How hard to Buy in BC - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2012, 05:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft 2000 Scamp
How hard to Buy in BC

Just wondering if anyone here in the "states' would like to comment on how difficult or not, it is to purchase a Escape or Bigfoot, as these trailers are looking pretty interesting to the wife and I. Just looking for comments about crossing border, registering etc. It seems like a lot of paperwork etc/duty . When I talked to the Escape plant they indicated it would be $2200 for delivery and 400 for brokerage fees, that adds a lot to an already higher purchase price . I have to say that all this research can be fun and frustrating.

Steve
Steve M K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 1994 Lil Bigfoot and 1967 Traveleze Royal Traveler
The border crossing is easy. Tammy at Escape will make sure you have every piece of paper you need--make sure your bank talks directly with her to iron out details. I assume Bigfoot would do the same, because they're currently pushing for US buyers.

When you cross make sure you have:
A) Whatever piece of paper(s) Tammy (or Bigfoot) says you need.
B ) A passport or enhanced driving license
C) Proof that your insurance will cover you in Canada. Your usual proof of insurance will not do. Call your company for a special card for POI. I' ve arranged for USAA to send me one every time I renew.
D) Some sort of registration for the trailer. But apparently Michigan is a bit odd on that topic. See this thread at the Escape Forum: Towing Unregistered
E) A self-reminder to be polite to the border guards.

For me the exchange rate and getting the money to Escape was the challenging bit. But Tammy and the credit union worked it all out. And Tammy explained to me carefully. And to my wife. And again to me. . .

There was no brokerage fee. I assume that would only happen if you had it delivered.

There was no duty. Just my expected state tax and registration fee.

Obviously, no delivery fee if you pick it up. Travel expenses, of course, but most folks think of the trip as a vacation with a goal anyway.

Good luck
Old 04-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Steve this was covered a short time ago on this thread.

As Bigfoot and Escape are both still in biz and are able to give you the recall letter that is required on newer trailers by US customs and as both have been building an selling trailers into the US for a long time you should have little trouble getting them cleared in regards to DOT requirements.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote