importing a RT to the USA from Canada - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-11-2015, 02:49 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Tennessee
importing a RT to the USA from Canada

Has any one bought a used camper in Canada and improted it to the USA...

how much did it cost.... how much paper work....
madduckdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:03 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
See here: Importing Travel Trailer to United States | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

There are also any number of threads about the topic on this site. A Google site search should turn them up.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:49 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Bottom line on buying from Canada, in all cases it has to be imported into the US by the BUYER. If a seller offers to bring it across (import it?) and hand it over in a parking lot, tell them no thanks. That is not only illegal, you will have to return the trailer to Canada and import it all over again. We have had problems with Canadians trying to sell their trailers in the states while on Vacation and it just can't be done.... Be careful and read the posted link at least 3 times.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:17 AM   #4

Name: Dan
Trailer: Shopping
California
Anyone taking advantage of the weak Canadian dollar? At 1.33 to 1 trailers (and Vehicles) seem quite cheap in Canada.

I want to buy a used F-150 and an Escape 21 foot (preferably used). Looking on Kijiji prices are much cheaper than USA. My buddy lives in Edmonton and can help.

Dan
SanDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:01 AM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
If your thinking of coming up to Canada to buy a RV, better make it quick!
We'll all be in our igloos SOON! 34 F at my place last night,,,
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:02 AM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
LOL by the back log of orders for Escapes I would suggest lots are taking advantage of it. ;-)

Note if buying a used truck from Canada there will be two items that you find on it that you will not find on a truck made for the US market. One is your speedometer it will be in KMH not MPH - you can have it changed out in the US for a couple of hundred dollars though if the vehicle does not have a built in means of resetting it yourself digitally (some makes of vehicles do). The other is Day light running lights. All vehicles sold in Canada have them. Turn the car on the headlights come on - no way to override that.

If purchasing a truck be warned that there are a lot of used trucks that come into BC from Alberta these days - that "could" be a problem on two fronts. One Alberta (calgary area) had a major flood a couple of years ago so the truck may or may not have gotten a bit wet ;-) also there is a big slow down in the Alberta Oil sands right now so companies are laying off and with that comes a lot of company trucks that are no longer needed that may have been more than a little abused or subjected to a lot of weather/road conditions (road salt) not seen in California! ;-)

Asking the seller for a Carfax will answer the question of where the truck came from.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:18 AM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
All vehicles sold in Canada have them. Turn the car on the headlights come on - no way to override that.
I can't speak for all Canadian vehicles, but in my Firefly, if you pull the emergency brake to the first click, it is not engaged, but the running lights go off.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:14 AM   #8

Name: A&B
Trailer: 2011 Casita SD
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Note if buying a used truck from Canada there will be two items that you find on it that you will not find on a truck made for the US market. One is your speedometer it will be in KMH not MPH
I can't speak for all vehicles but mine which was purchased in the USA has a speedometer that is in both MPH/KPH. Larger numbers in MPH. The odometer is strictly in miles.
As for Daytime Running Lights a simple removal of a fuse would disable my DRL, but not sure why anyone would consider that.
AandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:28 PM   #9

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
The Volvo has daytime running lights... I've always considered it a safety feature and a convenience (the lights also go off when the key turns off, so no forgetting to turn them off). The downside is that when I drive another car I don't even think of turning lights off. Sorry dear daughter, mummy meant well.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:03 PM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
This is totally off topic, but I rented a car in the states with daytime running lights. The guy following me pulled into my hotel parking lot to tell me that my tail lights were dark. I never thought about it, since all the interior dash lights were on. But no exterior running lights if you don't actually turn on the lights. On my Fly, the dash lights are off if I have not turned on the headlights, and running lights.

I think this is a safety issue.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:46 PM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
This is totally off topic, but I rented a car in the states with daytime running lights. The guy following me pulled into my hotel parking lot to tell me that my tail lights were dark. I never thought about it, since all the interior dash lights were on. But no exterior running lights if you don't actually turn on the lights. On my Fly, the dash lights are off if I have not turned on the headlights, and running lights.

I think this is a safety issue.
Agree. It has happened to me several times, and I have seen it happen to others way too frequently.

My old Toyota Sienna (DRL-equipped) was like your Fly- a dark instrument panel alerted me to the fact that my nighttime lights were off. In my newer Honda Pilot (also DRL-equipped), the panel is illuminated all the time, so no visual reminder.

Most newer vehicles, including my Pilot, have an auto setting for the lights. I believe the manufacturer intends for you to leave it in the auto position all the time, which will automatically switch from daytime to nighttime lighting when the sensor says to, and will turn all lights off when the ignition is off.

However, the sensor does not recognize dusk and/or inclement weather conditions too well, so I still have to manually turn on full lighting sometimes.

Too smart, and yet not smart enough!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:47 PM   #12

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Same "Off Topic"
You didn't mention what car you were driving, but the GM's of the early to mid 00's had automatic daylight running lights and headlights that you have to over-ride if you didn't want them to work. They even dimmed your dash at night and made them brighter in daytime via a small sensor on the dash. Sometimes, if I stop I traffic under a bridge the headlights come on until I pull back into the sun. Also works going into a tunnel in the daytime. Better than slick to moi...

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote