NY papers and plates on it.

So current might indicate that no back taxes are owed on it. Apparently the annual taxes have to be paid if you use the trailer or not in MA.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:58 PM   #36

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
Yes, I do recall every purchaser of a new Ford being advised to do that......
Now... you know that ain't so on any make! Simply because a clear title on a new car is extremely rare, and they want you back for a another one before the one you have is paid for!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote