How can you tell what year a Trailer make is? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2007, 10:00 PM   #1

Trailer: '77 Triple E Surfside
I own a SurfSide and I believe it to be a 1977 Model because the stamp from Triple E (The Mfg.) on the one side of the trailer lists the GVW and the the year 1977.

The sticker in the closet lists all of the other details like the manufacturer company, location, fridge make and model, furnace make and model etc. but not the year made. So I am comfortable in saying my Triple E SurfSide is a 1977 model based on the stamped metal plate on the exterior of my camper.

BUT..... I was looking at an older Boler the other day and I couldn't find anything on the unit that suggests it's year of make. It's a 13 foot unit and it's original colour seems to be a Mint green on bottom and white on top (did certain years have certain paint schemes??) and the information label in the one cabinet door lists Winnipeg at the location of production, and the weight, fridge make etc. but again No year and there is nowhere on the outside of the trailer that I could find a stamped metal plate etc.

Can someone please provide some insight?

Thanks
ericmarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:49 AM   #2

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
Can someone please provide some insight?

Thanks
When we went and shopped for our Trillium, the prior owner stated it was a 1979, no where on the trailer could I find any reference to the year (I still haven't). When I went to register it, they told me it was a 1976, I was surprised of course and asked if he was sure, and he said he was, they had record of it first being registered in 1976. After lots of confusion, and comparing it to other 1976 models and 1979 models, it is for sure a 1976.

So, you could always try a search on its registration history they seem to know.
brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:52 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
The Boler should have all of the same plates and stickers as the Surfside, so the problem appears to be that someone removed them, rather than not knowing what to look for.

If it were new enough, the VIN would follow current standards, and the year would be built into it. I'm guessing the Boler is too old for that (mine is certainly too old, and has just a simple serial number).

The Winnipeg location would help, if only Boler were still around. Bolers were made in Winnipeg for a long time (see Egg History- Boler descendants, Can you fill in the Blanks?), so that information by itself doesn't help much.

I assume the sheet has the serial number. Maybe other people with serial numbers lower and higher than this one know the years of their Boler can provide bounds for the date of this one?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:01 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If your trailer is newer than 1978 then the VIN number includes the year. You can use this decoder to figure it out, just enter your VIN.
http://www.analogx.com/contents/vinview.htm

This gives an explanation of the data codes.
http://www.analogx.com/cgi-bin/cgivin.exe?...p;Submit=Decode
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:15 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Thanks for the decoding links, Thane

While the standard may have been issued in 1978, it may not have been used until 1980, and may not have applied to all vehicles even then. My 1979 Boler definitely has an identifier (not really just a serial number) which does not follow the VIN standard.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks for the decoding links, Thane

While the standard may have been issued in 1978, it may not have been used until 1980, and may not have applied to all vehicles even then. My 1979 Boler definitely has an identifier (not really just a serial number) which does not follow the VIN standard.
Thanks to everyone for some insight. I've added some pictures of the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
front.JPG   label2.JPG  

Old 09-18-2007, 10:16 AM   #7

Trailer: Boler 1984
The sticker on my 84 also does not conform. The vin is a 6 digit day mo yr no. and the serial is an 11 digit, 000 day mo yr xx The last two digits I suspect is either the number built by year or by manufacturer. Is the rule US only? Not apply to Ontario? Mabee this guy didn't understand what was being asked when he filled out the form. Anyway the licence office accepted it and the insurance people too so I'm happily down thre road and camping.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:04 PM   #8

Quote:
The sticker on my 84 also does not conform. The vin is a 6 digit day mo yr no. and the serial is an 11 digit, 000 day mo yr xx The last two digits I suspect is either the number built by year or by manufacturer. Is the rule US only? Not apply to Ontario? Mabee this guy didn't understand what was being asked when he filled out the form. Anyway the licence office accepted it and the insurance people too so I'm happily down thre road and camping.

I looked at my sticker more and what you can't see from the photo that I posted is the Issue no.

My Issue # is 13677

I'll have to take that as the 13th of June, 1977.

?????
Old 09-20-2007, 07:09 PM   #9

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Can I wade into the issue with an educated guess as to year of Boler. Our '77 model # is listed as 1300-77 and mfg. in Earlton Ont. Your sticker in the pic. shows I think model # 13 5.(13' 1975) My brother had a Wini. built '72 with inset reflectors on the front and they were done away with later on in '72-'73 in favour of side markers only. The off set 8"X8" roof vent was standard in the early to mid 70's then replaced with the center mount 14"X14" like ours. This is all conjecture on my part as I have not even found the stamped # on the frame of our '77 and relied solely on the registration issued by the licence office.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Hi: Can I wade into the issue with an educated guess as to year of Boler. Our '77 model # is listed as 1300-77 and mfg. in Earlton Ont. Your sticker in the pic. shows I think model # 13 5.(13' 1975) My brother had a Wini. built '72 with inset reflectors on the front and they were done away with later on in '72-'73 in favour of side markers only. The off set 8"X8" roof vent was standard in the early to mid 70's then replaced with the center mount 14"X14" like ours. This is all conjecture on my part as I have not even found the stamped # on the frame of our '77 and relied solely on the registration issued by the licence office.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Thanks Alf,
I went to insure it today and they searched the previous owners information to find out what he had the Boler registered as - to give me insight. And as things go, He last registered the trailer in 1994. Manitoba Public Insurance records only go back to 1995.

I think I'll go with the fact that the trailer is a 1977 B13 made in Winnipeg, MB. Based on the Issue # 13677.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:43 PM   #11

Trailer: Trillium 5500
Quote:
Hi: Can I wade into the issue with an educated guess as to year of Boler. Our '77 model # is listed as 1300-77 and mfg. in Earlton Ont. Your sticker in the pic. shows I think model # 13 5.(13' 1975)
OK Alf... any guesses on my Trillium 5500? I'm told its an '81; the sticker inside states she was out of Markham; now I'm curious what the rest of the nine-digit V.I.N. # means.
55-3320116
'55' I assume stands for 5500 model. What part denotes how many were made?
I'm open to any theories!
Thanks!
Valerie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:12 PM   #12

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
that poor trailer doesn't have any feetsies!!!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote