Illinois registration experience - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2018, 09:24 AM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
Illinois registration experience

I purchased my 2013 scamp from a couple in Indiana in March. Upon registering it in Illinois, i was charged $355 in use tax and an extra $115 for title, registration and license plate.

I got a call a couple of weeks ago from the Illinois Department of Revenue asking some follow up questions about the camper. Lo and behold, i received a check this week for a refund of $355 tax over payment. Unfortunately, no other explanation was included with the refund.

I spend some time on the Illinois tax website looking for reasoning, in case Illinois tries to change its mind and take the refund back at a later date and I came across the following.

Illlinois tax website

Quote:
What if I purchase (or acquire by gift or transfer) a vehicle from an individual or other private party?

You must use Form RUT-50 to report your purchase (or acquisition by gift or transfer) of a vehicle from an individual or other private party who is not a retailer of vehicles. Note: The purchase (or acquisition by gift or transfer) of a trailer or mobile home from an individual or other private party who is not a retailer of vehicles is not subject to this tax and does not require a tax form when you apply for title.
So in Illinois as long as you are buying from a private party, non retailer, no use tax is due! In a state that loves to tax the hell out of everything, this was great news.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:31 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Score one point for Illinois! They fixed the error and refunded to you.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:57 PM   #3

IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Score one point for Illinois! They fixed the error and refunded to you.
I do appreciate the refund, but it would have been nice for them to not charge me and hold on to my $355 for 4 months. I went to the main DMV office in the state of Illinois building in downtown Chicago and the employees were not educated enough to know the rules. The person taking my money just looked at the same charge he looks at for other vehicles and charged me the tax. The person doing my tittle and license plate thought that i possibly shouldn't be paying the tax, but he could not give a solid reason as to why an rv should be exempt or point to any literature stating it.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:16 AM   #4

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Triple E
British Columbia
In British Columbia the previous government decided they wanted more revenue, so they jacked up the taxes on a privately purchased vehicle to 12%. Prior to this it was 12% on dealer purchased vehicles, but only 7% on privately purchased vehicles. I voted against them in the last provincial election because I was totally PO with them over this.
Gerry Kiernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:58 PM   #5

Name: Deb
Trailer: Casita SD-17
Chicago, Illinois
Registry
and your Illinois plates will be $18 a year. They expire 0n 12/31 every year.
DebCost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:44 PM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Also in Illinois, I was charged a penalty for not registering our "new" Silver Cloud within the time frame specified after purchasing the trailer. To register, I had to show clear title from Oregon, state where purchased. We paid for the trailer in late January and picked it up for transport to IL in late April. However, Oregon notified us they were behind in issuing the title, so we waited until we received the title in July to officially register it in IL ( as instructed by a phone call to the head DMV office). At the DMV, I presented a written explanation of the situation and the title letter and title from Oregon. Everything registered smoothly. Then, I received a letter from the State saying I owed the penalty, since the trailer had been in IL since April, even though it still had legal Oregon plates. I paid the penalty (about $90) and nclosed another letter of explanation about the delayed Oregon title. Thy deposited my check with no response. Then, almost a year later, I received a check for $90 in the mail. No explanation at all. I cashed it and moved on!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:59 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Clearly the bureaucratic wheels turn slowly. But at least they turn!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:42 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
Also in Illinois, I was charged a penalty for not registering our "new" Silver Cloud within the time frame specified after purchasing the trailer. To register, I had to show clear title from Oregon, state where purchased. We paid for the trailer in late January and picked it up for transport to IL in late April. However, Oregon notified us they were behind in issuing the title, so we waited until we received the title in July to officially register it in IL ( as instructed by a phone call to the head DMV office). At the DMV, I presented a written explanation of the situation and the title letter and title from Oregon. Everything registered smoothly. Then, I received a letter from the State saying I owed the penalty, since the trailer had been in IL since April, even though it still had legal Oregon plates. I paid the penalty (about $90) and nclosed another letter of explanation about the delayed Oregon title. Thy deposited my check with no response. Then, almost a year later, I received a check for $90 in the mail. No explanation at all. I cashed it and moved on!
Odd, since it is legal to hold an open title in IllAnnoy, unless you wish to register the vehicle. That would explain the refund.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:44 PM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Clearly the bureaucratic wheels turn slowly. But at least they turn!
True, but mostly the stomach!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:34 AM   #10

Arizona
Registry
You know it! My gut is always in knots whenever I deal with the DMV. They have a way of making you feel like a criminal.

Several months back I had to obtain a duplicate title for a utility trailer belonging to a non-profit for which I am the statutory agent. Had all the paperwork with me including the latest annual filing. After 10 minutes of getting looked over like a piece of meat past the sell-by date and innumerable repetitive questions, the clerk finally huffs, "I'll have to talk to my supervisor."

I had my title in 2 minutes.

What is it about humans that makes us unwilling to stop and ask for directions?
Old 07-10-2018, 05:42 PM   #11

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
My gut is always in knots whenever I deal with the DMV . . .
Me too. I bought a Hunter and took the title to be transferred. I gave them the title, pointed to the camper in the parking lot, and showed the agent a picture of the manufacturer's plate. The agent informed me she could not transfer the title because Hunter is not in her database.

We went to another agent and got it done.
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:20 AM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Illinois Tax

To answer the original question, when you buy a trailer from an individual there is no sales or use tax charged by the state. They charged it to you in error. You only pay sales tax if you buy from a dealer.
terrytjaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:44 AM   #13

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrytjaden View Post
To answer the original question, when you buy a trailer from an individual there is no sales or use tax charged by the state. They charged it to you in error. You only pay sales tax if you buy from a dealer.
That wouldn't work in Texas as you pay taxes (6.25%) on all title transfers into your name, plus the title and license transfer fees, regardless of private sale, or dealer. Plus you better have insurance, or the state will not do the transfer.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:02 AM   #14

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
In Washington State, if you buy a trailer from an individual, you do not pay sales tax, but----- you are charged a "use" tax when you license the trailer. The use tax is exactly the same percentage as the sales tax would have been.

Many states have the motto- It's your money, and we want it now!
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:08 AM   #15

IL
Quote:
This is exactly the issue, but the person taking the money believes his only job in life is to take the money of every individual that comes to the window. When i got my plates (office is in the same room as cashiers window) they told me they didn't think it was right, but they didn't know how to convince the grouch at the cashiers window otherwise and I doubt he would have been inclined to go through the hassle of undoing his work and in doing so do "extra" work. That is the issue with Illinois and a lot of government in general, poor training, and the attitude of its not my problem. If you don't like your job go do something else, i work in a city government position, although I don't deal directly with people, i do see myself as working "for" them and not the other way around.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:38 AM   #16

Arizona
Registry
I'm sure motor vehicle employees have seen enough shady business to make them rather jaded and suspicious.

One of the best changes Arizona made was to staff a help desk- no appointments, no waiting- to answer questions and provide the right forms. That person is actually friendly, and for those who are not trying to pull off something illegal, you can get your ducks lined up before you have to face the one whose job it is to be suspicious.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:29 PM   #17

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
One of the best changes Arizona made was to staff a help desk- no appointments, no waiting- to answer questions and provide the right forms. That person is actually friendly, and for those who are not trying to pull off something illegal, you can get your ducks lined up before you have to face the one whose job it is to be suspicious.
Sure glad to hear that Jon .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
registration