From USA paying a Canadian Seller - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2022, 03:20 PM   #1

Name: Shangie
Trailer: Northwood Nash 22/1977 Trillium 4500
Washington
From USA paying a Canadian Seller

Hello- Am familiar with importing to the us- been there, done it. My question is about cash only sellers in Canada. The two times I have bought a larger ticket item in Canada the sellers accepted a cashiers check and we went to their bank together where it was verified.

If a potential Canadian seller wants cash in Canadian dollars, I would have to get that cash in the US and pay an exchange rate.

Canadian banks won't exchange US dollars without one having a bank account or at least that is what we were told during two weeks boating throughout the Gulf Islands. When we visited towns we could not get a bank to exchange US dollars although we found bank machines were we were able to get some Canadian cash but we mostly used our credit card. None of those machines however would allow for the large sums of money to be withdrawn and our bank has daily limits.

If we look at the trailer and decide it's a "no go" then we've paid an exchange rate fee for nothing and then we have to convert back to US dollars meaning we pay an exchange rate fee again. While the exchange rate is great an exchange fee rate is not so great, especially when doubled.

Has anyone dealt with this? Is the potential exchange rate loss just a "suck it up buttercup" reality for doing cash business with Canadian sellers?
Shangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 07:16 PM   #2

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Would the sellers potentially accept US dollars if they checked at the time of transaction the amount that their bank would give them and then they could change it to Canadian.
The transaction could be done at their bank so they would know they wouldn’t be losing money on the conversion.
That way you wouldn’t lose any money either if the deal didn’t go through.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 05:35 AM   #3

Name: Shangie
Trailer: Northwood Nash 22/1977 Trillium 4500
Washington
Smile Thank You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
Would the sellers potentially accept US dollars if they checked at the time of transaction the amount that their bank would give them and then they could change it to Canadian.
The transaction could be done at their bank so they would know they wouldn’t be losing money on the conversion.
That way you wouldn’t lose any money either if the deal didn’t go through.

That makes a lot of sense. I would think that should be acceptable to a seller. We just need to do business with someone who will go that route. Thank you!!!
Shangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 03:25 AM   #4

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1700
Michigan
We did that the last time we bought a trailer in Canada. Went to the sellers bank with the seller and the cashier told us exactly how much to hand over to meet the Canadian sales price.
Lisa in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 12:49 PM   #5

Name: Alan & Penny
Trailer: Armadillo
British Columbia
As a Canadian I’m quite used to the “pain” of having to pay as we go across the border; interesting to hear how things work (or don’t) from the other perspective.

Glad you were able to come up with a workable method!
AP-Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 08:56 AM   #6

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
I would think a bank check from your bank that specified "In Canadian Funds" would be more that adequate. If the seller doesn't like that - walk!!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 09:23 AM   #7

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
I would think a bank check from your bank that specified "In Canadian Funds" would be more that adequate. If the seller doesn't like that - walk!!
Unfortunately that would not be accepted at Canadian banks and my guess would be if a Canadian did that in reverse for a US bank it would not be accepted either.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 03:59 PM   #8

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
Unfortunately that would not be accepted at Canadian banks and my guess would be if a Canadian did that in reverse for a US bank it would not be accepted either.
I live in a "resort" ski community not to far from Ontario. Canadian money is accepted at par at most of our stores and restaurants. I know that our banks would accept Canadian checks marked pay in US Funds. When cashed you got the rate what ever it was that day. Maybe we are just more Canadian friendly because we get lots of Canadians visiting and spending money.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote