Homemade? Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2020, 10:57 AM   #1

Name: Tony
Trailer: Shopping
Kansas
Homemade? Scamp

Hi, I'm new to the forum and still searching for answers to this but haven't found anything yet so I thought I'd post in the meantime. There's a Scamp 16' for sale at a local insurance auction. The camper comes with a Bill of Sale - Destruction title aka scrap title, however, the fiberglass shell and interior are complete and in good condition. I'm assuming by the title type it won't be able to be registered through the normal salvage VIN inspection process even if it's fixed up though I could be wrong on that assumption. Kansas inspection offices are currently closed with everything going on so there's no one to call currently.

Assuming not the next idea would be to have a new trailer/frame built based on the old frame plus some upgraded suspension. Could this then be considered a homemade trailer since it would have a new frame but the old body? Has anyone seen or heard of anything like this?
I8daCookieZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:20 AM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
If the price is right.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by I8daCookieZ View Post
Assuming not the next idea would be to have a new trailer/frame built based on the old frame plus some upgraded suspension. Could this then be considered a homemade trailer since it would have a new frame but the old body? Has anyone seen or heard of anything like this?
You will need to check your state laws, when they are open again, but others here have talked about getting a “homemade” status of a restored Scamp. Also, depending on the year, Scamp used nonstandard vin numbers. Be sure to get it in your name before you spend a lot of money on rebuilding it. I would think that an insurance sale would be safe.
Scamps says:

Q. Where is the serial number?
A. The serial number is located on the tongue of the trailer on the door side of the trailer. It is stamped into the top of the 3″ x 1 ½” tubing. Most serial numbers will have 17 digits starting with “1S7”. Some older serial numbers will have 5 digits and start with an “E”. There were a few trailers made in the 70’s where the serial number was stamped on the top of the tongue opposite the door.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:56 PM   #3

Name: Carter
Trailer: Eco
Kansas
Tony, here in Kansas you don't have to register trailers under 2000 pounds. So legally, you're not obligated to do anything at all beyond put a "under 2000" plate on it.

On the other hand, the KS DMV is surprisingly good at these things. I thought for sure my previously-never-titled Eco was going to be a problem and worried for weeks that I'd get stuck with some bastardized title that would be forever wrong. Instead, they had no problem with it, and even managed to document that it's not a 71 (as previously thought) but is actually a 72.

So if you do need to go in, they're a good bunch. But you don't have to go in at all.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:01 PM   #4

Kansas
Thank you both. I did read through and see that Kansas had the 2,000 lb exemption. We are planning on doing whatever renovations/updates but ideally we would still be far enough under the 2,000 lb mark and not have to be overly cautious of what we're loading into it on trips. The only other concern would be if we ever move from Kansas to a state that doesn't have the exemption and run into any issues registering it in the new state. KS does sound pretty flexible with trailers though so I may be overthinking it
Old 03-25-2020, 04:48 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Homemade? Scamp

Is the exemption based on the UVW or the GVWR? Very, very few Scamp 16’s hit the road under 2000# loaded. I think early units rode on a 2200# axle, but most ride on a 3500# axle.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:01 PM   #6

Kansas
The highway patrol site says "Kansas law exempts trailers from registration if the total weight of the trailer and load being carried does not exceed 2,000 pounds." which I read as GVWR but yeah if it's too close to 2,000 pounds it isn't worth the headache of having to worry about how many pounds of cargo are loaded
Old 03-25-2020, 08:27 PM   #7

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
It a Scamp a trailer?

Quote:
The highway patrol site says "Kansas law exempts trailers from registration if the total weight of the trailer and load being carried does not exceed 2,000 pounds." which I read as GVWR but yeah if it's too close to 2,000 pounds it isn't worth the headache of having to worry about how many pounds of cargo are loaded
May be OK in your state, but others not. In my state a Scamp is not a trailer, it falls under RV laws.
Kansas

RVs and motorhomes are registered and the fees vary based on the age and weight of the RV. However, the RV isn’t considered an RV until it meets certain criteria set forth by the state.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:21 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Homemade? Scamp

Yes, requirements vary by state, and yes, some states specifically exclude camping and travel trailers from weight exemption rules. Do check the fine print.

As long as you comply with all rules in your state of residence, you can legally use the trailer in all 50 states. However, in cases where registering and/or titling a trailer is optional, it’s usually to your advantage to obtain the documentation with a properly assigned VIN. It makes a trailer easier to sell and increases its value. It could also aid in recovery in case of theft.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:05 AM   #9

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
With a 16 foot Scamp, good luck on this plan: "We are planning on doing whatever renovations/updates but ideally we would still be far enough under the 2,000 lb mark". Check weights in the real world for examples. Keeping the weight under 2,000 pounds could render the trailer to mobile tent status (no appliances).

The lack of a title will make resale options extremely limited.

+10 to reading the rules carefully. While some states do not require titles for small trailers, the exception is eliminated if the trailer is an RV. RV here is defined as "someone can sleep in it". Check those KS rules. And you may well be able to get a title for it.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:48 AM   #10

Name: Carter
Trailer: Eco
Kansas
Just FYI, in KS it's any trailer. They're shockingly lenient.

But again, they're also VERY good at helping you sort it out and get it titled if you wish to. I thought for sure my 50-year-old, never-been-titled trailer would be a nightmare, but they took it in stride.

Most everyone hates their DMV, but KS does a pretty good job.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:39 PM   #11

Name: ThatGuyBri785
Trailer: HUNTER
Kansas
I live in Topeka and ran into a similar situation with my 1972 Compact Jr.(in my case) The trailer never had a vin number. I've found a tag stamped on my trailer that had what looks like the manufacturer serial number. See photo. So I ended up taking it to the highway patrol inspection station. They looked all over the trailer for a vin and their record database didn't even go that far back. So they issued my trailer it's very own vin right then and there. I should add also I didn't have a title either. Downside I'm pretty sure it was titled as a homemade trailer not hunter camper etc. I'll have to take a look at it when I get home Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	133879
Brian Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 02:13 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Thank you both. I did read through and see that Kansas had the 2,000 lb exemption. We are planning on doing whatever renovations/updates but ideally we would still be far enough under the 2,000 lb mark and not have to be overly cautious of what we're loading into it on trips. The only other concern would be if we ever move from Kansas to a state that doesn't have the exemption and run into any issues registering it in the new state. KS does sound pretty flexible with trailers though so I may be overthinking it
Before you spend too mcuh time and mone on this trailer I would suggest yu read This thread at least the first couple of pages https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...rld-43010.html

Tags
scamp