How to save money while on the road! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-02-2016, 02:41 PM   #1

Name: Matt
Trailer: Jayco
Texas
Talking How to save money while on the road!

Here are a list of tips and tricks to save money while RVing.

https://www.roverpass.com/blog/tips-...e-money-rving/

I especially liked the tips for saving gas & finding cheap places to park!

How do you save money while RVing?
Pullnotpush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Don't forget to stay at WalMart...
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:20 PM   #3

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
The most obvious money-saving tip is to pull a fiberglass rv instead of driving a monster RV bus!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:40 PM   #4

Name: L (aka Scout)
Trailer: Scamp
Nevada
Fiberglass economy

By pulling our 13' scamp with a 4-cylindar Honda, we traveled four states in two weeks over the holidays - visiting Phoenix, Dallas/Ft Worth, Austin, Albuquerque & Las Vegas. Stayed some nights in rest areas (Texas safety stops are awesome), some in KOAs, some in private campgrounds and one at a friend's curb. With lower gas prices, we did the entire trip and saw the whole family for under $1,000 (gas & lodging). We certainly can't fly to all those places and stay in motels for that price.
LBJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 06:43 AM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
4 cyl towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJohnson View Post
By pulling our 13' scamp with a 4-cylindar Honda, we traveled four states in two weeks over the holidays - visiting Phoenix, Dallas/Ft Worth, Austin, Albuquerque & Las Vegas. Stayed some nights in rest areas (Texas safety stops are awesome), some in KOAs, some in private campgrounds and one at a friend's curb. With lower gas prices, we did the entire trip and saw the whole family for under $1,000 (gas & lodging). We certainly can't fly to all those places and stay in motels for that price.
What Honda did you use? WE towed with a CRV for 6 years and were very happy?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:03 AM   #6

Florida
Saving Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullnotpush View Post
Here are a list of tips and tricks to save money while RVing.

https://www.roverpass.com/blog/tips-...e-money-rving/

I especially liked the tips for saving gas & finding cheap places to park!

How do you save money while RVing?
The nature of RVing itself. less of everything, makes it a cost effective lifestyle.

We find we eat less, have less clothes, buy fewer things, and have more fun. Due to the nature of the lifestyle we walk more and are healthier.

People often focus on the price of fuel and it is a significant expense, however when we do a loop of North America it amounts to about a 400 towing gallons and 400 exploring gallons, these days less than $200 a month. Equally important to mpg is vehicle reliability.

People who do weekend camping travel a lot more miles per day than someone doing a loop of N.A. Walking with a friend this morning he mentioned that when weekend camping he could easily tow 400 miles in a weekend with his diesel truck, more expensive fuel and lower mpg.

As to the cost of campsites there are a myriad of ways to save money, a clever person can average under $10 a night for camping fees, less than any apartment.

When we were traveling more extensively our biggest daily expenses was keeping our home, that cost us about $30 a day even though we only used it about 4 months a year. Now that we've sold our former family home in NH, our cost of home ownership is now about $10 a day.

Though cost is an issue in life, the good times we've had have been priceless. I would gladly have given up my prime earning years for 10 more years on the road. The reality is when we hit the road and retired early, we were at peak earnings, however if I had known the RV lifestyle earlier I would have quit at 48 when my kids finished college. Money is no replacement for time, particularly good times.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-07-2016, 09:41 AM   #7

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
.............if I had known the RV lifestyle earlier I would have quit at 48 when my kids finished college.
That is my plan, of course I will be 65 when my daughter finishes college! Marrying that younger woman seemed like the thing to do at the time.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:22 AM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We go on a monthly camping trip with 4 other couples in the summer. Two of the couples go to restaurants for all their meals ,while we eat at our campsite. Over the 4 days we camp each month their meal costs are 2 to 3 hundred dollars where our total food costs are about $50. It's nice to go out to eat on occasion but if we ate out everyday our food costs would exceed our fuel costs.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:41 PM   #9

Florida
Steve,

We also eat most of our meals in our trailer. We always eat breakfast in our trailer and often carry a lunch for our time exploring the area. We rarely eat out unless there are special or unique places in the area. We are more likely to eat lunch out than dinner; lunch costs less and usually is not as big a meal.

We've owned three RVs; in all of them it looked like no one has ever cooked on the stove, I know some people cook on campfires or grills most of the time, but the stoves really looked 'virgin'.

Another method of saving money is to not drive long distances between stops during extended travels. Often you can get better rates by staying a week or more. We've learned that every where has more to see than you can imagine and anywhere has something worth seeing. We know a little town on the coast of Oregon that we've been to seven times and each time has been an adventure.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-16-2016, 11:19 AM   #10

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Some Cabelas and Bass pro shops will allow overnighting also. Some Canadian Tire Shops?
Old 03-16-2016, 08:31 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Awww Mitzi...don't burst my bubble

Nothing like saving cash
Attached Images

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:02 AM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Greg...you're giving us a bad name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Don't forget to stay at WalMart...
Greg...greg...greg

Why'd ya have ta go n stir that pot?????

You my friend are going to give the fiberglass community a bad name.

You makes it sounds likes...I'm a low down....tight wad.....scoundrel.. that is out to take sumthin fer nuthin....by campin at that ther Walmart...

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 02:48 PM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I thought the part about freezing leftovers was a stretch... then I read about RVers growing a garden, what? A 40ft RV with a sod roof??
Of course any grazing animals would need to be taught to hold on tight at speed or while cornering.

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote