Import from canada - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-20-2007, 06:46 PM   #1

Trailer: none right now
Hi, I read with interest John Grooms story of importing a trailer from us to canada.So what about the other direction? A very nice lady offered one to me thats less than 5hrs away but it`s in Canada.I turned her down because of passport laws(new this year) and import laws of which I havn`t read anything from your readers.
One last note of CAUTION.You get to looking for one thing and you read everything in general chat! It`s addictive!!!
Bill
Bill Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 Scamp 13 ft
Don't you only need a passport for flying? I thought we could still drive back and forth with a birth certificate...
Carol A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:32 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Don't you only need a passport for flying? I thought we could still drive back and forth with a birth certificate...
Thats my understanding At least for the time being.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:40 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17 ft
Registry
Quote:
Hi, I read with interest John Grooms story of importing a trailer from us to canada.So what about the other direction? A very nice lady offered one to me thats less than 5hrs away but it`s in Canada.I turned her down because of passport laws(new this year) and import laws of which I havn`t read anything from your readers.
One last note of CAUTION.You get to looking for one thing and you read everything in general chat! It`s addictive!!!
Bill
No experience importing Eggs, but...
I have purchased two Sea Kayaks manufactured in British Columbia and sold by Canadian dealers.
In both cases I took delivery, for a small/or no fee, in Washington state and avoided paying the National GST and Provincial sales tax. Between them, that adds up to 15% of the purchase price.
This was pre 9-11, but I don't think the duty/tariffs have changed - there aren't any!
The second seller was surprised how cheap the export brokerage fees were.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:11 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1700SGH (Stage II twoftitis)
Quote:
No experience importing Eggs, but...
I have purchased two Sea Kayaks manufactured in British Columbia and sold by Canadian dealers.
In both cases I took delivery, for a small/or no fee, in Washington state and avoided paying the National GST and Provincial sales tax. Between them, that adds up to 15% of the purchase price.
This was pre 9-11, but I don't think the duty/tariffs have changed - there aren't any!
The second seller was surprised how cheap the export brokerage fees were.
un-canadians can apply to have their GST refunded. In fact, you can usually do this at the airport if you're so inclined but I'm pretty sure you can do it remotely as well...

I know people who have done it and I do likewise whenever I visit Sweden (at the airport in stockholm, I stop at a booth and have my taxes refunded.)

It's probably not worth the trouble unless the purchase was over $500 or so... If you choose not to bother, then Canada thanks you for your donation. :-)

GST reimbursement mainpage
Herb P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 12:04 PM   #6

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
If you are buying privately, you would only pay GST, and this is refunded to non-canadians if you apply.
The passport laws are currently only for flying, land border crossings do not require passports until 2009.

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:25 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
I bought my Escape in Canada and brought it home to Oregon - really easy.

As folks have mentioned, the GST is refunded - but you need an original bill of sale and then proof that's registered in the US - a copy of your registration in your home state. The other thing you need is patience - takes them awhile to process everything and get you a check.

You can get a temporary travel permit from your DMV before you leave (good for 10 days).
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:48 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Your very correct. Birth Certificate and photo ID is all that is needed if driving across the border.... either way.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote