Has anyone ever shipped a trailer long distance? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-28-2008, 08:03 PM   #1

Trailer: Coleman
Thumbs up

I have the opportunity to buy a old Bigfoot 5er that I'm pretty excited about. Only one catch..it's in British Columbia and I live in Pennsylvania Google tells me it's 2825 miles one way, so if I drive out to get it, I'll be on the road at least 6 days. Figuring motels, food, gas and tolls I'm probably looking at between $1500 and $2000 for the trip, not to mention blowing a week's vacation and the wear and tear on my truck. So shipping it looks pretty good if I don't go broke doing it. Has anyone ever done this and how did it work out? Any idea of cost?

Thanks
Moses
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:08 PM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
A few years ago I had Casita ship a trailer to me in California. It cost about $750. Oliver trailers is now quoting $1.40/mile to ship anywhere.

So using your 2825 miles @ $1.40/mile, it would cost $3,955. OUCH!
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:23 PM   #3

Quote:
A few years ago I had Casita ship a trailer to me in California. It cost about $750. Oliver trailers is now quoting $1.40/mile to ship anywhere.

So using your 2825 miles @ $1.40/mile, it would cost $3,955. OUCH!
Thanks Mike
That's a very big OUCH!!! About twice what it would cost for me to go out and get it. What do you think of buying a '84 Bigfoot 5er sight unseen?
Old 01-28-2008, 08:25 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I had my Scamp 13' shipped from MN, cost $1500.
Good Luck.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 1989 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
I have the opportunity to buy a old Bigfoot 5er that I'm pretty excited about. Only one catch..it's in British Columbia and I live in Pennsylvania Google tells me it's 2825 miles one way, so if I drive out to get it, I'll be on the road at least 6 days. Figuring motels, food, gas and tolls I'm probably looking at between $1500 and $2000 for the trip, not to mention blowing a week's vacation and the wear and tear on my truck. So shipping it looks pretty good if I don't go broke doing it. Has anyone ever done this and how did it work out? Any idea of cost?

Thanks
Moses
And, I think you would have to add on import taxes, and the person shipping would have to have a passport. Seems to me there are more FG trailers for sale on the east coast than anywhere else. Personally, I would look there.
SharonNDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:48 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler 1984
That's not blowing a weeks vacation. That's five wonderful days travelling across the Northern States to get it and five glorius days to return across the Canadian west and the fantastic views of the North Shore Lake Superior. What an oppertunity you have in store. Pick it up and first camping trip all in one. All you need is a place to keep it until spring.
Jim
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:54 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Old 01-28-2008, 10:09 PM   #8

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
That is sorta what we did.

We drove to Port Townsend, WA in the snow New Years and picked up our 25' Bigfoot. Then went on vacation to Gila Bend, AZ and back to California: 4,000 miles.

We got to experiance four seasons in 14 days.

We had a very nice two week vacation and got to know our new trailer.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:46 PM   #9

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I don't have any personal experience with this outfit, but I see a bunch of trailers up there to be shipped.
I think it works like an auction so there is no set price, just the lowest bid someone will deliver for you.

UShip

A lot of the eBay trailers that are won seem to use this to deliver.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:25 PM   #10

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Ford Explorer
Well I have had an experience with mine, I bought my Scamp that was in CT, and I live in KS, so its about the same distace as you are with yours. I shopped around for weeks, and finally came across someone with just enough extra room for it to fit on his flatbed trailer. I got it for $500 !! I was really amazed.. .... The only problem I had was that it took almost 2 months to get the trailer! So I suppose I got what I paid for.... Let me tell ya, that day I got it was like seeing the moon in person, as I had to wait for FOREVER! hahahaha lol it was pretty exciting, even though I had already had a 13ft Scamp in the past.

Oh the place where I found my shipper was www.uship.com if it helps... I wish you luck!
mcnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:46 AM   #11

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Moses
Try this site
http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/haulquery.pl
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:28 PM   #12

Thanks for the suggestions as to shippers. Talked to a local shipper and he quoted me 1.40 a mile, the same as Oliver. As far as enjoying a scenic trip to the Pacific NW and back, time constraints dictate that it would have to be a marathon of driving solo 16 hours a day (3 days each way) out and back. A rather grueling trip in my mind. Add in a 24 year old trailer with unknown maintenance history, and a tow vehicle with 100K on it, and the spectre of mechanical troubles looms threatenly.

I'm beginning to think that, as much as this 5er fits the bill as an ideal camper for me, this particular one is probably not going to work out, mainly because of the distance involved. I'm not folding my hand yet, but I'm probably going to give this one a pass.

Thanks for all the input!
Moses
Old 01-29-2008, 07:37 PM   #13

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
I don't have any personal experience with this outfit, but I see a bunch of trailers up there to be shipped.
I think it works like an auction so there is no set price, just the lowest bid someone will deliver for you.

UShip

A lot of the eBay trailers that are won seem to use this to deliver.
I can vouch for USHIP.com

I had a 2000 lb trailer/boat I wanted to get from Penn to Utah.
I put it up for bid and checked the winner's record just like eBay.. had good refs... and they towed it out behind a Isuzu box truck. These people make their living this way.

It was cheap.

R
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:45 PM   #14

Going to pass on this camper. If anyone is interested you can check it out at:

http://www.arbutusrv.ca/arbutusrv/index.php?t=5103&pg=1

I spoke to Ken Carstensen, who seemed like a nice guy.

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2008, 07:51 PM   #15

Trailer: Play Pac
Quote:

Thanks
Moses
HI Moses, I live in B.C. and am looking at a 17ft Boler trailer in N.C, but am in the same boat...maybe we could work something out. You can e mail me at home if you are interested welleris@hotmail.com
Liza S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #16

Name: Alex
Trailer: In the market
NW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmith100 View Post
I can vouch for USHIP.com

I had a 2000 lb trailer/boat I wanted to get from Penn to Utah.
I put it up for bid and checked the winner's record just like eBay.. had good refs... and they towed it out behind a Isuzu box truck. These people make their living this way.

It was cheap.

R
Hi Ron, would you be willing to provide the shippers contact info directly? I checked uship and they seem to be charging a healthy booking fee. If you liked your shipper then why pay a booking fee.
I am looking into having a trailer shipped clear across the US (east -> west).
Thank you!
Alex
ajsegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #17

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsegg View Post
Hi Ron, would you be willing to provide the shippers contact info directly? I checked uship and they seem to be charging a healthy booking fee. If you liked your shipper then why pay a booking fee.
I am looking into having a trailer shipped clear across the US (east -> west).
Thank you!
Alex
Alex

Do you realize this post was over 4 years old before you woke it back up?
Just checking.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #18

Name: Alex
Trailer: In the market
NW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Alex

Do you realize this post was over 4 years old before you woke it back up?
Just checking.
oops. Sorry I am new in the forum and am trying to find my way through.
Did I wake up sleeping dogs ? ;-)
ajsegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Woof.....
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #20

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsegg View Post
oops. Sorry I am new in the forum and am trying to find my way through.
Did I wake up sleeping dogs ? ;-)
Well maybe just one but he sleeps with 1 eye open I hear?

I just didn't want you to be expecting a response from a long dead thread.

Ed

That all rhymes!

Oh and welcome here too.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote