how to find a scamp or whatever - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2017, 10:13 AM   #1

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
how to find a scamp or whatever

OK I constantly read I cannot find a Scamp this seems to be the main one. I am going to post how I find things I see nothing wrong with this but if someone objects they can remove it!

We decided with our age tenting wouldn't work anymore such as getting off the ground so at this point we decided to look for an A-Liner used that is these are very hard to find I may add!

My solution the first thing I looked locally no luck! So what to do I was getting frustrated!

I did a 4 adjoining state search on Craigslist I know Craigslist you will get cheated no you wont you just have to use your head! With my search I got a hit in Chicago il. 350m away. I looked at his pictures, I called him we talked a bit I committed by sending him a deposit we picked it up 2 days later. We bought our 13f Scamp the same way!

Here is additional advice be wiling to offer a deposit if you lose it that's just part of the deal most people will offer to refund you money I know I would. If you make a deal have the cash in hand most sellers wont fool with checks or other foolery I can give you examples if you want!

I hope I have helped you searchers in some small way this is what has worked for us many many times in our past buying adventures which includes cars!

Good luck shopping.
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:49 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Casita
California
Personally I would never hand someone 10K+ in cash if didn't know them. That's asking for trouble. That forged title can look pretty convincing and your excitement over the new toy can cloud your judgement. Not to mention the scam that happens when an item is listed on craigslist or similar, you show up with cash in hand and are jut flat out robbed. If there is a branch of your bank in the sellers city meet them there and have a cashiers check drawn. If there is not a branch of your bank in their town bring a cashiers check and meet them at their bank for them to deposit it. At least that way everything will be recorded on hi-def security cameras.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:24 AM   #3

Missouri
money

well I just talked to a guy in Texas he is bringing cash but not 10k for my A-Liner I wont accept checks or any money order in any form. I just bought my Scamp cash in hand he bought a new camper made in Canada I can almost be he lugged cash with him risky crossing the border with cash I don't know if I would do it!

example a guy I know had a 25k racing engine he listed it on c/list guy calls they made a deal. buyer gave him a m/o off a bank on a sat. well you guess it there was no bank in existence for that m/o. sadly he was out his 25k but if he had dealt cash he wouldn't have lost his money but we are all trusting folk!

It seems in these new times there are many ways of defrauding people but I don't fret about it. I know when I bought my 40f bus the seller wanted 26k in cash I took it with me!

But to answer your comment yes we live in crazy times but there are honest folk out there!
Old 10-01-2017, 11:58 AM   #4

Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I just went with a friend to look at a Casita that the daughters were selling to settle their late fathers estate. She took 7K cash with her, didn't volunteer that info until examining the trailer. Then offered 6500, checked the paperwork, drove away with the trailer. Felt there was no problem dealing with a couple ladies in their 60's. A lot depends on what feeling you get for the seller.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:16 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You can cross the border with whatever amount of money you want ( that includes cash, cheques and securities ). But, if the amount is over $10,000, you have to declare it. Once declared, you're fine.
Movie producer coming into Vancouver declared $400,000 that he was carrying in cash in a couple shoulder bags.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:57 PM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
There is another option for payment. You can use the blank checks issued from your credit card company. Pre-approve it with your credit card company with a maximum amount so there won't be a scam alert when you go to use it. Take one along with you, you don't have to fill it out in advance, that way you can do some last minute bargaining. Be sure you do the final payment arrangement during banking hours. You then both go to the seller's own bank so they can get cash in hand in a safe location. That bank has the ability to secure the funds immediately for their customer by using that check.

I have used this method of getting payment from out of town customers who were buying one of a kind items from me. They wanted to purchase it on credit but I was not taking credit cards. There is no waiting for a check to clear when you use one of those credit card company issued checks to make a purchase. But as stated you have to do this during regular banking hours. Fortunately it is not unusual for banks and credit unions to be open for at least a few hours on a Saturday. The other advantage is credit card purchases generally do offer some buyer protection but you should check for the specifics of that with your credit card company.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 02:55 PM   #7

Missouri
credit cards and such

I have seen those checks and used them banks don't like them there is something about them but they wouldn't tell me what after that I didn't use them.

As for credit and such I wont do it to any extreme sorry! I have had the A-Liner for sale for a bit I kept getting calls and they wanted this and that finally I figured they were tire kickers and had no money!

Finally I got a guy that first of all had the cash at least I think he has I believe him. He gives me cash my wife and I sign off on the title. The guy I bought it from I gave him a bundle of cash he didn't even count it sort of weird! Finally I made him count it!

People I don't know and most people I know cash please best for everyone!
Old 10-01-2017, 02:57 PM   #8

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I just went with a friend to look at a Casita that the daughters were selling to settle their late fathers estate. She took 7K cash with her, didn't volunteer that info until examining the trailer. Then offered 6500, checked the paperwork, drove away with the trailer. Felt there was no problem dealing with a couple ladies in their 60's. A lot depends on what feeling you get for the seller.
wow she was a sharp cookie I have never tried that but I had it pulled on me one time. I decided what the heck I got rid of an extra car!
Old 10-01-2017, 03:57 PM   #9

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Personally I would never hand someone 10K+ in cash if didn't know them. That's asking for trouble. That forged title can look pretty convincing and your excitement over the new toy can cloud your judgement. Not to mention the scam that happens when an item is listed on craigslist or similar, you show up with cash in hand and are jut flat out robbed. If there is a branch of your bank in the sellers city meet them there and have a cashiers check drawn. If there is not a branch of your bank in their town bring a cashiers check and meet them at their bank for them to deposit it. At least that way everything will be recorded on hi-def security cameras.
So if someone hands you a forged title, how does it help doing the transaction at a bank?

I have handed over well in excess of $10K in cash to a person I did not know, most recently for my F150 and separately, for my Escape trailer. You can take a chance on people or you can fear getting screwed. Realize there are just as many SELLERS who get scammed, maybe more, than buyers. Lots of cashier check scams out there, I probably wouldn't take one if I was selling.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 05:37 PM   #10

Missouri
forged title

I don't know if I ever heard of a forged title but I guess anything can happen. I don't know how many deals I have done ebay, craigslist whatever I always paid my money or sold my item without a problem.

but I have to admit I got took on some electronic equipment one time and it was completely my fault for getting scammed. I will never forget it!
Old 10-02-2017, 01:12 PM   #11

Missouri
Man 400k very scarey to me!!
Old 10-04-2017, 11:59 AM   #12

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Use www.searchtempest.com
For wide area Craigslist search

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:01 PM   #13

Missouri
I never saw this before thanks gene
Old 10-04-2017, 01:54 PM   #14

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
You can also try www.adhuntr.com for nation wide craigslist search.
SteveV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:22 PM   #15

Missouri
buying

I have bought 3 cars and a p/u truck off ebay flew to every city to pick them up and drove them home but I wouldn't carry cash with me. I had them check with my bank and they could accept that or no deal.

Dealers have their ways little people don't have them they knew how to check me out!

bob

Tags
scamp